New Civilization: Tunisia or Algeria

The Flame8

Prince
I recomend we bring a new civilization into North Africa. I think it should be Tunisa or Algerian, but those are just ideas. Please post here and get rid of the endless North African Independent Cities!

I disagree, neither were really a civ at all. Either they were Cordobans or Arabs.

Currently Arabs take almost all the way to Tunis and Cordoba does very little in north africa. I think the solution would be to have Cordoba expand a little more (1-2 cities built), then have portugal expand into morocco. At the same time have Genoa expand into Sicily and Tunis and some civ takes Algiers

We can just add some barbarian corsairs lead by Barbarossa Hayreddin, who would take Algier as base and pillage all Mediterranean sea (could be led by AI Turkey too).

I already suggested adding the Hafsids around Tunisia but this was rejected. Maybe for a modmod when RFCE development will be somewhat finished ;)

Reason that those will not be added:

1. Not in Europe
2. They did not have profound effect on the development of Europe.
3. They are already included as a non-playable civ. Later game Cordoba == North Africa Caliphates. (once Spain pushes Cordoba out of Iberia)

My experiences are that neither Cordoba nor Arabia reach that far. They collapse long before that, and don't seem to even want to conquer north Africa. We should at least put some pre-existing independent states there.

In the long run I can imagine putting berbers or hafsids as unplayable minor civs there
We did many big changes recently, first let's have a stable mod

If we added more ind cities in the area and let Cordoba respawn with whole area from Marocco to Tunis as spawn area that would also work.

again, I think that the european civs should have an influence in the area.

Morocco/Tangiers: Portugal
Algiers: Barbary Corsair Pirates (Barbarian)
Tunisia/Sicily: Genoa
Everything else east: Arabia (they often get around to settling most of north africa)

Does anyone settle the south western most part of Africa since it has rare resources?

Does anyone settle the south western most part of Africa since it has rare resources?

no, It's kind of a weird spot, like 4 good spots in the corner of the map. Perhaps if they were on the coast that could work. In my opinion they should be removed especially since portugal never colonizes morocco. Please consider these North African expansions 3miro.

Couple of exceptions don't make the rule, merijn :p In any case, I'm not arguing for them to be included anymore; I'll do it myself when I deem the mod developped enough. ;)

In my last game, Arabia managed to get to Tunis. And the game before that, Cordoba (Respawned in Morroco), managed to get close to Algiers.

Arabia does well but they often collapse.

And Cordoba getting close to Algiers means that they start in Tanja and might eventually get one city (Algiers). Cordoba would need at least 4-5 cities in North africa to have any impact except vassalizing to a greater civ with only 1-2 cities.

Reason that those will not be added:

1. Not in Europe
2. They did not have profound effect on the development of Europe.
3. They are already included as a non-playable civ. Later game Cordoba == North Africa Caliphates. (once Spain pushes Cordoba out of Iberia)

There really should be a North African Civ because, I think the best one would be the almoravids.
1. They were in Europe; the North African berbers conquered sicily and southern Italy in addition to Iberia.
2. The caliphate of Cordoba collapsed in 1000ad, it was the North Africans that defended the Taifas from the Christians and thus allowed islamic spain to flourish for another 500 years. So in that way they had significant impact on europe.
3. Most of the time, the late game Cordobans dont get as far as even Algeirs and they really confined to Northern Morocco.

Even if there isnt going to be North African Civ, u should change the Cordobans into the Almorovids with half their territory in North AFrica and half in Sothern Spain.
So they can spawn with Tunis, Algeirs, Fez and tAnja in africa
And Cordoba, granada, seville in in Spain

The whole of North Africa is empty and usually christian most of the time; even if nothing is added atleat move the spawn(to 800-900ad) of these Independents (Tunis, Algeirs, Tarbulus) and make them muslim. Also if a civ is not added Morocco needs to represented by more Independents (Fez, Rabat)

alright what is the hesitation to doing more stuff with north africa? Yes I know its not europe but it played a huge role in european politics throughout history. Obviously in ancient times Carthage vs Rome, European nations often tried to conquer parts of north africa (France in Tunis for example) and lots of trade was involved with Mediterranean nations. Since the industrial revolution, europeans colonized north africa as well (France in Algeria, England in Egypt)

The least we could do is fill the void of the East of Tanja to Tunis area, which never gets colonized. Why is there so much Sahara if africa isnt important? Im still confused why the map is tilted (not parallel to the lines of latitute and longitude)

i agree with yogie;a chritian North Africa and colonial (medieval) north africa is unhistorical. And if theyre not european its part of the map and they (berbers mainly Almoravids) had a deep impact on europe

Here is the idea I had about the Hafsids. They wouldn't step on Cordoba's toes too much (while the Almoravids would).

Top Bottom