New to Orbis: Generic comments

Schmoe

Warlord
I just started playing this modmod a week or so ago and thought I'd provide some comments. Overall, I like the mod quite a bit. At first blush, the new additions seem to add some interesting strategic and tactical decisions.

I like the increased yields from tile improvements, as they give flexibility in developing your economy and make it possible to develop a real economic powerhouse. I'm going to have to get used to the new civics, but they look like more interesting choices than some of those available in FFH. I definitely like the stronger navy, as it makes naval commitment more important. The AI also seems to be stronger. I normally dominate my games pretty easily on Monarch, but the AI in this game was pushing me hard until the midgame. I think the biggest AI weakness is in how it uses its military units - it does just fine with tech and economic development. Also, the AI has been pretty good about mounting naval invasions (two decent-sized invasions so far).

The tech tree seems a little odd. Most of the techs late in the tree cost a relatively small amount. I have a large number of choices for research, all of which take 3-4 turns, and like one or two that take 6+ turns. I'm not sure if it's good or bad... it's certainly interesting, as the AI's have taken pretty divergent paths from mine, so even though I have a decent tech lead, there are a number of techs that AIs have that I do not. It definitely increases the power of tech trading.

In addition, does anyone think that maybe there are too many resources, both in variety and frequency (I chose the "Play Now" option, btw)? Seriously, zooming the map all the way out almost makes it look like one giant aggregate resource, with no map space visible, and there is a bewildering variety of resources (olives? amber?).

Finally, does anyone know of a good way to get rid of the tundra and blizzards from The Draw? ;)

Bewildering variety? Try playing RoM. Then you will se bewildering variety. (And extreme slowdown)

No insult intended, just wanted to point it out.

Top Bottom