New Expansion Pack Press Release!

Originally posted by rsirangelo
yeah, right, so they think everyone are complete idiots... they'll will release the rest of the game as an expansion pack.

waiting anxiously for a cracked version to come out, I won't give you any more money Firaxis!

:die!:

I also think it should have been one whole game. the only thing i see really good there is the Multiplayer (Without which i wont get ANY version of this 'expansion' pack) and the new civs, i know u can create new civs on your own but come ON! I mean i for one do not KNOW how to change unit graphics or the civ leader so a custom civ for me is the face of alexander with a unit that i only change the name/ atributes. I am seriusly hopping that they put spain as on of the eight i was very dissapointed when Spain wasnt included in the original 16 civs (personally i woulve kicked out the persians for the spanish, but oh well) and i hope they make the spanish leader a guy preferably Fernando Aragon since he DID kick the mooors out of Spain and i hope the dont put a woman as the spanish leader (ISabella) becouse i really hate playing and getting called things like milady, (The very sad reason why i dont play with the british, bu hu, bu hu) about the other stuff yeah their nice, but since i myself am not that good at making mods i guess i cant really get that much out of it, but to download mods of others which allways happen to be awsome.
LONG LIVE LATIN AMERICA!
A latin civ would also be nice but i dont thin theres much chance of THAT, I would love to play with Chile and have a leader like Bernardo O'Higgins or Salvador Ayende. But we all know that they wont consider SA.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I could make another neverending message, but it's very late here and I should go to sleep :D

Still, there is a "spirit" of defences for Firaxis that just drive me mad, and I've to answer it.
One example of this spirit are :

Nice work digging that up. Very nice work. Now read it.

Let's review their claim:

Did Civ III ship with an editor that allows players to "greatly customize" the gameplay experience? One would have to be utterly blind or intellectually dishonest to claim otherwise, considering virtually every statistic and and ranking and rating and chart can be altered.

Can you alter advances? Check. You can alter existing advances, or create all-new charts.

Can you alter civilizations? Check. You can tweak and change in a myriad of ways, or even create new civs from scratch.

Can you alter units? Check. I can make a settler run 10 spaces or a spearman nuke cities. Whatever I want.

Can you alter wonders? Sure can, and every damn aspect of them.

Lastly, is there a robust map editor? Well, that world map came from *somewhere*. So did all those others on the web. Dozens and dozens.

So, ummmm ... why did you think this quote backed up your argument that the game did not ship as promised again?

Another one is :

So tell me how they lied on this? It wasnt the BEST editory, but where's the lies? You CAN alter the advances, civs, units and wonders, and you CAN create some decent maps. It might be misleading, especially if you remember Civ2, but the editor WAS included in civ3 and it DID have these features.

I suppose you know have an idea about the kind of spirit we've here.
Now let's check the box.

I don't recall that it was written on the box that the game would NOT crash every 5 seconds.
I don't recall either that is was written on the box that the game will be written in proper english and understandable.
It was not either written on the box that you needed at least one hand and one eye to play the game.
It was not written on the box that you needed a ear and a neural working connections to your brain to hear the sounds that come from the game via the sound card and the speakers.
In fact, I don't even remember that the box of the game was saying that the CD of the game HAS to be in this very box.

Still, I suppose you all expected to find the CD in the box, and the game not crashing every 5 seconds, being in proper english and so on.
Why ? It was not written in the box ! If it's not written in the box, then it means that you SHOULD NOT expect it !

You expected it because of what I'm calling "common standards". Similarly as you expect any game from the year 2002 to NOT be limited to a 320x240 resolution in 16 colors, but rather AT LEAST in 640x480 in 256 colors (really the very least).
Common standard are things that became so "standard" that you expect them to be true even if it's not written on the box.
When someone promise me an "editor", I'm expecting a WORKING editor. When the previous iterations of the game had a complete editor allowing for civ starting positions, unit position, a cheat mode allowing full scenario capabilities, I'm expecting to get AT LEAST the same level of quality in the new editor. It's a SEQUEL, it has to IMPROVE over the past, just like anyone consider granted that the next Quake will not run in EGA, because the past one was already in SVGA.

That's typical of virtually any game editor for any even remotely complex game. You're playing with the numbers that the entire game relies on ... what else would you expect but strange quirks when you play with the game's core?

I always assumed that an editor is a tool made to modify the program WITHOUT crashing it.
Suppose that I sell you a car, and its engine blows up after 5 km. Then you come complain and I tell you :
"That's typical of virtually any materials which endure 100 turns a second. You're inflicting it a very heavy burden, and it has to propel the entire car... what else would you expect but eventual breakings when you inflict such stress on a poor piece of metal ?".
Same things as "common standard" I talked previously : you EXPECT a program to behave without too much crashes, even if it's not written on the box.

Oh, by the way, it's not written on the box that there is no Anthrax in it. I suppose that then if Firaxis put 100 mg of it in each box it would be fine ? After all, if you read carefully the box it's NOT written on it that it's Anthrax-free. If people aren't smart enough to read the boxes then it's their fault if they got contaminated !

i just registered on this website today because of the comments of desert fox and akka.

thank you!!!

i know i feel the frustration because i too have been a loyal fan of the series.

please keep posting, because it takes some of the sting out, especially since i'm going to buy the xp when it comes out.

Originally posted by shamu
i just registered on this website today because of the comments of desert fox and akka.

thank you!!!

i know i feel the frustration because i too have been a loyal fan of the series.

please keep posting, because it takes some of the sting out, especially since i'm going to buy the xp when it comes out.

Windows XP has been out for almost a year. HOWEVER. it is not worth buying yet. YOu can get 90% of the features of windows XP in a much more stabler Form, if you buy Windows 2000. I have used both, on this Very machine, and there is a reason I stuck with Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 is a much stabler OS then it's sucessor Windows XP, it still supports 16 bit applications, unlike Windows XP, and it doesn't have the horrific Memory Leak Windows XP has.

I personally have had this computewr run for over 30 days withotu rebooting, and I only rebooted to install a security update and Ever Quest.

Windows XP useually runs out of ram after only a few days up-time, due to a horribel memory leak, that is actually biulled as a FEATURE by Microsoft. THis "feature" allows 1/4 of the RAM from any program to stay in memory. For Civ3 this means 20 megs of memory. THis is Insane, because unlike what Microsoft claims, XPO does NOT re-use this memory the next tiem the program is run, instead it simply loads the entire program on top of what it already had, and when you exit, you have even more crap floating in yoru memory.

Civ3 takes abotu 80 megs of RAM to play, so this problem in XP is very noticable. IN windows 2000, only 4 megs of Ram is left in memory from the 80- meg chunk thats 1/20th of the total needed RAM. as you can see this is a MUCH more efficient operating system.

Originally posted by Atreidis_42o

Windows XP has been out for almost a year. HOWEVER. it is not worth buying yet. YOu can get 90% of the features of windows XP in a much more stabler Form, if you buy Windows 2000. I have used both, on this Very machine, and there is a reason I stuck with Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 is a much stabler OS then it's sucessor Windows XP, it still supports 16 bit applications, unlike Windows XP, and it doesn't have the horrific Memory Leak Windows XP has.

I personally have had this computewr run for over 30 days withotu rebooting, and I only rebooted to install a security update and Ever Quest.

Windows XP useually runs out of ram after only a few days up-time, due to a horribel memory leak, that is actually biulled as a FEATURE by Microsoft. THis "feature" allows 1/4 of the RAM from any program to stay in memory. For Civ3 this means 20 megs of memory. THis is Insane, because unlike what Microsoft claims, XPO does NOT re-use this memory the next tiem the program is run, instead it simply loads the entire program on top of what it already had, and when you exit, you have even more crap floating in yoru memory.

Civ3 takes abotu 80 megs of RAM to play, so this problem in XP is very noticable. IN windows 2000, only 4 megs of Ram is left in memory from the 80- meg chunk thats 1/20th of the total needed RAM. as you can see this is a MUCH more efficient operating system.

Oh, Duh, I am ******ed...... XP = Expantion Pack. :p

It sounds like in one swoop they are upgrading the game to the equivalent of MGE! I look forward to a unit gallery so those of us who don't have the skillz to animate can still pick and choose from a wide variety of pieces when making mods. Oh I am so happy! And the fact that I have to wait for fall means that I can get some work done till then....

Robust
Pronunciation: rO-'b&st, 'rO-(")b&st
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin robustus oaken, strong, from robor-, robur oak, strength
Date: 1549
1 a : having or exhibiting strength or vigorous health b : having or showing vigor, strength, or firmness <a robust debate> <a robust faith> c : strongly formed or constructed : STURDY

Shoegaze99 must have had Woody Allen in mind when he was thinking "robust". I was hoping for Arnold Shwartznagger.

No civilization placement tool
No mini map
No scenario editor (ie one or more cities with improvements, troop placement

Etc, etc.

I rest my case. Hopefully the next time I have to shell out my hard earned dollars, they will actually deliver what they promise. I just don't like to be misled, thats all.

Wow this expansion looks great!! but one problem, when is it going to be released? It says in the "fall" but as an aussie and not an american i have no idea when this is. :confused::rolleyes: Can someone please translate this into a month?
Cheers

Originally posted by jedi_brad
Wow this expansion looks great!! but one problem, when is it going to be released? It says in the "fall" but as an aussie and not an american i have no idea when this is. :confused::rolleyes: Can someone please translate this into a month?
Cheers

September or October would be my guess if it really does come out in the fall.

Starting today I'm shelving Civ III until the expansion pack comes out.

That way when it's out it will be like playing a brand new game!!!
:D

P.S. That will never happen, kinda like a new year's resolution.

Originally posted by Akka

I always assumed that an editor is a tool made to modify the program WITHOUT crashing it.
Suppose that I sell you a car, and its engine blows up after 5 km. Then you come complain and I tell you :
"That's typical of virtually any materials which endure 100 turns a second. You're inflicting it a very heavy burden, and it has to propel the entire car... what else would you expect but eventual breakings when you inflict such stress on a poor piece of metal ?".
Same things as "common standard" I talked previously : you EXPECT a program to behave without too much crashes, even if it's not written on the box.

It's more like,

"There's no coffee maker in this car!"
"I adjusted the fuel injection and now the car won't run. What a piece of junk."
"Where's the web interface?"

"They should have told me there was no coffee maker installed when I bought the car. I want my coffee maker now!"

Originally posted by James Deptuch
Robust
Pronunciation: rO-'b&st, 'rO-(")b&st
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin robustus oaken, strong, from robor-, robur oak, strength
Date: 1549
1 a : having or exhibiting strength or vigorous health b : having or showing vigor, strength, or firmness <a robust debate> <a robust faith> c : strongly formed or constructed : STURDY

Shoegaze99 must have had Woody Allen in mind when he was thinking "robust". I was hoping for Arnold Shwartznagger.

No civilization placement tool
No mini map
No scenario editor (ie one or more cities with improvements, troop placement

Etc, etc.

I rest my case. Hopefully the next time I have to shell out my hard earned dollars, they will actually deliver what they promise. I just don't like to be misled, thats all.

Whiter than white
Built like a rock
We try harder
Breakfast of champions
99 and 44/100% Pure
The skin you love to touch
Takes a licking and keeps on ticking
It's morning again in America
It's the real thing
The pause that refreshes

So Woody Allen buys the exercise gym which promises him better abs. He was hoping for Arnold, too, but he's still Woody Allen. Must be something wrong with the equipment. . . .

Do you really believe that if you buy Brand X you'll get the girl?

:crazyeye:

Originally posted by Zachriel

It's more like,

"There's no coffee maker in this car!"
"I adjusted the fuel injection and now the car won't run. What a piece of junk."
"Where's the web interface?"

"They should have told me there was no coffee maker installed when I bought the car. I want my coffee maker now!"

??? :confused: :confused:

Well let's see... An EDITOR is a program that is made to EDIT, AFAIK. I mean, EDIT, no MESS UP WITH. A program is SUPPOSED to work, when you launch Winamp it's SUPPOSED to read mp3 files and send the music to the soundcard, not formatting your hard drive. So a EDITOR (editor => editing => edit, this kind of stuff) is supposed to EDIT the rules, not mess up with (in fact the AC and Civ2 editors worked perfectly and I NEVER had a single glitch with them).
You expect that if a database manager completely mess up your databases the seller will tell you "hey, this program is working on the core of a database, you should know that tinkering with the core of things ends up fucking them, it's normal" ?

At least they're putting airfields back in... one good thing anyway!!!

Originally posted by Akka

??? :confused: :confused:

Well let's see... An EDITOR is a program that is made to EDIT,

You are absolutely right that an editor should edit, but every edit I have tried has worked fine. Have you identified a specific edit, or class of edits, that is causing troubles?

But for an analogy, just because someone provides a programming language, doesn't mean you can't create a program in that language which crashes the system; e.g. divide by zero, or infinite loop. Civ3 is so complex, it would be very difficult to eliminate all source of crashes in the editor.

Originally posted by Atreidis_42o

Hey dude you don't have a clue of what you are talking about. XP Home Edition and XP professional is the BEST operating system Microsoft has ever made. I am an OEM system builder. We build custom system here in Las Vegas for about 5 years now. You are so far off base with the correct information it really bothers me. You shouldn't be talking about something you do not know the correct information about.
Windows 2000 is a good OS but XP has some added things that make it far superior. In fact XP runs games better no matter what you think or say. It handles the RAM better then 2000 ever did. XP will use up all available RAM for the given program. Telling everyone that 2000 is better is a down right lie, or just a lack of knowledge. If you are going to pretend to be a know it all get your facts straight first. :D :p Sorry to be so blunt but this is my business I find it irritating that you spreading such unfounded rumors!

Originally posted by Zachriel

You are absolutely right that an editor should edit, but every edit I have tried has worked fine. Have you identified a specific edit, or class of edits, that is causing troubles?

But for an analogy, just because someone provides a programming language, doesn't mean you can't create a program in that language which crashes the system; e.g. divide by zero, or infinite loop. Civ3 is so complex, it would be very difficult to eliminate all source of crashes in the editor.

That's better.
I don't consider that the editor is responsible of the mistakes made by the modder. To take a practical example, if I'm creating ten more building and do not create the graphics that comes with them, then it's normal something weird happen when I select/build/sell/etc. the building.

Now, what happens is that if I add a new tech, the last icons make the game crash. If I add twenty techs, the twenty last icons make the game crash. It means that I have to find where the glitch come, and then that I have to reallow the tech icons so no tech will have an icon which is in the X last icons that makes crash the editor. THAT is a glitch and a proof that the editor is incomplete and buggy.
Another one (which was fixed) was the crash if you used the 17 last colors for a civ.
Another one is that once you add tech, the small icons will perhaps work well, but the big ones will be randomly distributed (my Monarchy tech has now a big icon that is representing a nuclear plant).

I don't doubt it's a difficult task to remove the crashes in the editor. But it's no harder than to remove the crashes in the game, and it's much easier than to make a correct IA for the game. Though, I suppose you expect the game to not crash every 5 seconds, and you expect at least a floor level for the AI.
Well, me I expect a FUNCTIONNAL editor which I have not to guess the bugs about and which do its work correctly.

Top Bottom