New Let's Plays

So you must have researched the Petroleum revealing tech before I got there, which means I must have missed quite a lot by the time I showed up. Looks like I need to go look up your Youtube, MadDjinn, and see what else I missed from the early turns.

The first 10 min didn't make it, but everything from the landing on down did.

Glad I watched the first ten minutes immediately after the stream ended, then, before it went into the nether. :)

GunnerGoz - Yep, the petrol tech was the first one researched.

Yeah, I finally saw that. It's good to know that I'm picking up enough of the game already to be able to play it right off the bat, albeit not real well...yet. :D

Yeah, I finally saw that. It's good to know that I'm picking up enough of the game already to be able to play it right off the bat, albeit not real well...yet. :D

That's how I felt with Civ V, Gods and Kings, Brave New World and Xcom.

I watched so many previews and streams and such I felt like I had all the basics to start the game when it dropped near midnight.

Oddly enough, other than BE and XCom, I have not spent much time watching pre-release stuff before, at least with respect to Civ V and its expansions. Perhaps because I'm retired now and more able to spend time finding and absorbing all this material. :)

Well, its a 2nd Ring wonder in the Genetic Tech Branch, so it should be reachable by the early mid-game. By then you should have several viable colonies going and may appreciate the food boost, depending upon what biome, terrain and map you are on. It's there if you want to go for it.

I'm reluctant to call anything OP until I get a better feel for what's going on overall with BE. It's like complaining that the fuel pump in your car looks awful big for your little econocar, and not realizing that it filters fuel extra clean so you can run more efficiently.

I think of competent game design as an engine system and the tweaks and shims are there to keep everything running in sync. Good QA will tell them what needs to be tweaked and shimmed. The proof is in the output over time. If it ends up stalling because it needs more fuel filtering...well, you get the idea.

On maddjinn stream he reaches it around T70. That's early. And it really doesn't look like a "there if you want it" but on the scale of Petra in good desert.

I get your point, but I don't have your confidence in getting a balanced game.

On maddjinn stream he reaches it around T70. That's early. And it really doesn't look like a "there if you want it" but on the scale of Petra in good desert.

I get your point, but I don't have your confidence in getting a balanced game.

there are a number of wonders in range that do different things.

The farm one gives +1 food, but you can also get +1f+1e+1p+1s from tech for farms.

That's how I felt with Civ V, Gods and Kings, Brave New World and Xcom.

I watched so many previews and streams and such I felt like I had all the basics to start the game when it dropped near midnight.

See, I'd rather not know everything and be slightly surprised, make mistakes, etc. Obviously I'm on here from time to time (shh, don't tell the boss!) but I'm trying to avoid the playthroughs, etc. for now.

there are a number of wonders in range that do different things.

The farm one gives +1 food, but you can also get +1f+1e+1p+1s from tech for farms.

Yeah but while you're here would you really chose one of the other wonder ?.

Also the other bonus for farms don't really matter since you can have both, I don't really see the opportunity cost here.

Maybe that's just my Civ5 bias speaking but none of what has been shown among the wonders costing 300hammer would equate +1f for farms +3f +3h.

Also the other bonus for farms don't really matter since you can have both, I don't really see the opportunity cost here.

Maybe that's just my Civ5 bias speaking but none of what has been shown among the wonders costing 300hammer would equate +1f for farms +3f +3h.

Opportunity cost? Like the lack of having a military and losing 2 cities to your closest neighbor?

+1 sight for all military units?

Admittedly the other 2 (4 food+10% growth and 3 science+4orbital range look a bit weak)

+1 sight hasn't been very useful in Civ5.

By the way what difficulty is Madjinn playing ? I hope it's not Appollo or that the AI is just weak in that build. He's been top score since the beginning and while score isn't a good measure for humans its usually a good one for AI.

you can, or you can choose not to get the wonder. Or you can get the wonder and choose not to pursue the other farm bonuses.

Many choices, and 'getting everything' is not one of them.

Top Bottom