[R&F] Netherlands First Look

I think with the way districts and wonders now take up entire hexes, this statement about Civ V and Civ VI hex size is untrue.

Old City Jerusalem is a square kilometer. That would include a holy site and a city center, so 0.5 km for a district based on Jerusalem's size.

I don't think you can directly correlate. How many 10000 sq km "Commercial Districts" do you know?

Ah... I know I cannot directly correlate - but that is not a problem. I underestand even the commercial center is drawn to "fill" one hex, it really represents a highly commercially-specialized town laying inside that area (even not just a town but several important trading zones). Same way I underestand a "market" that provides relevant benefits for a full civilization is not just a grocer store, but a city-sized market plaza, or several smaller specialized markets scaterred not very far away one from another in a commercial region.

It's the other way around: I underestand the market does not take all the hex, I underestand the polder does not take all the hex... is the assumption that the hex only contains the four streets of the commercial hub, the same one that assumes that there is no "space" for ships to cross the tile if you put a polder in it.

And, it is that same assumption the ones that makes me have gigantic sized archers (higher than a modern 60-store building), shooting acroos a million people city, to a single lancer whose leg is as big as the tower of the university bulidng (and that, btw, can "cross" it without destroying it). I see two full armies, one made mostly of archery units, that if takes the initiative can harass the lancer army stationed in the university region (not necessarily in the campus itself), and come back to their strategic position whitout entering in full-front combat.

There are limitations in the representation, therefore 100% realism cannot be achieved, but I don't know. For me, it feels much more real this way ;)

Sincerely, I think there are much more difficulties to correlate the other way around.

Or, in other words:

I think with the way districts and wonders now take up entire hexes, this statement about Civ V and Civ VI hex size is untrue.

Because you are measuring down-top, assuming the represented size of the units/wonders/districts is correct... but if this is correct ¿why I am able to train units in some barracks which have barely the size of one of their feet.
The hex measurement is made top-down, assuming we are playing in a world roughly the size as ours... it's ok if you want to play 5000 years of history in a much smaller planet, but I think the "awe-inspiring" view of "leading your civilization" is we are assuming an earthly scale.

Stating that a hex is 10k km^2 without reference is completely pointless. I can play on a 'normal' earth map op ginormous-extra-plus earth map and have these dimensions be completely out of whack...

I think its nice what they did with polders.
I like sea tiles and coast for their aesthetics but I usually avoid them like the plague because they are so useless so I always go inland. Finally there's one more Civ thats actually nice for settling along coast. I especially like the production bonus.
The trade bonus from incoming routes I feel can also be important on higher difficulties. With other Civs expanding fast on Deity/Immortal and sending lots of trade routes to you this could give significant early game culture yield especially when combined with other traits you can select boosting trade.

Wilhelmina's Agenda is called Billionaire: She likes Civs that send trade routes to her, and dislike those that don't send them.

I never realized Wilhelmina was that wealthy, but monarchs tend to be wealthy. :p

Wilhelmina's Agenda is called Billionaire: She likes Civs that send trade routes to her, and dislike those that don't send them.

I never realized Wilhelmina was that wealthy, but monarchs tend to be wealthy. :p

I'm just glad it's not like "Tries to get as much money" like with Sedenok, I like bit of variety.

Sedenok? Interesting spelling of this name :lol:

So, this is one of the variants how could Sean Bean mangle the name, like he does with some others (like "Taovaraman" :crazyeye:) :p

I have yet to memorise her name and I know I butcher ir badly everytime xD. I will be nice to Korea on my first playthrough I SWEAR.

Just googling I found out that she was the world's first female billionaire.

So. Does anyone know why the Dutch symbol is a post horn?
I'm Dutch myself, but haven't a clue.

Picture from the livestream, symbols above "new era thresholds".
The third symbol is the Dutch, between Korea and Persia

Well, I think it's a post horn? Might be something else?

So. Does anyone know why the Dutch symbol is a post horn?
I'm Dutch myself, but haven't a clue.

It''s from the royal standard. Probably because they went with Wilhelmina.

The royal house is Called "Van Oranje-Nassau".
Oranje comes from the little County in the South of France "Orange" which William the Silent inherited from his uncle. Their symbol is the Horn..
Nassau is from the German County from where William grew up and has the Lion as a symbol.
Both use the color Orange in their standard and Nassau also uses Blue. They were combined with White and are used in the Dutch flag (later the Orange changed to Red).

The horn is more a royal symbol and not a symbol that is identified by the Dutch as representing the Dutch as a people, like the Lion did.
Maybe even a Windmill would have been better :p.

Last edited:
Ah, never knew about the horn. Knew the rest, but not about the horn. You learn something new everyday ;)

The lion would've been more fitting and recognisable.

Origins are probably here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Orange

"The horn that came to symbolize Orange when heraldry came in vogue much later in the 12th century represented a pun on William of Gellone's name in French, from the character his deeds inspired in the chanson de geste, the Chanson de Guillaume: "Guillaume au Court-nez" (William the Short-Nosed) or its homophone "Guillaume au Cornet" (William the Horn). The chanson appears to incorporate material relating to William of Gellone's battle at the Orbieu or Orbiel river near Carcassonne in 793 as well as to his seizure of the town of Orange."

So its more like: I am a cuddly leader of Netherlands but you know I still claim that part of southern France there - DOW on Catherine :)

Top Bottom