Need help

bigbuttprincess

Chieftain
So, in the beginning of the game I'll be dominating my continent and then I'll start meeting the civs on the other continents and there's one of them with like 1200 more points......but why.... :confused:

Out of curiosity, what level are you playing on?

I've had similar experiences. Sometimes it is bad luck: my continent is relatively small, mostly desert and after eliminating all the civs on it the luxury resources are still limited, etc. Another situation that occurs on continents is: one civ on the other continent will gobble up all the city states and other civs over there. I'll sail over pretty early on and find a single dominant civ with all the happiness resources and no real counter.

It has made me do more exploration earlier than I used to with say Civ 4. Also, I will sometimes go proactive to cripple a dominating civ on another continent, long before I'm actually ready to engage them fer realz. Sometimes this means razing a city or two or destroying improvements (which isn't as useful as it used to be with cottages). One diplomatic way to do this is to bribe other civs to war dec the dominator. Be careful with this, however, because sometimes it will result in the war deccing civs getting eaten alive, making your problem worse!

I always have this problem, even on pangea; for example on my current game Hiawatha started in a peninsula and managed to cram 20 cities there... I have only 7 and the other AIs even less.

I'm playing on Prince, and I've played a ton of games and it keeps happening. I've only won once.:mad:

Or at least more information. Next time you come across this.. what Map/Civ/strategy are you playing, what score do you have, what score do they have, what turn is it?

Do you only play on Prince, or have you tried to other levels of difficulty to see it the same thing happens?

I agree that it seems to often be the case that one AI will be the one the game 'chooses' to be your main rival.

I'm on Continents, I've played warlord and that was too easy so i upped it to prince, I didn't think i could go with a higher difficulty if i couldn't win on prince. I had 600 points once and I think it was russia who had around 1800 points. I always play on Germany or Rome. And either Russia, Gandhi, or Alexander are also way ahead by the time I find them. I don't usually find them until around Frigates because I tended to focus on conquering my continent first.

It seems that every time, there is a Civ who just dominates the entire other continent. Even though I dominate my whole continent, they always are way ahead. They enter the Modern era right as I enter the Industrial. And it could be in yea 1800 that they enter the Modern era, it just seems lopsided.

I could just suck at Civ V.

So, in the beginning of the game I'll be dominating my continent and then I'll start meeting the civs on the other continents and there's one of them with like 1200 more points......but why.... :confused:

I have that all the time on the continents map. Its a big reason why I play on the fractal maps a lot. The fractal maps seem to be more balanced: very rarely does one civ dominate a huge swath of land.

The only solution I've found when one civ is dominating the other continent is to go for a domination victory. Wait (or take the other AIs capitals) until only you and the AI civ are the only ones that have your capital left, send a huge army over there, and take his capital. The moment you take the last capital the game ends. You don't have to worry about defending it. Granted this strategy gets a lot harder if their capital is in the middle of the continent instead of along the coast.

Just play more. The key is in the right amount of expanding and warmongering. At prince level you should ALWAYS out tech the AI.

I'm on Continents, I've played warlord and that was too easy so i upped it to prince, I didn't think i could go with a higher difficulty if i couldn't win on prince. I had 600 points once and I think it was russia who had around 1800 points. I always play on Germany or Rome. And either Russia, Gandhi, or Alexander are also way ahead by the time I find them. I don't usually find them until around Frigates because I tended to focus on conquering my continent first.

It seems that every time, there is a Civ who just dominates the entire other continent. Even though I dominate my whole continent, they always are way ahead. They enter the Modern era right as I enter the Industrial. And it could be in yea 1800 that they enter the Modern era, it just seems lopsided.

Well, on Prince the AI doesn't get any special bonuses like it does on higher difficulties so if they are way ahead of you that means that they must be playing better.

Science in Civ 5 is primarily based on your population. If you want to tech faster you need either bigger cities or more cities.

no no dont say that. Im on the same shoes with u when im playing on prince, king or now emperor. Always leaving far behind in point, my opponent always get this multiple point larger then me.

That is because, the point are count on many aspect, first land area, then number of city, population, culture, military, technology. IM always ahead at technology, if im not, i have my dangerous troops and strong economy to wipe them out. Even when the results of the calculation seems impossible for u to beat them, but its not reflects the implementation.

Just pick the right tech, sling shot to longsword or rifle, then bash them. And read aimless gun thread on how he won the game on deity. It can help u to figure how to win this game.

Good luck to u!

If your playing on Prince with cont try this...
1. Become allies with all the CS on your cont.
- Make more TP than farms. 2:1 or even 3:1 your call based on ICS
- Patronage SP is your friend.
2. You shoulod also try and create about 3 cities of your own before 100 tunrs.
- It is best if you have your worker focus on the LR so your :) stays pos.
3. Only take over one civ on your cont eraly in the game. (say around 100 turns)
- Obviously you will need to bulid your army and you should be able to conquer
the civ with archers and should not need siege units.
4. Explore as fast as you can and allie yourself with as many CS as you can
- Patronage SP is your friend

If you follow this outline and your judgment you should be above or around the AI in pts. Unless you get a really crappy draw! Let me know if it works out for you... Goodluck!

When you say you're 'losing', how are you losing? Just because they have a higher score doesn't mean they're going to win.

Im finaly back to my game and continue my last game, i thought im already get upper hand when im start becoming super power nation in my continent. And i move my caravel, try to figure it out and socialize with other unknown nation. And i got this greatest view at my caravel deck, i met an Alien nation, Persia, Siam, Russian, US and Egypt. I have top score in my continent, which is 500, but Persia got 1500, Siam 1000 and the rest are lower then me. Persia already got destroyer, Infantry and all of that creepy stuff, while me still using knight and riffleman, my caravel anchor next to his destroyer, seems like the past meeting the far future.

But im already facing the exactly same situation at my King game, in that time was Liz. And im still optimist to come out as a winner, because

1. Tech does not really effect the military if u already have tech that can provide u with certain unit. Sea unit : battleship, Land unit : Mec Inf. When i reach my first Mech Inf in my last game, Liz already at future tech and have this giant death robot. But i feed her robot well until it explode, lots of cookies from my battleship for the dearest death giant robot.

2. I dont try the latest patch yet, but still, in continent game, u can overwhlem your intercontinent rival with naval unit to crush their land unit and naval. Then building a city in ugly unhabbitan island, so your ship can park there, have a good time and being fix while other receive progressive training in your rival coast.

Top Bottom