New Civ: Australia

Aranor

Emperor
Australian Civ for Warlords 2.08​
Now for modular BtS

Leader: John Curtin (Protective/ Industrious)
UU: Rats of Tobruk
Replaces Marine.
Strength: 24
+50% against machine gun
+50% against artillery
starts with March and Ambush

UB: Sports Stadium

Australian Civ

Building Crash Fix

[BtS Modular] Australia

As always thanks to Wyz_sub10 who originally created this civ for his CivGold mod. I just redid the areas I thought needed to be tweaked. So basically this is a new civ with the exception for the flag. Thanks to Chuginator for his most excellent Rat of Tobruk model. I only adjusted the hat to look closer to the Australian Infantry Slouch Hat. As always all comments are welcome! :goodjob:

EDIT: And Thanks GarretSidzaka for pointing out how to fix the shadow problem on the Stadium. The download has been updated with the new version and is available for download.

EDIT2: Building Crash fix posted. Simply extract to your Warlords mods folder. ( the same folder you have the original Australian civ in and allow it to overwrite the civ. DO NOT DELETE THE ORIGINAL! as it is still needed to play the mod. Good luck!:goodjob:

Now updated in modular format for Beyond the Sword.
To run any of my modular files, you need to go into your BtS config file (My Docs/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Civ4Config.ini IIRC), and change
ModularLoading = 0
to
ModularLoading = 1
then install the file into your Beyond the Sword mods directory. The file is set up to run immediately so you dont need to create any folders. Then start up your game, go to advanced, then load a mod and select your mod. And it should work.

hey mate,

i noticed you have a purple shadow with the stadium. I had this problem too, just make sure to put the shadow .dds in the same folder as the .nif file for the building :goodjob:

Not bad :) I'll make a better button for the guy though, that one's a bit blurry. BTW isn't the marine a little late in the game? I would have replaced the regular infantry seen as it was WW2.

Not bad :) I'll make a better button for the guy though, that one's a bit blurry. BTW isn't the marine a little late in the game? I would have replaced the regular infantry seen as it was WW2.

True, but the Royal Marines served in WW2 and so did the US marine corps. Unfortunately Australia, as far as I know, does not have a marine corps. We certainly do have troops capable of Amphibious landings and performing the duties of Marines, but we don't have a marine corps per se. If I'm incorrect someone please correct me. Thats why I put the Rats where they are, just like I did with my Romanian civ the Vantatori date back to the Crimean war however they have existed in some way shape or form since then. They suit the aspects of the civ better than the marine does.

True, but the Royal Marines served in WW2 and so did the US marine corps. Unfortunately Australia, as far as I know, does not have a marine corps. We certainly do have troops capable of Amphibious landings and performing the duties of Marines, but we don't have a marine corps per se. If I'm incorrect someone please correct me. Thats why I put the Rats where they are, just like I did with my Romanian civ the Vantatori date back to the Crimean war however they have existed in some way shape or form since then. They suit the aspects of the civ better than the marine does.

Then he should look more modern :p

Here's the button I made for him:

:EDIT: moved attached file to the unit thread so it's easier to find. The unit thread is here.

Then he should look more modern :p

Here's the button I made for him:

:EDIT: moved attached file to the unit thread so it's easier to find. The unit thread is here.

LOL true :lol: But then your excellent work could not be in this civ and let me tell you I just love this unit!:goodjob: As for the period it can be made available perhaps changing the tech required to get it could be the order of the day :confused: I personally don't think its suited to just a general infantry role as the Rats did use very "Commando" style tactics in their defense of Tobruk. And the Rats are just a special unit, to see them in every city I own when I get Infantry and upgrade my units defending my city, it just well, wouldn't look right :sad:

That certainly is a nice button too :goodjob: For now I will leave the graphics of the civ alone. When I next do an update for it I will include it. ( I'm toying with the idea of an Australian soundset :crazyeye: ) When and if I do that any and all changes to the UU will take place then.:mischief:

P.S. How'd you celebrate ANZAC day today Chugginator?

P.S. How'd you celebrate ANZAC day today Chugginator?

Haha I stayed home and made that button.. didn't go to any of the parades or anything though.

BTW did you specially release the civ today? I didn't pick up on it before :lol:

Haha I stayed home and made that button.. didn't go to any of the parades or anything though.

BTW did you specially release the civ today? I didn't pick up on it before :lol:

Yup :D It held onto it until today. Its been done for the past 3 days, it kind of seemed fitting that I released it today. ;)

Even though it's not realistic, it's quite fun. Good work!

I have been thinking on this for some time now and it is realistic. I think everyone forgets that you first get tanks when marines become available(At Industrialism). Hell the Germans get the Panzer at that stage too, and the Rats of Tobruk were a ww2 unit lets not forget. What the problem is there is very little focus on the late game by Fraxis (Something to be addressed in BtS) and therefore there are HUGE technology gaps and massive jumps in unit capabilities. So as it stands the units is pretty well placed in the tech tree. Any earlier and the Australians get a massive advantage, any later and they are a huge disadvantage. ( Trust me I tested this out when 5 opponents declared war on me at once and I cheated and put 1 UU in the field. I cleaned them out with that 1 unit and forced peace with them all a short time later.)

Sorry if this seems like an attack on anyone that is not my intention. I'm just pointing out that they are well placed considering the limitations of the current tech tree.;)

Dumb newbe question...
How do I add it to the game?
Farma

To add this civ, or any mod/ civ to the game you need to extract the file to your mods folder in your warlords Directory. the path should look like this:
Spoiler :
c:program Files/Fraxis Games/Sid Miers Civilization 4/Warlords/Mods

Extract it to there, then load your game and go to advanced options. Click on load a mod. And select Australia from the list. And Bob's your uncle you can play as Australia. :D

Good effort. I like it a lot. :goodjob:

BTW, are you planning on adding any other leaders?

As far as your military history goes, you are correct about Australia never having any marines. We never have and probably never will. The Navy would prefer an aircraft carrier first.

Good effort. I like it a lot. :goodjob:

BTW, are you planning on adding any other leaders?

As far as your military history goes, you are correct about Australia never having any marines. We never have and probably never will. The Navy would prefer an aircraft carrier first.

Ahh yes I am planing more leaders. Menzies for sure will be one. The only reason that he isn't in already is that there isn't a good enough leaderhead to fit his features.

You do know we are getting a "micro" aircraft carrier in the next 10 years? They plan on building the hull in Spain, then transporting it here for completion in Adelaide. It will be sured primarily for Helicopters and some light VTOL aircraft if memory serve me correctly.

Yes I know about that. It is a Strategic Projection Ship (designation “Canberra Class” LHD). The Navy is getting excited about it and will probably like to have VTOL capable F-35s to fly off it, but somehow I think that is a pipe dream. The only allocation for this aircraft is for the Air Force. But like everything in government it is subject to change. We might just get a Labor government in a couple of months and then it will be back to having everything “Fitted for, but not with”. That will be the end of the Navy’s big spending ideas (and probably everyone else for that matter).

As far as leaders go I don’t know why anyone hasn’t done Lachlan Macquarie. We probably wouldn’t have the Australia we have today if it wasn’t for him (yes I know he was a Governor of NSW but his actions had a flow on effect to the nation).

Yes I know about that. It is a Strategic Projection Ship (designation “Canberra Class” LHD). The Navy is getting excited about it and will probably like to have VTOL capable F-35s to fly off it, but somehow I think that is a pipe dream. The only allocation for this aircraft is for the Air Force. But like everything in government it is subject to change. We might just get a Labor government in a couple of months and then it will be back to having everything “Fitted for, but not with”. That will be the end of the Navy’s big spending ideas (and probably everyone else for that matter).

As far as leaders go I don’t know why anyone hasn’t done Lachlan Macquarie. We probably wouldn’t have the Australia we have today if it wasn’t for him (yes I know he was a Governor of NSW but his actions had a flow on effect to the nation).

Hmmmm I never even considered him. :sad: I will look more into his history and see if he will make the short list for other leaders. I probably wont add extra leaders for a while yet, as I am quite busy with other projects, CivGold being one of them ;) once they are done, I will return to this to add more leaders.

To be honest I cant see Labor investing the the Departmant of Defence as highly as what the Howard Government has. However I hope it doesnt impact on our purchasing of the new JSF fighter and the rest of our M1A1 Abrams tanks. As our current fighters and Tanks seriously need to be upgraded to be kept up to date with other powers in the region.

Top Bottom