New game buttons disabled

sqwishy

Chieftain
I've just set up Steam under Linux though WINE. I copied over my installation of Civ IV from Windows, installed the game in Steam, verified the install, started it without the mod, updated the mod, started the game with the mod, and the menu options for creating a new game are disabled.

It's quite likely I did something wrong with the setup of the mod?, but I'm curious if anybody recognizes this and can confirm or give me more information.

A screenshot is attached.

Attachments

• 2018-07-21_154944.766.png
    2018-07-21_154944.766.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
I downloaded the installer and reinstalled the mod, started the launcher, updated, and started civ from the launcher. But the issue remains. :(

I forgot to mention, I'm on the "original_release_unsupported - Original Release - UNSUPPORTED" branch in Steam.

I copied over loaded a save game. It certainly loads some AND content, but a bunch of the UI is missing and there are TXT_KEY_ strings everywhere. ._.

I followed the instructions in this thread and unlocked the two scenario options ... but still can't start a new game.

Attachments

• 2018-07-21_165243.075.png
    2018-07-21_165243.075.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 220
Rand needs to go into the mods folder, of BTS, not the MODS folder. They are separate and distinct folders.

I'm not sure I understand. When I installed the mod from scratch, I installed it to the default path, `My Documents/My Games/beyond the sword/MODS`. I've tried renaming the `MODS` directory to `Mods` and `mods`, based on what you said. But that didn't help. Everything in WINE should be case insensitive, right?

I've also tried placing the mod folder underneath `steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods` as it is for me on Windows, but the result is the same. It's never been under `steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Mods` if that's what you mean.

Also, the game runs properly without any mods.

Basically, you've put 'A New Dawn' in the wrong folder.

It goes in 'mods' folder lower case, MODS upper case is in a different directory structure.

Look at the directions in my signature for installing under Ubuntu, and you'll see.

Home/My documents/My games/Beyond the sword/MODS is WONG FOLDER.

Although, the BAT mod will install here confusingly?? 64 bit op system I think is why??
Bull is slightly different also

/home/"User name here"/.wine/drive_c/users/"User name here"/Application Data/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/Mods is correct folder.

Control H to show hidden files (.wine) etc
Note different file structure, confusing I know, but its how it works.

Right, I noticed the link in your signature and meant to look at it but forgot. Based on the screenshot in the post there, it looks like you have Civ IV installed to `Application Data/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4`. For me, I've installed it with steam to `C:/.../steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword`.

In your screenshot, the correct "Mods" directory you're referring to is next to `Civ4BeyondSword.exe`. This is originally where I had the mod -- and where it is on Windows. However, when I reinstalled the mod from scratch, the default install path was under `My Documents` and that's how it got there.

I tried this with the mod directory under `Application Data/...`, but the mod didn't load when Civ IV started through the mod launcher, and2_checker.exe.

I've tried moving the Mod installation directory back under the install, so it resembles your directory structure, but the problem still exists. I've attached a screenshot of the directory structure. You can let me know if I'm out of my mind or not. :)

(It's also possible there's some setup I missed that you've mentioned in the post linked in your signature; I'll go through that again and double check.)

Attachments

• 2018-07-23_213849.196.png
    2018-07-23_213849.196.png
    511.2 KB · Views: 213
Installation directory looks fine.

When you install under wine, it goes in My games/beyond the sword/mods.

Don't worry about c:/.../applications/.... and .wine etc, it will install all that through wine.

Oh, You probably need the CivAltRoot.py file installed in python, its at the bottom of that post. copy the file, delete the .txt at end and add it to both Rise of Mankind folder, and also to the python folder in assets.

That would be what your missing, directory structure is fine. From what I can see on attached screen shot.

In case anybody reads this in the future, I tried the suggestions above but couldn't get it to work. I think the steps were correct, but something else weird was going on with my system.

I was running steam under wine under a fedora container with systemd-nspawn and a btrfs snapshop for the root filesystem and an overlay at ~ on top. I switched to steam under wine in a debian sid container with systemd-nspawn and a normal debian rootfs on my filesystem for the root directory (instead of a btrfs snapshop) keeping the overlay at ~. It seems to work now. I have no idea why it wasn't working before. Moving from a fedora container using a btrfs snapshot to debian sid with a normal install tree solved whatever weird thing was happening. The downside now is I can only play for the two days a year that the stars align and debian packages an up-to-date version of the nvidia drivers that match my fedora host...

Top Bottom