New Age of Empires II & Age of Mythology expansions

Yeah, Mali has also been confirmed:

Infantry civilization

Buildings cost -15% wood
Infantry +1 pierce armor per Age (starting from Feudal Age)
Gold Mining upgrades free

Unique Unit:

Gbeto (ranged infantry)

Unique Technologies:

Tigui: Town Centers fire arrows
Farimba: Stable units +3 attack

Team Bonus:

University researches +80% faster

http://www.forgottenempires.net/aoak/civilizations/malians

AoEII and AoM expansions?

+1!

Man, this brings back memories. Am I the only guy stoked for the Age of Mythology expansion? AoE2 was awesome, but I was on a real classical history kick right as AoM came out and that has long been one of my favorites.

Ethiopians have been revealed:

Archer civilization

Archers fire +15% faster
Receive +100 gold, +100 food when advancing to the next Age
Pikeman and Halberdier upgrades free

Unique Unit:

Shotel Warrior (infantry)

Unique Technologies:

Royal Heirs: Shotel Warriors are created nearly instantly
Torsion Engines: Siege workshop units blast radius increased

Team Bonus:

Towers and Outposts +3 LOS

http://www.forgottenempires.net/aoak/civilizations/ethiopians

A little surprised by that one.

+1!

Man, this brings back memories. Am I the only guy stoked for the Age of Mythology expansion? AoE2 was awesome, but I was on a real classical history kick right as AoM came out and that has long been one of my favorites.

For me, AOM was just alright. They went a little overboard with the whole unit/counter-unit dynamic, and the battles ended up being way too rock/paper/scissors. I also didn't like that the armies were so small (30 units per group IIRC?)

I'll probably get the new AOM expansion when it eventually goes on sale.

A few observations after having played two random maps from African Kingdoms:

-The Malian UU, the Gbeto, is overpowered. Their range should probably be comparable to throwing axeman. As it stands, an infantry with that strong of an attack with a range of 6 is too powerful. They do get chewed up by massed archers, though, so mix in skirmishers.
-Carracks are a bit like floating scorpions. They're weak. I ended up giving up on them and building galleons instead.
-The Portuguese get a unique building in the imperial age, the feitoria. It's a building that uses 20 population and generates resources. Useful for some extra stone and gold in the late game. Not entirely sure yet if they're worth the population points.
-No Moors :(

Berbers are supposed to represent Moors too.

I think that the Feitora is ill-placed. I don't like that in an African expansion, an European civ is the first to get three unique items.

Also it's Portugal. I'd expect *three* unique items to belong to a larger civ.

(Yesyes they were large, but really? THREE items?)

Point is, the development would have been better spent on say a Swahili civ. They were a trading naval civ too, would be nice to have African civs other than the stereotypes, they could've had a feitora-style building easily..

Just tried Malians and have to say, I don't *think* the Gbeto aren't that overpowered. They're indeed powerful but they're very very brittle and should be handled thereafter. I was playing a friend who relied quite a bit on the Ethiopian UU, which was a mistake because they're too brittle, but they were very fast and very quickly took my Gbeto down. I had to use a mix of units to retreat the Gbeto into - Champions are good for that. I'm very sure that if he'd used cavalry or Eagle Warriors or perhaps just Archers, the matchup would have been much more balanced; especially heavy cavalry seems extremely threatening.

But it's just one game.

Top Bottom