New L.o.t.R scenario: 'The Return of the King'

FF, I have the save games at home. I'll try to remember to send it to you tonight.

to surround Barad dur I just conquerd Minas Morgul, then marched up and through the gates of Mordor, which were completely unguarded :eek: There were plenty of enemies to the South of Minus Morgul, including lots of trolls, but they were never able to break back through my lines. When my daughter played (on Chieftain level) she actually conquered Barad dur, and most of the map (well after the scenario ended).

Originally posted by Yop73
FF, what will your next scen be about?

Well, I was working on yet another Middle-earth scenario (no, it's not the prequel to 'Moria':) ). With regard to gameplay it's something a little different to the two previous outings.
But, I'm disinclined to continue with it. The Civ2 engine just doesn't seem to be robust enough for what I'd like to achieve.
I might just post up the map and leave it at that.
...but then again... if I can get it to work it might end up being my best one yet.

Hmmm a prequel to Moria...interesting :rolleyes:

Since it is not before Moria and you have coverered everything else in ROTK. Is it 'The Hobbit' per chance. I can see your problems as much of that was either up mountains or underground. Difficult.....

FF: it wouldn't happen to be The Similrillion? :D i could see how a flying boat could cause problems and a venomous giant spider charging at two trees :cool: ;)

FF I accidentally saved over the save I had just before Sam/Frodo/Gollum cross into Mordor. The only other save I have is very shortly after the Fellowship is split, so is quite a long ways from that point. I'm not sure it would do you any good. I do have a save quite some time after that, with troops already in Mordor and Aragorn still holed up in that first fortress. If you think it would be helpful I could send it to you, but I don't have a zip (only unzip) so it would be full size.

Originally posted by anarchywrksbest
BTW If you head far south are you supposed to be able cross the mountains into South Mordor by going along that river?
Well, I guess you can cross the mountains there (and higher up too BTW). The original purpose for those 'passes' was for troops generated by Nurn to take part in the battle for Pelargir and Minas Tirith. I didn't intend for the player to use them the other way around. This wasn't an oversight on my part -- just a part of engineering gameplay. At the start of the game the sprite count has pretty much topped out. Having Nurn being able to churn out more troops as you destroy those already engaged in battle worked well.

Originally posted by anarchywrksbest
Hmmm a prequel to Moria...interesting :rolleyes:

Since it is not before Moria and you have coverered everything else in ROTK. Is it 'The Hobbit' per chance. I can see your problems as much of that was either up mountains or underground. Difficult.....
Ah, good old Bilbo Baggins. I had thought about doing the Hobbit some time ago (prior to Moria in fact) but I shelved the project.
...so, no, it's not the Hobbit.

Originally posted by The ANZAC
FF: it wouldn't happen to be The Similrillion? :D i could see how a flying boat could cause problems and a venomous giant spider charging at two trees :cool: ;)
Ah, good old Feanor.
Have you played Dagor Bragollach by Brian Reynolds? That was one of the Civ2 games that got me into creating scenarios. I'm afraid all I could do is imitate it, so I'd be put off trying.
Nope, it's not the Silmarillion.

Originally posted by Leowind
FF I accidentally saved over the save I had just before Sam/Frodo/Gollum cross into Mordor. The only other save I have is very shortly after the Fellowship is split, so is quite a long ways from that point. I'm not sure it would do you any good. I do have a save quite some time after that, with troops already in Mordor and Aragorn still holed up in that first fortress. If you think it would be helpful I could send it to you, but I don't have a zip (only unzip) so it would be full size.
Ooops! You should have made more saves (especially if things were shaky) :p
How big is the file just after the Fellowship split? It can't be that big... in fact, how about posting me both of them?

Originally posted by FavouredFlight

Ah, good old Feanor.
Have you played Dagor Bragollach by Brian Reynolds? That was one of the Civ2 games that got me into creating scenarios. I'm afraid all I could do is imitate it, so I'd be put off trying.

Yeah I DLed it but never got around to playing it; maybe I will now! :D

Hmm... *thinking what is FF's scenario project* :)

Originally posted by Mercator
Númenor perhaps? Colonise Middle-earth, trade with the locals, cut down forests, fall for Sauron, try to attack Valinor and die (or something).

Yeah! That's a good one! :cool:
...but it isn't the scenario I've been working on. I'm not going to give it away until about a week before it's finished (if ever!)

I recall seeing a Civ2 Númenor map somewhere. Maybe someone should have a go at that scenario. I'd play it! :)

Ah, good old Feanor.

I think the scenario "Fall of Beleriand" is much better. You play as noldor and have to do things with heroes to get help from Aman to defeat Morgoroth. You can download it @ http://www.geocities.com/jolciv/
btw the events.txt doesn't seem to work properly but I managed to fix it myself ;)

Yeah! That's a good one! :cool:
...but it isn't the scenario I've been working on. I'm not going to give it away until about a week before it's finished (if ever!)

:aargh3: ;)

I recall seeing a Civ2 Númenor map somewhere. Maybe someone should have a go at that scenario. I'd play it! :)

That would be mine. :cool:

But unfortunately I don't have the time... And if I did, "The Hobbit" would be higher on my list.

If anyone thinks of doing a "The Hobbit" scenario go to this page:

http://lotrmaps.middle-earth.us/index2.html

If you go intot he map selection and choose "Atlas of Middle Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstadt" you can find a chapter of maps from the story ;)

I just thought I'd drop in and commend your work FF. It's really amazing that way you capture the mood of the Lord of the Rings so perfectly. It looks extremely professional, and I guess your previous profession explains that.
I really don't like role play scenarios, and never really played much of your work, but each time I see it, it strikes me how good it is.
So I say five thumbs up for your graphics FF!

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Never been done better!

Sorry to interrupt your discussion... :D

uhm about Frodo and Sam dissapearing when they reach Cirith Ungol. They reapperas in the square 102,128 after some turns. Guess this has to do with the "time events" ;)

Hey i'm going to move this over to Scenario Creation lol don't know why i didn't move it earlier

Top Bottom