1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New IGN preview

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mrbee, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Drakken

Drakken Warlord

Honestly stopping at the top of my post because you don't agree with something shows how close minded you are. I thought you might be arrogant when you presumed to tell us what we learned from the article but now I know you are.

As for downloadable content. Many companies release there expansions as downloadable content. If you don't think they will be available for direct download then you are kidding yourself.

Sorry for the off topic discussion but I felt compelled to reply. And as was said more dribble not related to gameplay at all.

2. say1988

say1988 Deity

Don't be pedantic. When used in this respect Downloadable Content refers to small amounts of additional content released for a small price. Not full expansions packs. Yes, expansions packs are content and can be downloadable, but in common usage are not "downloadable content". By this theory we can say that Civ5 itself will be downloadable content.

3. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

City states will have their own tech trees. I suppose there's a chance that if you are particularly nice to them that they will give you a tech that you can't research. Also, apparently City States will gift you military units as well. Even ones that require resources. Perhaps you can go over you limit for a unit in that way.
    So, it could very well be worth it to keep them independent. Sounds like an interesting game play choice. :D

4. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

Drakken I didn't mean to come across so rude, but I suppose I did. Sorry, I just have no tolerance for rampant speculation of things that I already know (the closet thing we're gonna have to downloadable content is user mods or official expansions). You bring up many good points, but to me the best thing revealed in these previews is the improvement of the AI. 4 layers of strategy, thats more than some people! Lets hope the days of barb nuking, useless attacks, and mindless roaming for the AI are done. No offense to firaxis, but seriously the AI was pretty stupid even in BTS, I had to play on immortal most the time to have a decent challenge.

5. Lord Ritter

Lord Ritter Chieftain

:deadhorse:I'm about to crap my pants this is so awesome!!!:deadhorse:

6. kivanc

kivanc King

i red your post Drakken but i also understand why Shiggs713 didnt want to continue reading it at first, after seeing 3letters DLC.

DLC has been discussed in other threads and most fans hate this. games like civ saga have idealist and clever core fans, so every marketing type doesn't work within such communities.
    Even if EPs didn't bring new features (real improvements that can't be included by modders) and brought only new civs, it would spread great dislike.

7. TyBoy

TyBoy Prince

I was disappointed to read that culture will still dominate border expansion. It sounds like they've atleast got some plans in the works to fix the whole problem with most culture being generated in the middle of the empire where it is worthless and none at the edge where it is needed.

I really hoped that they would be leveraging the 1 unit per tile thing to add some more options for claiming territory. You can probably count on 1 hand the number of times outside of the last hundred years where the quality of life in the nearest large cities was the determining factor in who got to tax the people in an area.

8. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Culture being strongest at the center and weakest at the frontiers makes perfect sense though. Sounds good to me. :)

9. JanissaryRush

JanissaryRush Warlord

I really hope if you take away culture or space race as a victory option civs won't try to win that way.

I mostly play on lakes, standard size with aggressive civs. In those games no civ ever wins by space race or culture, if a civ were to aim mainly at that they would have no chance to win.

10. kivanc

kivanc King

honestly, i belive they will not fix the culture/border issue in civ5 neither.

they can never fix this unless they include ways for claiming land w/o settling. a very easy solution would be w castles. u should be able to build them far away your cities and they could spread a little culture.

you have to build useless cities to block AI in some games and it is rubbish. claiming territory should be possible. they could also just fix city maintenance issue. it is very very high in deity.