1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Let's Plays

Discussion in 'CivBE - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Karl0413, Sep 26, 2014.

1. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

Perhaps this proves that Adept Blue is not OP. Certainly, in some rare instances, you can get very lucky and AB can give you that expensive affinity leaf tech that you wanted but you can also be unlucky and get a tech that you were already going to get soon anyway.

2. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case. :lol: :goodjob:

3. Yama951

Yama951 Chieftain

4. ggmoyang

ggmoyang King

It was one unlucky incident by playing poorly, Aeson already proved normally its return is way too high.
    However, MadDjinn's LP gave me a hope, AI are bloodthirsty and kills stations often. Maybe AI will destory adept blue before someone getting too many techs from it...

5. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

6. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

@GoodSarmatian: I have not seen this one yet, but BE's Co Lead Designer David McDonough was the Voice of Firaxis in the previous videos in this series. He's rock solid authoritative about BE as they get.

7. jaldaen

jaldaen Prince

Yes, you can trust the Friendly alien info since the Firaxis guys who are teaching them to play are the designers of the game. ;)

Looks like a good harmony play might be to place a city three hexes from a nest, then buy tiles to that nest so it's in their territory, but not close enough to feel threatened.

These Bootcamp vids have had a few great little tips/reveals.

8. GoodSarmatian

Oh, OK. Well, now I know how make the aliens my friends. It will probably be easiest with Kavitha.

9. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

For those who haven't watched the Yogscast stream, David McDonough said the alien attitude can go up as well as down; if you're nice to them for long enough (by leaving nests intact inside your territory), the aggression icons will turn blue and the aliens become "friendly."

That's definitely something that hasn't been said before.

10. Acken

Acken Deity

What exactly do they do at friendly ? besides being annoying by blocking movements.

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

All he said was that they won't attack you.

David: "Any player can operate friendly to the aliens. The way you do it is: if you avoid killing them, and you allow their nests to exist inside your territory -- pretty much you create a sanctuary or haven, wherein their nests are safe, and you don't let people come in and kill them -- then their opinion of you will improve, and eventually it will improve to the point where they're friendly. You can tell how the aliens feel about you by the color of their units flags... if they go orange or red, they're hostile or very hostile. Right now they're sort of pale green, which is neutral, and if they go blue, they're friendly. "
    Duncan: "How do you make them go blue, then? Do you have to be into Harmony?"
    David: "No, you gotta have the nests active inside your territory for long enough. The opinion will just gradually kind of arrive there. And when they're blue, they will not attack you period, you can move around them... they'll just sort of exist among you, you live in symbiosis."
    Duncan: "So if I put a city next to the nest, they'd probably be hostile at first, but then they'd be more friendly, if I don't attack them?"
    David: "Yeah, it's kind of like making friends with a grumpy cat. You're going to get scratched a few times, but eventually, everything's going to be cool."

12. GoodSarmatian

Block and ocassionally attack invading civs ?

13. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

Well, keeping some nests in strategic positions could be quite handy to have a force that covers your flanks (or your rear). I wonder: Will friendly aliens spawn nests inside your territory if you leave miasma'ed Xenomass unimproved?

14. Yama951

Yama951 Chieftain

Someone should look at the tool tips that were popped up when the Yogscast was picking which tech direction to go.

The Promethean is wonder with a +1 culture, +4 Health, and 1 free virtue.

Alien Domestication unlocks Xeno Cavalry, I think.

I forgot the rest though.

15. omniclast

omniclast Prince

This seems to contradict the idea that aliens have global attitudes. I thought if you made them angry, they would be angry at everyone? Does that also mean that if you make them friendly, they will be friendly to everyone? Or am I misinformed about the "global" aspect of alien attitudes?

16. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I did, nothing new there.

The alien attitude rating can't be global, otherwise the Harmony ability "Alien aggression level returns to neutral twice as quickly" would have no use. But even though each player has his own rating, attacking the aliens could still raise everyone's aggression rating.

17. omniclast

omniclast Prince

Ok, that makes sense. Hopefully though, once you are friendly, others' aggression won't affect your rating.

Or maybe it will, and you'll have to go kill those horrible wildlife abusers to protect your pets.

18. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

It might be that some actions have global impact (e.g. killing an alien or a nest makes all aliens get some aggression), but I suspect that these aggression points will "cool down" over time again. Harmony might get a bigger bonus to that decay, so the actions of other players would have less influence on a Harmony CIV. Also the local factors are probably much more important (e.g. unit proximity to a nest).

19. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I would think there would have to be significant limitations on how local aggression affects everyone else; otherwise, maintaining good relations with the aliens would be next to impossible.

20. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

I would think that if you tried to achieve a friendly status with the aliens while your human neighbor was killing them off, it would take a lot longer to get that blue color to show in the aliens in your territory.

What I find interesting is that this newly revealed "friendly alien" state may imply that the aliens are more likely to interfere with hostile attempts to enter your territory, since they associate your territory with their nesting grounds. We just don't know if that is the case, though.