New Random Maps?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by cakes, Mar 26, 2013.

1. cakes

cakes Prince

this hasn't really been touched on but i'm assuming we're getting new random maps

what would you like? what do you think we will get?

i would like a map of the italian peninsula but that may be too similar to the japan map. surely we will get a map of africa though or at least a randomised version of one like the europe map from GnK

2. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I did make this map of the Italian peninsula, but I wouldn't mind seeing an official one.

Africa is an absolute given, assuming it didn't appear in one of those DLC map packs (in which case it'll still appear, it just won't be "new.").

3. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

We really need more random maps.

I'm not sure if they will add any, however. Did they add any in Gods and Kings?

4. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

Why is the African map a given Louis? The new Africa scenario is going to be like the New World and the Polynesian one, where its a randomly generated map every time.

5. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Many of the scenarios have a historical map and a randomly generated map.

6. wiggaGOTnoHEART

wiggaGOTnoHEART Chieftain

They did add some more maps in Gods and Kings. Forget which ones, I think wasn't a lot of them. How would they add more? Continent plus plus plus minus one Island? :p

I can guess they will not add more civs than the limit of 22. Sucks really, if you think about it. You can't play all of the Civs, including the new ones on one single map!

7. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

Hemispheres for instance. My favorite map mode from CivIV was added. This is the best form of Continents map to play indeed. :D

8. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

I thought they'd said the map of Africa for the scenario was going to be a different interior every time, making me think it was the map of Africa, with resources (and maybe starting locations) changing each time.

If they did that, it would be fantastic for other scenarios if we had the ability to make maps that stayed the same shape, but randomised certain features of it.

9. dashwinner

dashwinner Prince

When did we get a Japan map?

I'd love some new maps though. Perfectworld anyone? :D

Personally, I'd like to see something with 3-4 continent sized islands, along with 3-4 smaller 1-civ islands, with a couple of mini 3-4 hex islands sowed in between. You know, something like planet earth...

Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but it seems to me like its always either continents, large islands, or small islands...

10. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

I'd love the fixed start locations to fit better with the amount of Civs you choose. If you for instance now play a small map with 5 instead og 6 civs, instead of starting spread out the civs will start on 5 of 6 starting spots, leaving a huge gap for maybe just one of the civs to exploit.

In Civ4 this worked differently, and you could for instance make a 5 player map with arround the normal land per civ by going small map with high sea. In Civ5 this doesent help, and leaves a huge gap where civ number 6 was supposed to be.

The Civ4 map generation system of start spots would especially be usefull in multiplayer, if you for instance manage to get 5 players, but not 6. As it is now you almost have to play 4, 6, 8 or 10 players etc, and use 4 for tiny, 6 for small and 8 for standard map size etc. to have a balanced map.

Hope this was easy to understand.... found it abit hard to explain. :D

11. VenGyr

VenGyr Chieftain

I'd like small continents plus (so city-states don't start on the same continents as civs).

Also something that would make 3-5 medium continents and a few small ones big enough for starting on. Also a "plus" version.

12. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

Great idea for a map mode indeed. Would work best as an Hemispheres option perhaps. That's continents with many small islands. perfect for those City States.

13. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I'd like a few improvements to map generation:
    • Better placement of ressources (strategics: placement per civ area; luxuries: make them cluster more so that expansion is valuable; especially important for Terra Map Script: Make some luxuries unique to the New World)
    • More Coastal tiles in some places (2 tiles instead of 1) to allow for better ancient and early medieval era maneuvering of ships to a) be able to fight more easily and b) allow to go around unfriendly civs on exploration.*
    • More variation of island types in the Plus maps.
    • Semi-Random scripts like the European one from G&K are fun, I can see more of those :) Definately think there will be a Africa Map coming from the scenario.
    *on that note: make barbarian camps cities with zero cultural radius so that they are also able to be taken out by ships, bonus if you can do that as well with goody huts.

14. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

There's Europe for Gods, its only inevitable there'll be Africa for Brave...

More variations for Frontiers or Terra map scripts would be welcomed as well. They need more focus for colonizing games, which means more landmasses instead of 2 or 2 plus 1 tiny "island"

15. Ellye

Ellye Warlord

The Explorers Map Pack DLC and the new maps from Gods and Kings were all excellent additions, so I'm really hopeful we'll get to see new maps too.

And more maps similar to Europe would be great, indeed. Really like that one.

16. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

I'd like something akin to the Continents Plus map script, but without filling every island with a citystate and not putting any on the continents.

I'd just like to see more landmasses and more diverse placement in my maps.

17. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I thought they said you had the option of playing on a real map or a random map. Maybe I'm mistaken.

18. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

"The interior of Africa is randomly generated each game." That is what is written in the known information sticky. It may not be up to date completely, and I haven't followed the information for the scenario to closely, so you may be right.

I'm excited about this scenario either way though, as the only scenario's that I have enjoyed from Civ V (vanilla and Bts) has been the New World and Polynesian ones...both randomly generated maps.

19. codepoet

codepoet Commander of Cubicle 42

I would like a random densely populated island map. Where the majority of the tiles are land, not water. A gridwork of islands.