Nethack

Find him. Kill him. Take back what is rightfully yours.

Killed him already (at least 6 times), all I got was the book of the dead and a fake amulet (I know because I can put it in my bag).
I have no idea where the candelabrum is, too. Any chance it's lying around down below ? :mad:
I should have been paying more attention, but I kind of panicked...:blush:

If you have retrieved the amulet, you no longer need the candelabrum... unless you want it for a higher score. Just find the real Rodney and take back what is rightfully yours. :pat:

Oh geeze. What a total waste of Sokoban.

"You hear a crunching sound..."

What do you think that lil rock mole was munchin on, huh? Nope... not a boulder. Something far more precious. <_<; doubt it even got intrinsic reflection from it or anything. I don't have enough charges in my wand of undead turning to kill it enough times to appease me D:<!!!

So, I finally got around to compiling Nethack again, and have played 31 games. Early on it was pretty ugly, I was getting stomped on around dungeon level 3. The last few games have been pretty good though, and except for running into YASD, were well on their way to starting the quest.

Top 3 scores so far:

No Points Name Hp [max]
1 83713 Arcana-Wiz-Elf-Fem-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom on level 18. Killed by a rock troll {17606}. - [80]
2 37964 Ugg-Bar-Orc-Fem-Cha died in The Gnomish Mines on level 6 [max 11]. Killed by a priest of Mitra, while paralyzed by a monster {7986}. - [109]
3 36645 Graagh-Bar-Orc-Mal-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom on level 2 [max 9]. Killed by Mr. Gweebarra, the shopkeeper {9261}. - [96]

The first one there is really annoying. That was the first character I've played so far that I thought was going to be ascendable. Cleared out the mines, picked up the luckstone at the end, and BUC id'd everything. Soko was a boh, and I got my pet to steal Gauntlets of Power from a shop on level 2 or 3, so I could carry everything without being burdened. Thanks to the GoP, I could deal some serious damage with daggers, and I quickly skilled that up to Expert. My curse in this game was not finding a single ID scroll, so I had huge piles of un-ided scrolls/wands/rings. The death was really stupid, I had been trying to lure the troll onto an altar so I could sac it without moving, and ran into a landmine. That dropped me to 20hp, so I burned the last charge of my wand of fire on the E word, in the pit. I then tried to crawl out of the pit, rather than put on my ring of levitation... After crawling out, the troll whacked me once with his polearm, and I croaked. Had I slipped on the ring, and run away without burning the charge, I could've made it around the corner and been safe from the troll. Had a magic lamp, which if I had blessed I could've used for a spellbook of identify, but I was enjoying the perma-light source so much I didn't want to give it up. In hindsight, I should've just gone ahead and tried to get the wish out of it, a regular lamp is still useful, and I would've found a spellbook of light eventually.

The second entry was also annoying. Made it down to mines end, but couldn't figure out what was luck and what was load, so I left them and came back up to minetown to id/sell. Altar was lawful, I was chaotic, and a neutral unicorn wandered in while I as buc id-ing, so I decided to convert the altar. As soon as I did, the priest paralyzed me, and killed me where I stood. I didn't even get a chance to drink a potion or fight back :(

The third entry was pretty silly on my part. I had 4 blessed potions of healing/extra healing, and never drank them. I cleaned out 2 scroll shops that were at least 20 squares each, and slaughtered dozens of Kops. And then died to a shopkeeper that was 1-hit away from dieing himself, all because I forgot to drink the potions I'd stolen from previous shopkeepers. The absolute worst part about this one is that because it was on dungeon level 2, it didn't even leave a bones file.

And then just because they were so funny, I'll post the bottom 3.

29 198 Legarda-Val-Hum-Fem-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom on level 2 [max 3]. Killed by a large mimic {330}. - [16]
30 67 Legarda-Kni-Hum-Fem-Law died in The Dungeons of Doom on level 1. Fell into a pit {172}. - [16]
31 4 Anturas-Tou-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom on level 1. Killed by a sewer rat, while unconscious from rotten food {22}. - [10]

That first one was in a shop, I walked into it trying to get to the scroll behind it. E-word didn't write properly, was killed in 2 turns.

Second one was hilarious. I had just finished killing off a jackal while skilling two-weaponing, and it took me down low on hp. Took 1 step, fell in a pit trap, and died.

The last one was .... Killed a newt, ate it's corpse hoping for a "mild buzz", and it turned out to be a rotten corpse; killed by a rat 22 turns into the game.

--------

Well, I've been having fun. Wizards that start with at least 17 Int seem to be the easiest so far, as hunger-less spell casting seems pretty overpowered. Especially when they get up to level 8-10, and start having a decent power reserve. In my last Wizard loss, I should've done a lot more casting, especially as I had 20 Int, and 161 max power (132 when I died). Only 3 spells known though, Force Bolt, Haste Self, and Wizard Lock. 3%/76%/12% chance of failure respectively.

The rock mole eats 3370 gold pieces!

I dropped a big stack of gold in a shop to try and get my pet to carry it out again to rip off the shop, and a rock mole spawned. Before I even had a chance to try and get my gold back, it was gone :( No protection racket for me :(

Playing as a samurai, bought a magic lamp from Minetown, wished for a rustproof blessed +3 Fire Brand. Now I'm slaying monsters while twoweaponing with Fire Brand and my katana. Just killed a mind flayer(with a wand of fire). w00t.

Edit: D'OH!

I don't like polymorph traps in Gnomish Mines. Two vrocks and a red dragon killed me(I had a Fire Brand and all of them had a fire resistance...).

I don't like polymorph traps in Gnomish Mines. Two vrocks and a red dragon killed me(I had a Fire Brand and all of them had a fire resistance...).

I hate them when I find them by wandering into them, I love them when I find them by something else walking into them, and I have a magic whistle for my pets. I've spent thousands of turns total on trying to get good pets. In my current game I have a Jabberwock and a Wight; I just tamed a cat and a warhorse though, so I'm tempted to wander 20 levels back to the poly trap and try to get two more tough pets.

Playing as a barbarian called Bleb. Experience level is 15. AC -15. Twoweaponing with a blessed rustproof +4 Fire Brand(found from a bones pile) and a blessed silver saber. I have a grey dragon scale mail, speed boots and gauntlets of dexterity. Max HP is 193. Just cleared the castle, now searching for a portal to Fort Ludios.

Yay. :D

Why Ludios? Do you need the gold to buy off a priest, or are you just hoping for some good wand drops? Make sure you have reflection :)

In my game, I'm standing on the upstairs on the Medusa level, staring at a black dragon that was summoned by the titan, and I don't have reflection. I figure I can get 1 shot off with a wand of death, but if it misses, I'm probably toast. I might just run up stairs and do a bunch of summon+saccing in the hopes of getting some form of reflection.

Well, I filled all the trap doors in castle with boulders to get in(I didn't have an instrument to play the passtune with, so I filled the trap doors, as I didn't want to wait so long for the Heart of Ahriman to be invokeable again), and after that I realised that now I couldn't enter the Valley of the Dead. But, I found a level teleport trap, wished for the Master Key of Thievery(teleport control, warning, half physical damage), and teleported to Gehennom.

I don't need any more wands, I have two wands of death already, and also several wands of fire, magic missile and lightning.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'm SO stupid!

I had no troubles at all in my game, fabulous armor(GDSM, helm of brilliance, cloak of protection, gauntlets of dexterity, speed boots, all blessed and rust/fireproof), two great weapons(blessed +6 Fire Brand and a blessed silver saber), 4 wands of death, two artifact items etc.

AND I CHOKE ON A TROLL CORPSE!!

IIRC you only get a warning when you're not already satiated.

Carnivorous pet is the best way to dispose of troll corpses... if it's not a water troll, you can throw it into water... then watch as the troll regen and then drown.

Or just keep killing it. Eventually it will fail to revive.

Well, I didn't need to eat the troll, as I could have slain it again in one or two hits, without it making me almost any damage(even a mastodon made about 10-15 HP damage to me per turn it attacked)...

Hi everyone! I started playing Nethack recently and have had a hell of a time dying constantly from completely avoidable deaths of poisoning and starvation. I too seem to be learning not to attack monsters greater than me, but it takes time to tame my impatience in this amazing game. But now I encountered a seemingly unsurpassable obstacle. Quite often the game generates this vault or room or space where there are only a handful of doors and no way out. I killed the killable, eat my food and even prayed, but there seems not to be a way out of these places. Sometimes I go up again with the innocent hopes of returning and finding a way out of it, but that it does not happen. I tried offering, looking on walls for invisible doors etc to no avail. So finally I only can either kill myself or return to the surface and quit the game to my utter dissapointment. Is there a way out in these situations? Am I missing some basic, obvious magic spells or it does happen to all Nethackers?
Cheers!

But now I encountered a seemingly unsurpassable obstacle. Quite often the game generates this vault or room or space where there are only a handful of doors and no way out. <snip>. Is there a way out in these situations? Am I missing some basic, obvious magic spells or it does happen to all Nethackers?
Cheers!

Stand next to a wall and press s to search for hidden doors. Each time you search you will look for things in the surrounding 8 squares, so you don't need to search on every square of the room.

It's not a guaranteed 100% success though... it depends on your Wisdom score, and I assume Luck plays a part too. To speed things up, you can press n10s to search 10 times at once. The game will stop immediately if you find anything.

If you have uncursed but unidentified wands, you can try identifying them... among the wands there's a wand of secret door detection.

Failing that you could also try kicking the walls... you will get your legs hurt and lose some HP, yes, but you can rest and then try another spot. It's not like you have other things to do, right? :p

Many thanks! I will try it next time I get in a cul-de-sac, which will be soon I guess. I've just been killed by a Iguana (no idea they were so powerful, I had some 40(40) when it happened so I will think twice next time I encounter the damned lizard...However, in the same game I have learnt how to open a box/chest! I don't you guys, but I find it exhilarating when I learn something new on my own...This game rocks allright, and keeps active the imagination at the same time :)

(I will continue reading spoilers though!)

You can loot a container (you use this command to take a bridle off your mount as well).

Though better untrap first to be sure there's no booby traps. If it is locked, you can apply your lockpick or other similar tools to try to unlock it. You can also kick it, but fragile items like potions inside might break. Or force it, if you have a weapon ready. Blunt weapons will be used to destroy the container (same risk as kicking), while bladed weapons might break in the attempt, so better have some uncursed spare knives/daggers ready.

Nethack gives you lots of ways to solve a single problem. ;)

Glad to see more people are playing, it's quite an enjoyable game :) Once you start getting past the point that starvation is no longer your worst enemy, you'll find out about all kinds of other nasty ways to die :)

For poison resistance, some classes have it as a built-in intristic, but what I prefer is Orcs. Not only do they get poison resistance (so you can eat most things without worry), but they can be cannibals too :D Just don't eat Zombies.

If you're interested, here is a good beginners guide to Nethack. It's a little spoliy, but not too much. The other stuff on that website is full of spoilers though, so you may not want to read any more than that.

If you have anything you'd like to know about NetHack, such as strategies for each roles etc., then visit Wikihack, most likely it has the answer to your question about NetHack.

Top Bottom