New Civ suggestions

Are you making this for Warlords or Vanilla? Because if you're making it for Vanilla --- I'm interested. There is an excellent Portugese civ already made in the Custom civ section, so the custom assets wouldn't be a problem. As for replacing a civ... (assuming this is Vanilla) I nominate the Aztecs. Or maybe the Inca, if you prefer. I think it'd be better if they were barbarians. At least then, even if they weren't conquered eventually, they wouldn't expand outwards into North and South America and clog up other civs.

I just think they're the least crucial civs to gameplay and balance.

@LuKo: sorry, I thought the argument was yours, so please forgive me. But in any case, all Europe is already well crowded. As you see in the map posted by Edungeon, we pretend to gain some tiles to the sea, what is equal to create more space. But in central Europe (in your meaning of Central Europe, not my point of view) it's not overcrowded, but any addition of cities will definitively sature the area.

@Edungeon: yes, I'm Spanish, and the land I've been born, Galicia, (the small patch of Spanish land to the north of Portugal) it's very culturally linked to Portugal. We were part of the same kingdom for many years, until they became independent. In fact, Galician and Portuguese lenguage share the same origin, and Galician people doesn't have many problems to understand Portuguese. Here is my opinion about the things you've posted:

Map: it seems OK. I'll give you a more defined opinion when I can see a capture from the WorldBuilder.

Flag: the last one it's OK, too. Or you could make a dual color design of the first flag, something like the attached image.

UB: hmm... I'm thinking now on the Concelho, wich will be a Courthouse which will give an additional -25% to manteinance. Portuguese colonies always have been very autonomous, what allowed them to have a empire that spread all over the world, as long as most of the affairs were done by locals. That will reflect on the game on such reduced mantainance.

UP: it should be something economic, more than naval, but can be tide to the sea, I agree. What about +1 :commerce: on coastal tiles?. It can be entitled "The Power of Fishing Fleets". Portuguese have been always entitled to be master fishermen. Trading their fish allowed them to earn money, used to buy other things, in a growing spiral. Search for new places to fish, encouraged them to go abroad and discover new lands.

UU: the Carraca, with the effect you said (allows to carry settlers). Nau was the Portuguese word for "Galleon". I know it because in Galicia we used a similar word, "Nao" (my grandfather did used it), but today it's not such common, and we preferably use the Spanish word "Galeón".

UHV:
-Be the first to circunnavigate (yes, it's used already, but here we have the civ that historically did it).
-Have three cities in Africa, two in Africa, and one in South East Asia (Macau it's in China, and was founded by Portuguese, and the island of Gao was near India) by 1600.
-Not to lose any city until 1850 (which will mean avoid the historical defeats of the Muslim invasion, the Alcazarquivir disaster in Morocco in 1578, and specially, the invasions of the Napoleonic period, that caused Portugal to move its capital to Rio de Janeiro).

And another aspect, spawn date: it should be about 1100. The reason is that before, Portuguese identity was not clearly formed. In fact, Portugal was divided between the muslims and the Galician kingdom. Only the fall of the latter, and the capture of Lisboa allowed the forming of the Portuguese kingdom. Even on this period, Portuguese did not spoke Portuguese, but the primitive Galician. The creation of the frontier between Galicia and Portugal, A Raia Seca, started the separation of the two nations, political and culturally talking. After that, the rise of Portugal was parallel to the fall of Galicia, that lose its independance forever.

BTW, how will you manage to make it for Vanilla?. I thought there was no way to introdce more than 18 civs... It will be great, if you can, as long as I like more RFC for Vanilla than for Warlords (less and stronger civs, and less bugs are the main reasons).

Attachments

• portugueseflag1667dualcolor.png
    portugueseflag1667dualcolor.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 167
Maybe, but it will fade later, to become nearly to useless. After all, Portuguese founded colonies in places that there was no fish, but almost all were coastal. If we tie the power to fishing boats it will be severely limited, as long a given city will have no more than two fish resources, but it may have up to 17 coastal tiles (if it's a one tile island). That will mean up to a limit of 17 extra :commerce: to a limit of 6 :commerce: and 2 :food: with your alternative.

I think if you have that power, two food recources for each city and one production one for each city then a two city portugal should do quite well, with good commerce reasonable production and good growth :)

I'd really like for someone to Mod a Civ into those Malaysian islands.I think that space is usually devoid of life until 1100s.Anyone interested?

Portugal sounds cool, Spain needs to have some competetion in the New World... I would like Poland, but I agree that Russia and Germany need that area.

I would like the see Austria [Rome just wastes this area] (this has been mentioned already probably, eh?) and Germany renamed to Prussia :) then it would be a matter of playing the game out and you have a Napoleon scenario!

I would also like to see some competition for America in the New World... bring the Sioux back or maybe even a new Inuit civ =o) in fact, I would rather see a cool Inuit civ that lives in the not so great tiles that is Canada, not that they ever had any historical empire

I would like Poland, but I agree that Russia and Germany need that area.

Yeah- in Polish area Germany settle 1 city and Russia 0 :o

I would like the see Austria [Rome just wastes this area] (this has been mentioned already probably, eh?) and Germany renamed to Prussia then it would be a matter of playing the game out and you have a Napoleon scenario!

I prefer Hungary- Austria is better represented by Germany.

I agree that Hungary is more culturally different than Austria is (compared to Germany).

Also I looked at the map and if Portugal have brazil and spain have the aztec and inca terretories, then wouldnt they both be significantly weaker? what other areas did they historically control?

Portugal controled parts of Africa and Malasia. And i never saw a game that Spain did a good colonization in America... (normally just Havana and Montividéo/Buenos Aires), with portugal the America will be more crowned, and that is really the point...

I think if you have that power, two food recources for each city and one production one for each city then a two city portugal should do quite well, with good commerce reasonable production and good growth :)

Well, OK. That's true. After all, we can try, and later we can change it if doesn't go as good as expected. Let's try your fishy banks idea.

kairob said:
I agree that Hungary is more culturally different than Austria is (compared to Germany).

I'm agree too. If we're having a civ in eastern -oh! Central, I meant ;)- Europe, it should be Hungary. Specially in Vanilla, where Greeks dominate the Balkans and Turkey without opposition (only Russia, and only later on).

good point, Hungary would be awesome since the Finno-Ugrics don't have any representation

I forgot to say that I REALLY want 1 more African civ ( Zulu ) since the Inca settle Africa sooner than the European civs in some of my games and it would be fun to make it a challenge to hold those colonies, instead of 0 action there.

I forgot to say that I REALLY want 1 more African civ ( Zulu ) since the Inca settle Africa sooner than the European civs in some of my games and it would be fun to make it a challenge to hold those colonies, instead of 0 action there.

This happened to me, also. I've seen also Indians and Japanese settling around. In one game I saw even a Mongolian city! I thought I was dreaming, but then I bought a map of Mongolia, and saw they had a city on the northern coast of Siberia, so they probably sent a boat all around Asia, to reach Africa. :lol:

Top Bottom