New pitboss

may I still join

Sure you can. Just tell us with simple words what experience you have with civ and give your word you are determined and dedicated to play the game in good faith. Just me being curious how much previous experience you may have with pitboss.

I have made a post in the official 2K forums about the removal of Direct IP from Steam versions of the game. Here it is:

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?563191-Steam-multiplayer-update-and-Civilization-IV-Pitboss

To everyone who plays in Direct IP games: Please take a minute to register an account, and make a short post in the thread linked above.

I suggest to write in your short message:

- Your username and which civ fansite(s) you hail from.
- Which version of the game you purchased (CD or Steam).
- Mention how this issue affects all players, because even CD users can't continue Direct IP games with Steam users. The removal of Direct IP from Steam divides an already small multiplayer community down the middle.
- End with a strong request that Direct IP be re-integrated into the Steam version of Civ4.

Feel free to use your own words. Be firm, but civil - profanity won't help the cause.

For example, in my case:

I am Lord Parkin from Civfanatics and Realms Beyond. I purchased the CD version of Civ4. I am deeply disappointed with the removal of Direct IP from Steam versions, because all of my friends with the Steam version can no longer play in our Pitboss games together. This issue has needlessly divided our community. Please re-integrate Direct IP into the Steam version of the Civ4.

Please register an account and post your own quick message in the thread linked above now. It only takes a minute, and it could make a real difference! :)

I just had this issue although you can move back and forward between the two versions. Make a copy of the old system files from a previous save state of your system and you can put both in your steamapps folder under different file names. Then just rename the new or old patch to the correct filename to be picked up by steam, can switch back and forth between each version in a couple of mins.

Hi there,

I would be interested if there is no diplo and a map checked by a non player.

I have a sub of course and i'm used to play pitbosses (pit2013, pppb2, PB66, PB67, Pit2014, ISDG).

Everyone is a reliable player and will have a sub?
Diplo activated or not?

What? How could you possibly not have diplomacy?

What? How could you possibly not have diplomacy?

A lot of pitbosses are played without diplo (since it has too much impact in the game).

That's why there are two different kinds of pitboss : diplo game and non diplo game.

I can be a part of this pitboss for a serious non diplo game but if diplo is activated it's ok of course :)

Yes, some games are played in always war mode, some are played normal, but without conducting diplomacy but still being able to propose and accept in-game deals without saying anything in the text screen. Some are played with diplomacy enabled. Every way of playing civ have their plus and minuses.

I think this one will be with diplomacy enabled. Most of people do like the dealing with thinking human. Also I think there will be some disparity between players skills and thus leaving another way of leveraging the difference in skill and experience. i.e. people conspire to bring down someone who is obviously in the winning position or known godly player.

I might as well play with bots if we have no diplomacy, who in their right mind would consider such a ludicrous premise? Even in Always War games you can have non-official cease fires with a rival to dogpile a greater threat.

A lot of pitbosses are played without diplo (since it has too much impact in the game).

Based on that line of thinking we might as well play without founding cities or training units, as those things have too much impact on the game as well.

I might as well play with bots if we have no diplomacy, who in their right mind would consider such a ludicrous premise? Even in Always War games you can have non-official cease fires with a rival to dogpile a greater threat.

Based on that line of thinking we might as well play without founding cities or training units, as those things have too much impact on the game as well.

Sarcasm is not an argument. We all agree that tech trade is not an option to play a reliable pitboss. Based on the same logic, diplo and random map (without verification) can be banned too it is a very common thing to do.

I understand that you don't play that way but insulting other points of view won't help anyone.

Sarcasm is not an argument. We all agree that tech trade is not an option to play a reliable pitboss. Based on the same logic, diplo and random map (without verification) can be banned too it is a very common thing to do.

I understand that you don't play that way but insulting other points of view won't help anyone.

I wasn't being sarcastic. As a matter of fact I disagree with your second statement.

I didn't intentionally insult any point of view.

Calm down guys :)

Every one have the right to play the game the way he sees it is fitting him best. That's why there are different communities. I've been enthusiastic to argue about what is "good" and "bad" and logical in a game supposed to be about intellect and logic which is Civ and I've been in the position of being considered a fool only because I dont agree with someone else's beliefs. This is close to ideology and doctrines. Doctrines are not a good thing. On the other hand, playing great game with and against great guys is great, so lets have a game. There is a voting still going on, then if some settings of the chosen ones are incompatible with someone beliefs, he have the right to skip playing in. Or if they are just new/non-common to him, he might try to adapt and learn a new way to enjoy the game :)

Believe me, I've been playing with all kinds of settings tens and tens of games. And if I know something for sure, it is that the players who actually play the game as it is and try their best to get the most of the game and be innovative and adaptive and cunning - those guys are the ones who win most of the games. It takes a lot to win.

I agree with you 2metraninja.

I won 2 pitbosses (diplo games) and i'm playing 3 others right now (one diplo 2 non diplo) and of course every way to play is interesting and have its weaknesses too.

For example, diplo usually makes the game too hard for a tech leader (alliances against him and maybe the next leaders one by one ^^) and non diplo games makes a more "selfish" game where everyone tries to rank the highest possible.

I spent maybe too much time writing messages and it is just a too big effort fir me to make right now (being very activy is too important during a game to afford a lack of diplo moves because if you don't make a step forward you are just backing down until you see an alliance eating your territory...).

I wish you guys to enjoy your pitboss game i'll be happy to share with you one day maybe another way to play the game :)

I've played games at 7 different civ sites and each site have it's own traditions and local house rules and ways to play the game. I feel as enriched from the opportunity to be able to see and try all those ways of playing my favorite game, plus meeting all kind of people along. I dont think there is "correct" or "best" or "righteous" way of playing it whatsoever. :)

Sad to see you skip this game Arabplayer. BTW are there any new games being organized soon at Uciv? (I think you are from Uciv community, right?) I would be glad to have 8 sites where I played Civ :)

edit: Oh, forgot few other sites I've been part of, so more than 7 for sure :) And each of those others had different rules. So yeah thumbs up for the diversity. I can tell whoever is interested about the traditions and rules different sites play for your amusement and entertainment :)

@2metraninja : I appreciate players like you who love the game the way you love it (with respect, a thirst to play with other interesting gentlemen and to learn regardless of your own level).

In Uciv, we are currently playing the Pit2014 (diplo game where i am playing) + the Pit Highland (no diplo) where i help a player if he's not here (i keep my neutral position where i can read every pitboss story with screens of the game :) ).

We won't play another pitboss this year i think (we are used to play one or two pitbosses each year with readers/subs who can help if any player can't continue to play).

I also play with civforum.de too (German website where i'm currently playing the PB66 and PB67), they use to ban diplo games and they check the map or even make it from the beginning in order to be interesting and "well balanced" between players.

If i see a new pitboss open i'll send you an email you will be of course welcome to play with us.
Please do the same for me :)

Sorry but i can't afford to play another diplo game since it demands too much efforts just for not being penalized by a lack of presence but thank you for your invite anyway.

Hum if you want to laugh a little bit i made a video of my second victory in Uciv you'll recognize the epic song from Metal Gear if you know the series :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4yEtfnDkk4

Please do not make too much fun of me because of it ^^

Once again i wish you all good luck for your pitboss game see you civfanatics ! :)

What's the update position now.?

Waiting for Steam based players to get steam to sort out IP multiplayer issue or simply just keeping door open for newcomers.

OK, lets move this.

We need few things:

1. Counting the votes and decide on settings
2. Generating list for snake pick
3. Get someone who dont play to generate the map and check it so there are no screwed- up starting locations
4. Get the save to the host and run this thing

I will count the votes today at the office and will ask a third party to generate the random list with the players.

I think civtilidy might have dropped out... He hasn't played in any of the pbem games he is in since the steam update.

No? Too sad. Well, I will PM him, we have couple of days before the map anyway. I am putting him in the list for now.

1. Imp. Knoedel
2. civtilidy
3. 2metraninja
4. Filon
5. dick76
6. HBHR
7. Elkad
8. Hercules90
9. classical_hero

That's 9, which is absolutely OK.

We might get 2-3 more participants in the last moment btw. I'll PM few people.

Next is the vote count.

Top Bottom