New Fog of War makes the map harder to use

I really, really like it.

It makes the map a living document - you can easily see everything in your field of vision, and everything outside takes on the look of an old map.

I also get that for some with visual issues it may be very difficult to live with. I do not want them to change it, but I think Firaxis could offers to colourize the outside-FOV differently, to help those who can't distinguish when it's monocolor.

Current FoW is terrible. Makes the map very hard to read. Unrevealed parchment is fine, but areas already discovered should not be so heavily obscured.

I am actually surprised at how quickly I have adapted to the parchment look. I had much trouble with it watching Livestreams, but none in person.

I haven't played the game yet but I really like the clouds in Civ 5 and I wish they had found a way to incorporate them in Civ 6. Maybe use the parchment for unexplored territory and explored territory that is far away, and use semi-transparent clouds for explored territory that is close but just outside the visibility range of units/buildings?

Anyway looking forward to trying the game out, but I think I will need to spring for an updated compy first :(.

Honestly, I love the new fog of war. I like it a lot better than civ5's FoW. It gives the map more character and it is easier to see what areas have been explored.

I agree with the OP.

When watching LP's I thought it was really hard to see what had been revealed.

I thought maybe it was easier to deal with when actually playing. But it's a royal pain to need to hover tiles constantly (further annoying by how slow/inconsistent the tooltips are).

I would prefer to just have the map dimmed ala 5 so terrain is more clear.

I like the paper map look to totally unexplored areas - but it's less neato on explored areas and they look so much alike that you have to put too much thought into what you've explored even..

Opinion, maybe, but for me it negatively affects gameplay.

However, this isn't my biggest issue with the UI - the tooltip delay (or them just not firing properly, and no interface option for them) and how the unit cycling (and lack of wait key) would definitely top my list.

I agree with the OP.

When watching LP's I thought it was really hard to see what had been revealed.

I thought maybe it was easier to deal with when actually playing. But it's a royal pain to need to hover tiles constantly (further annoying by how slow/inconsistent the tooltips are).

I would prefer to just have the map dimmed ala 5 so terrain is more clear.

I like the paper map look to totally unexplored areas - but it's less neato on explored areas and they look so much alike that you have to put too much thought into what you've explored even..

Opinion, maybe, but for me it negatively affects gameplay.

However, this isn't my biggest issue with the UI - the tooltip delay (or them just not firing properly, and no interface option for them) and how the unit cycling (and lack of wait key) would definitely top my list.

To change tooltip hovertime go to....Sid Meiers Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\ToolTips\Plot Tool Tip.lua

Edit line 32: local TIME_DEFAULT_PAUSE :number = xx (put value of seconds until popup) I use 0.2

On one hand, I appreciate the concept and on UHD it does look neat to see the 'pencil' lines and shading; it does have the look of an old parchment map. But, that's all I like abou the new FOW.

Even after 8 hours of game play, during which time I've become more accustomed to the new presentation, I still find that it more difficult to distinguish the terrain and maybe even worse, the bland coloring, minimalist presentation, and 2D presentation detracts from the beauty of the land that is fully visible.

Here's this gorgeous world, but it is only visible in small islands, surrounded by bland and minimalist parchment. The current presentation is great if I was playing a board game; great if I was playing in strategic view; but I'm not. I have a great system and I want to see a beautiful world around me; one that I'm immersed in.

It is odd that they want the player to feel closer to the terrain now more than ever, yet we can only immerse ourselves in small patches, whereas the vast majority of the world is presented to us as a bland sketch on a parchment. Very strange decision IMO.

I assume that they will stick to the current presentation. I hope they will give us some more color and detail in future patches and expansions. Something along the lines of the attached.

Attachments

• Relief of Carthage.jpg
    Relief of Carthage.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 391
I think the new map layout looks amazing! It takes some time to get used to it but after couple of plays you stop noticing any oddities.

I'm not saying the map doesn't look amazing from the standpoint of someone who enjoys pencil sketches as an art form. I'm saying I disagree the concept of placing the player in gorgeous bubbles surrounded by minimalist sketches on parchment. It's jarring and detracts from the immersion in the environment that the devs aimed for. Yes, the parchment has amazing sketches giving us an abstract representation of the terrain and its features, but that representation is lifeless and bland in comparison.

Same feelings about the "weird" UI coloring schema (Devs decided to use) & specifically, how contrast between Fog/Revealed areas should really get a dedicated settings option for anyone willing to adjust whatever palette could fix it all in one big HUD swoop.

I suppose some Modding magic will soon take over that issue for us all -- sooner the better, AFAIC.

EDIT...

For the moment, i've checked the Graphics Option and its advanced settings and a slight correction can be achieved simply by turning ON -- 1) High-Quality Shader & 2) Ambient Occlusion.
It's a bit more comfy now but i'd rather have a true "Contrast Gain/Loss" option to fiddle with.

Honestly, it's already there with the ManageCitizens shortcut to the City Map.. as it simply darkens the FOG (at the correct contrasting range, in fact) and adds a sharply lighted palette to show up active terrain details a lot clearly. Again.. gimme control of that transit feature for the entire map and i'll be happy.

Until then.. my eye-balls will continue to suffer in silence -- sadly.

Last edited:
From Civ 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5, I was happy with the new graphics, but not keen on Civ 6s. The units are fine, but specifically the terrain and some of the buildings seem really cartoonish to me, and the fog of war, just too much brown, the parchment look just doesn't help me I'm afraid, no doubt i will get use to it in time, no choice really, not like I will ever give up Civ games

Im alright wirh the fog of war except for one thing. Its really hard to see the difference between an improved tile with and without hills.

Top Bottom