1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Civ - Byzantium

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by Amra, May 12, 2006.

1. Mo_Jo

Mo_Jo Chieftain

Hi Amra,
    Thanks for your reply. Let me respond in kind:

1. The original problem was Huayna in front of the Walls of Theodosius and the thumbnail of Basil was also Huayna.

2. I down loaded your fix and copied all three files into the original directory (renaming the original LH file for prevent it being overwritten) and the result was the thumbnail is now Basil (in all of his glory) and the animation is the helmet, mouth and eyes of Basil against the Walls but no face as such.

FYI, I'm I'm using a Sony Vaio with 64m of Video Memory, 1m of main memory and a Pentium M (?) processor running at 1GHz. Although it has 64m of Video memory, it still downgrades the graphics (probably Sony background applications us to much video memory).

Also, just on the by the by, I do feel that either Irene or Zoe (the niece of Basil rather than the mother of Constantine the Wise) would have been a better choice simply because Theodora still spoke Latin as her first language (i.e. Late Roman or Proto Byzantine) whereas by the 8th centruy AD the transition to the "pure" Greek speaking Byzantine had definately taken place (sorry for rambling on).
    Cheers
    Andy

2. Amra

Amra the Lion

@Mo_Jo

That sounds like you are getting the "Chesire Cat" problem with my supposed fix. From the description of your computer, it sounds like your video card is displaying the "non-shader" version of the LHs.

Basically, when reskinning a LH, there are two graphic files for any given leaderhead and I have only done the one which uses a video card's shader capabilities since that works on my computer and it is considerably quicker than doing everything twice. The only way I can think to fix this is for me to reskin the non-shader versions of the LHs. This is something that is on my to-do list. Check back in a week or two and I will try to post a new version with that done.

Sorry I couldn't be of more immediate assistance.

3. Mo_Jo

Mo_Jo Chieftain

No Problem Amra, in today's world, an acknowledgement is as good as a fix!!!
    Cheers
    Mo_Jo

4. Amra

Amra the Lion

@Mo_Jo

I got ambitious this morning and reskinned the two LHs' non-shader graphic files. See post#1 for version 2.1

This should fix the problem. Let me know if it does. :goodjob:

5. Mo_Jo

Mo_Jo Chieftain

Hi Amra,
    The only remnants of Huayna are the blue and orange feathers around his neck and three or four blue feathers sticking out on each side of his helmet. Other than that, its Basil through and through.

6. Amra

Amra the Lion

Oops! forgot about that. I'll fix it this morning.

[EDIT] Check post#1 for version 2.2, hopefully that fixes it.

7. Mo_Jo

Mo_Jo Chieftain

Thanks Amra, it looks great.

8. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher King

The Mod looks good, I downloaded it and started using it.

I did notice that the Flag is all White, as someone mentioned earlier. Has the reason for this been posted?

9. Amra

Amra the Lion

No, he never mentioned what it was but I have heard elsewhere on this forum that there is a "dreaded White Flag problem" with some flags that are made. I think that it has to do with the alpha channel on the flag graphic.

I will work on a new two color alpha channel version of the flag to see if that fixes the problem and then post a new update when completed.

10. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

That's not true. Both the Egyptian Obelisk and the Spanish Citadel become obsolete.

11. mrkingkong

mrkingkong Young Padawan

Hey, i love the skin on the male leaderhead (iv already forgotten his name! shame on me!). Can i download this LH seperately anywhere, or do i need to DL the whole "mod"?

Thanks,
    mrkingkong

(Ps. i hope to use him as Remus in my Flavour Mod! :) )

12. Amra

Amra the Lion

Sorry, I haven't posted him (BasilII) seperately. Feel free to use him but you'll have to download this mod or my modpack (way bigger download).

13. mrkingkong

mrkingkong Young Padawan

Okay thanks. And excellent work :goodjob:

mrkingkong

14. Sevo

Sevo Leaf on the Wind

Heya Amra--I'm pulling the Byzantines into Sevomod. Just wanted to let you know. I love the leaderheads. Nice work.

15. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

Sorry to bump a several month old topic, but I was having some trouble putting the Basil LH in the European Middle Ages Mod. I added in all of the files and made the changes in Civ4ArtDefines_Leaderhead, but when I load up the game and look in the civilopedia, it just gives me the normal Huayna Capac LH, strangely with the new Theodosian Wall background. Are there other files I need to change in order to make the LH work properly?

16. Drtad

Drtad It Stinks!!!

Someone reported a similar thing a few months back Head Serf. The problem was his video card. Amra made a quick new version that changed one of the files, and it worked for the person who was having the problem, did you download the newest version?

Just tested it, it works fine for me.:confused:

17. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

Well, I used 1.1 for Vanilla Civ. I'm downloading the warlords version now, maybe that will work better.

Edit: Well, it works fine now. Thank you Drtad!

18. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I hope Amra or someone else can help me here.

This is a great mod for the Byzantine Empire. I have never done any modding for Civ 4 before, but I wanted to create another leader for the Byzantine Empire and I used Amra's Byzantine as the basis. I wanted to create Alexios, make him Spiritual and Imperialist, use the Tagmata Units, and perhaps change the special building. This was also going to be for Warlords, so I wanted to replace the special galleys for the special knights that were in the mod for Civ vanilla.

But I am having several problems. I can load it fine and get it to the actual game, but once I start the game the problems begin.

First, the leaderheads do not show up at all, and all of the flags are just plain white.

Second, if I go to WorldBuilder to insert my special unit to see if it works, as soon as I try to insert the unit the game crashes to the desktop. I can see the "button" of it fine, but I cannot get the unit to actually enter the game.

I have been playing around with it for a couple days now, but I haven't been able to get it yet. Can anyone help me? Thanks...

Update:
    Okay, I can now get my unit to work! But my leaderhead and flags still do not work. Anyone?

19. Amra

Amra the Lion

@bonafide11

Have you checked out the tutorial located HERE?

It sounds like you could have problems with any number of things including, and most likely, the XML code. Also, be aware that I have not updated this mod for Warlords patch 2.08 yet (I've been away from the forum for 5 months) so some of the xml code may be outdated in this mod. I am currently working on updating my Warlords modpack to v2.08 and will post that as soon as possible.

Anyway, check out the tutorial, I think it will help. :D

PS: The white flag problem is usually due to the graphic's alpha channel not being set right. I think the tutorial explains that or at least provides a link that does.

20. Dnomal

Dnomal Prince

Hey Amra, i was wonder5ing if you were planning to upgrade your Byzantium civ onto 2.08 warlords?

I know your mod pack is out, but i really want to make a scen with the civ4 europe map, i have tried changing the code in your mod without any luck.

Ty for the great mod.