New Road Types - Possible?

CheddarCheese

Chieftain
Hi all,

First off, sorry if this has been asked before. I've done a search and it returned nothing of value.

Anyways, I've been tinkering with different XML files, and came across CIV5Routes.xml, which contained values for roads and railroads. I was wondering if it were possible to implement new road types into the game.

The game will allow me to write up new road types as a mod, but it has nothing (that I have found) that'll allow new road types to be built in-game. I can't build or unlock the new road at any point in the game.

So, possibility? Or dream? Lua, maybe (I haven't looked into Lua that much yet)?

You also need to create a Build (Units\Civ5Builds.xml), and give that Build to the Worker or another unit (in Units\Civ5Units.xml, Unit_Builds table). Then you should be able to build that new type of road in the game, although I haven't checked if it works.

Also, there might be problems with creating new graphics for your roads, so probably you'll have to use the same graphics as for existing roads or railroads.

Also, there might be problems with creating new graphics for your roads, so probably you'll have to use the same graphics as for existing roads or railroads.

Change his "might be" to a "will be", and you've got your answer. You can create new Routes, Improvements, etc. in this game, and create the Build actions that place them, but at present we have no way to add or alter any graphics other than units or UI screens. So whatever you create would have to look exactly like a road or a railroad.

There are a few other minor issues. Let's say, for instance, that you want to add a third level of route, something stronger than a railroad. Let's call it a "magtube". You'll run into the following problems:
1> The industrial boost for railroads is hard-coded into the <Industrial> flag in the Routes table, so you couldn't make your magtubes give even more production (although you CAN make the actual improved hex provide extra yields, to make them more desirable).
2> What happens if the route between a city and your capital is part railroads and part magtubes? (Last I checked, it drops the industrial bonus because you no longer have a railroad linkage, even if the new route type has that flag as well.)

At the moment, it's just kind of a pain to deal with. So in my alpha centauri mod, I just replaced the unlocking of a new route type with another Machinery-like movement cost reduction, except this time it applied to railroads.

I suppose I can work with the current issues, although I think I'll probably revert to simply upgrading the railroads, since I can't change their graphics. The movement cost reduction sounds like a good idea.

Thanks a bunch for the replies, they are much appreciated.

Top Bottom