1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

New Modding Basics

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by vans163, Oct 23, 2016.

1. onlysky1

onlysky1 Chieftain

Hello, Guys!

I want to ask you a question:

How to add another leader to a already existing civ?

I try to add another two leaders for China for the YnAMP Greatest earth map (to make the map more interesting to play).

Do you guys know how to do that?

2. Nastypants

Nastypants Chieftain

Has anyone figured out how to replace or even view the textures in the game? I managed to find the directory under Base/Platforms/Windows/BLPs.

It seems there are BLP files, and another directory, BLPs/SHARED_DATA, with files without any extension. The BLPs seem general and the files with no extension for specific units etc.

I remembered WoW used BLP files but none of the converters or plugins for editing them seem to work with these blps.

I'm trying to make a mod for having the map's Fog of War change with the era (google maps in information, cave drawings ancient etc.) but no one else seems to have looked into this aspect of Civ 6 yet.

3. ww2commander

ww2commander Chieftain

A few bits on graphics that may help people figure things out further:
    • There is a component type <ModArt> that can be used in the modinfo files. I gather this will be the entry point for art files. There are no current examples of its use in any file I have found and the only time a reference can up in grep search was within EXE game file (maybe C++ gurus might be able to help with their searches).
    • Fonticons are stored in a <FontIcons> table which does not seem to be in any accessible DBs from what I can tell. The method however is still the same in that you reference the 'start' x,y position and give it the icon size (in this case 22 pixels)

4. Nastypants

Nastypants Chieftain

Thanks for the direction. In case anyone is also looking around at texture modding I also managed to find another directory that may be important. Under Base/ArtDefs there are files that contain RGB values and paths to textures. I'm going to try and play around with ModArt and these artdef files to see if I can't start replacing textures.

5. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

6. Dirzi

Dirzi Chieftain

Has somebody managed to add with xml-code more than one CS in game?
    I was faced with a strange phenomenon - I've make a mod for 13 CS, but in the game there is always only one - the first in the list...

7. ichbinsehselber

ichbinsehselber Chieftain

8. Dirzi

Dirzi Chieftain

9. pippolo

pippolo Chieftain

Hi everybody,

I really enjoy Gedemon and TZ works....
    I wanted to play with world/europe map but my pc is not so good.
    So I think I need a small map, like 90x60 or similar, and I think I've to do myself.
    I'm improving in cartography, but I need some help to make it a mod to play....

So...
    I was wondering if it's possibile to create a blank map with WorldBuilder .... WITH WRAP X (to create a europe map).
    So that I can start worldbuilder, create the map from zero and put civilization and city state on start position, and then play with TZ mod tool.
    I see many problem when you add or change civilization and city state in worldbuilder (it crashes) differently than the original and randomly choosen by system when it creates the map....any idea/suggestions?

Thank you very much.

10. gwillewyn

gwillewyn Chieftain

I hope I'm not butting in here...
    What I really want is the starting options from Civ V: No spying, and adjusting the number of City States on a map.
    I tried to do a quick and dirty fix for spying by making a XML-mod and raising the price for building one by 10000%, but I couldn't even get that to work. It'd be a stupid way of doing it anyway, but it was the best I could think of.

11. Ice-T

Ice-T Chieftain

Can anyone tell me why in the Lua scripts the variables are declared with type declarations?
    For example: (line 17 of ReportScreen.lua):
    local m_debugFullHeight :boolean = true;
    I am just learning Lua and everywhere I search for how to declare a variable tells me you don't declare the type. I have loaded the scripts into the Eclipse Lua Development Tools and the syntax checker does not like any of these type declarations, it flags all these lines as errors. Can anyone please explain?

12. Nordic

Nordic Chieftain

Winterupdate-Citystates
    Does someone know where to find the newly added (Winter-Update/Poland-DLC) CityState-File?
    There is no entry about them in the regular files in Mainfolder (....Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data).
    I also wasnt able to find any entry about those new CityStates in the Poland DLC folder.

Thats somehow spooky, because they appear in newly set up Matches...but how?

13. Magil

Magil Monarch

I believe the new city states are actually part of the new Viking scenario. Does that have a separate folder (not at my computer currently)?

14. Nordic

Nordic Chieftain

In the Vikings-Scenario Folder there is also no entry about those new CityStates.
    You can find there a lot of Scenario-specific civilizations but not these new Citystates for "normal" Matches.

15. GabrielFM07

GabrielFM07 Chieftain

Hey there guys, I've been trying to create a mod that turns some bonus resources into luxury resources, but I'm having trouble adding a row of those features to the file by mod (because I dont know how to add stuff in the files without having to replace them)
    Here is the problem:

</TypeTags>
    <Resources>
    <!-- Bonus -->
    <Row ResourceType="RESOURCE_BANANAS" Name="LOC_RESOURCE_BANANAS_NAME" ResourceClassType="RESOURCECLASS_BONUS" Frequency="4"/>
    <!-- Luxury-->
    <Row ResourceType="RESOURCE_CITRUS" Name="LOC_RESOURCE_CITRUS_NAME" ResourceClassType="RESOURCECLASS_LUXURY" Happiness="4" Frequency="2"/>

This is what is written in the file Im trying to manipulate with mod (I removed some lines and left only the first ones in the comment to not take up too much space) I just dont know how to remove rows and add rows using the XML mod file. ;-; Anyone here know how to help me to change a resource from Bonus to Luxury?
    PS: This is an idea of what might be written in the final version of the mod.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <GameInfo>
    <Resources>
    <Update>
    <Where ResourceType="RESOURCE_CATTLE" />
    <Set Happiness="4" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where ResourceType="RESOURCE_COPPER" />
    <Set Happiness="4" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where ResourceType="RESOURCE_CRABS" />
    <Set Happiness="4" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where ResourceType="RESOURCE_DEER" />
    <Set Happiness="4" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where ResourceType="RESOURCE_CATTLE" />
    <Set ResourceClassType="RESOURCECLASS_LUXURY" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where ResourceType="RESOURCE_COPPER" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where ResourceType="RESOURCE_CRABS" />
    </Update>
    <Update>
    <Where ResourceType="RESOURCE_DEER" />
    <Update>
    </Resources>
    </GameInfo>

PS²: Thats my first time modding, please be reasonable with me

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  16. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Chieftain

Your last <Update> needs a "/" as in </Update>

17. GabrielFM07

GabrielFM07 Chieftain

Oh, thanks

18. Destin

Destin Chieftain

I also would like to know how to create a new leader for a civ, rather than an entire new civ.

19. planetfall

planetfall Chieftain

gedit reads and syntax highlights lua and xml file types. I haven't checked for sql, but imagine it will

20. fugmulch

fugmulch Chieftain

Does anyone know how to change the rate of inflation for production costs?