new to editing with civ 3, and have a question regarding resource custom rules

crysonfell

Chieftain
Ok, so I have a few questions about changing the rules for natural resources. Under the rules, "strategic and luxury resources, where you can edit the appearance ratio and disappearance probability.

After reading the help file for editing that part with custom rules, I have a few questions still.
The help file says this for appearance ratio...
"determines how many instances of the selected resource appear per player in the game.
In an 8 player game, a value of 160 would mean two of each resource per player."

my questions are.
1. Is it still required to put the resource on the map when designing the map?
Or, as long as you design your map with terrain that the resource would appear, it will appear ingame, according to the appearance ratio?

2. Also, if Im designing a map to be played by just me against computers, is it guranteed that it will randomly appear somewhere where I can see, or where I started the game? Or does it just appear randomly on the map regardless of who's playing.

crysonfell... If you are making a Scenario where you want resources to always be where you want them and do not want them to disappear, set the Appearance and Disappearance both to 0 and manually place the Resources where you want them on terrain you set for them to appear on in the Editor. That said, If you set a Resource to appear when you obtain a tech, the Resource will not be seen on the Map until you research and obtain the Tech. If a Resource is set for a Tech that only a specific CIV can obtain, then Only the Civ that can research and obtain the tech will see the Resource on the Map.
Making a Scenario can provide you more control of where Resources are placed.

Otherwise, I believe the resources will appear randomly on terrain you set for them to appear on.

"determines how many instances of the selected resource appear per player in the game.
In an 8 player game, a value of 160 would mean two of each resource per player."
I'm pretty sure that I remembering reading a thread here on CFC — can't find it again right now, of course! — that (strategic) resources became ~25% scarcer (IIRC) in C3C than they had been in Vanilla/PtW. I think this was determined to be due either to the additional C3C bonus-resources, or because that part of the terrain-generation routine had been recoded in the conquests.exe, but whatever it was, the pre-existing (Vanilla/PtW) entries in the Editor helpfile weren't updated accordingly.

So although that line about 'appearance ratio 160 = 2 sources per Civ for an 8-Civ game' was/is valid for Vanilla/PtW, using the same AR=160 in C3C might result in only 12 sources...
Otherwise, I believe the resources will appear randomly on terrain you set for them to appear on.
Really? That's good to know. I had kind of assumed/feared that with a preset map, if you didn't add any resources (either by hand or using the Editor), then you'd end up playing a resource-free game, whether you wanted to or not*.

I do know that with @LKendter's World-map, which uses the standard resource-set from the epic game (and each resource has the C3C-standard ARs and DRs, AFAIK), to get a new (randomised) resource-distribution for each new game, you have to '(Re)distribute resources' using the Editor, and then re-save the .biq. But since the .biq contains 31 playable civs, I would assume that, if you then set half the opponents to 'None' at the "Choose Civ + difficulty" screen, you would find yourself playing on a map where resource-availability was effectively doubled.

Spoiler Re. The "No-Resources" .bic(?) included in "Civ-Content" :
Has anyone ever played this one? I never felt any inclination, because the description suggested that it simply removed the resources, but didn't note whether resource-requirements were also removed from all units and buildings (which they would need to be, otherwise half the builds/UUs would also become unusable). I think it was for randomly-generated maps, but I've never opened it in the Editor to see what settings were used to force a no-resource game, either: though I assume the 'simplest' method would just be to deselect all terrains for each resource...

Last edited:
tj282...Interesting Factors we have here with many things concerning the CIV Game.
Some things seem to work like "You, We Think have it correct, then we discover it is wrong. All due to the "Hard Coded" Programing we cannot know.
It has required many years to discover some of the Facts we can work with, despite the Hard Coded and unknown programing. That said, we have progressed and much is now known.
Oh to be younger... perhaps not really a matter of age but finding the Facts is difficult indeed :)

Ok, so I have a few questions about changing the rules for natural resources. Under the rules, "strategic and luxury resources, where you can edit the appearance ratio and disappearance probability.

After reading the help file for editing that part with custom rules, I have a few questions still.

my questions are.
1. Is it still required to put the resource on the map when designing the map?
Or, as long as you design your map with terrain that the resource would appear, it will appear ingame, according to the appearance ratio?

2. Also, if Im designing a map to be played by just me against computers, is it guranteed that it will randomly appear somewhere where I can see, or where I started the game? Or does it just appear randomly on the map regardless of who's playing.

You want this if you want to control the randomness:

Distribution of resources in C3C is TOTALLY different (details) | CivFanatics Forums

BINGO! That's the thread I was looking for!

They won't appear randomly on a fixed custom map, but there is an option to "Redistribute Natural Resources" which does the same and takes into account the appearance ratio.

Top Bottom