New Space Map(Playable! Just Fully Completed!)

What should be added?

• More big planets!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More small planets!

• More aliens

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • All of the above

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Nothing, there is enough!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Again, why are the problematic ones then the defaults?

The real problem is that I am the one adding terrains and I use Questdog's set. Which means that I did not add terrains that did not work with that set and there were many. I can not test them with the default set because I can't use the default set.

Is anyone able to play this map? I can´t though I have a pretty high end computer (i7-5820K (6 cores), 16 GB RAM, NVidia 970 graphics (4GB memory), Win 10 pro).

When I start a game with this map the civ 4 window is simply closed shortly before initialization is finished. I can play a normal C2C game without issue. CPU and memory usage is very low. I play in window mode with a 1920x1440 resolution (on a 2560x1440 monitor).

Does anyone have an idea what I could change in my setup to play this map?

For me, some Lunar and Martian terrains cause ctds. Maybe that's your problem as well if they are used on this map (they probably are). I think you have to swtich to alternative terrains?

The Questdog terrains work with this map.
No joy here. Even with Questdog Terrains I get a CTD the moment the game wants to start (And Sparth´s alternative terrain I can´t use at all, see my comment there). All of this with current SVN.

Edit: I also got Sparth´s terrain running now, but it also CTDs on my machine with the space map...

This map works now even on my machine with standard map settings after the recent SVN changes, thanks Toffer90!

I have begun a new game with this map but why doesn´t it start with Prehistoric? The 1st (and only) thing I can research is Sedentary Lifestyle and it takes about 200 turns (on Snail and Monarch difficulty).

I set the starting point in the Ancient Era, as I didnt want it to take to long to make it to the Space Age, and wanted to instead have players start out able to really have civilizations. But you spend around 100 turns before u get to sedentary, so you still have a while in the Pre-Historic age anyway. Im thinking of maybe moving the start up to classical or medieval instead.

It is a huge map and C2C is a huge game - I would love to have the full experience and start from the beginning.
But anyway, I really appreciate that this map is there and I probably will need a few months to finish the game as it is...

Thanks for providing this!

I set the starting point in the Ancient Era, as I didnt want it to take to long to make it to the Space Age, and wanted to instead have players start out able to really have civilizations. But you spend around 100 turns before u get to sedentary, so you still have a while in the Pre-Historic age anyway. Im thinking of maybe moving the start up to classical or medieval instead.

Work on Advanced Start has not been done. It will have strange stuff starting past Prehistoric but it may be playable. I believe some success has been had with Modern starts by players.

You should be warned that this map does not use the mechanisms for getting into space that we are likely to use.

I have played a lot with this map, conquered all of Earth and finally reached the Transhuman Age. Here a few comments:

- The distributiuon of resources is really very good
- Marble is missing (everything else seems to be there)
- The map is really huge, way too big to get to space travel in any reasonable play time. I have about 180 widely spread citys that only cover earth.
- Earth and space are divided by a strip of ice running from north to south pole. This isn´t a very good solution as the Barbarians settle there and you always have issues with Barbarians ships attacking. This didn´t change though when I turned this strip to ocean in world builder, so I don´t know what would be a good solution. Only if you densely populate this strip with units then the barbarian ships disappear (I am not really sure where they came from, space??).
- When I was attacked by balloons coming from space I noticed something was wrong: Balloons and helicopters can easily enter space and discover all the solar system.
- Barbarians settle on moon and mars tiles. Is this as intended? But even worse, there is one Barbarian city in the Asteroid belt and even one in open space!
- There are wild animals on Mars! IIRC then there were none on Moon.
- Roads can be built on Asteroids and in Open space, at least under some special conditions (I can see them being built by Barbarians).

- Earth and space are divided by a strip of ice running from north to south pole. This isn´t a very good solution as the Barbarians settle there and you always have issues with Barbarians ships attacking. This didn´t change though when I turned this strip to ocean in world builder, so I don´t know what would be a good solution. Only if you densely populate this strip with units then the barbarian ships disappear (I am not really sure where they came from, space??).
- When I was attacked by balloons coming from space I noticed something was wrong: Balloons and helicopters can easily enter space and discover all the solar system.

Try replacing it with the terrain Orbit as that is the one defined as impassible.

- There are wild animals on Mars! IIRC then there were none on Moon.

It needs its own spawn file.

- Barbarians settle on moon and mars tiles. Is this as intended? But even worse, there is one Barbarian city in the Asteroid belt and even one in open space!

Not sure if we can do anything about this.

- Roads can be built on Asteroids and in Open space, at least under some special conditions (I can see them being built by Barbarians).

As yet there are no terrain restrictions on routes. Nor are there on Builds so we can't do anything about this yet.

We do need this for the new sea terrains and sea tunnels. How we implement it will need to be discussed a bit.

lol... yeah that would be a problem for these map efforts. The tag usage on heli's would keep any assigned terrain from being truly impassable. That's a whole 'nother issue! Could only be resolved in the dll and is not a simple fix. Would take some strong consideration as to how to do it as 'simply' as possible.

I'm sure all have noted the difficulty working with movement rules can be. ;)

I suspect that it is the "Usable Mountains" component that is to blame. In normal BtS there is only one impassible terrain so instead of catering for the possibility of many impassible terrains it just makes all passable.

Top Bottom