New to the game, a bit overwhelmed

Barbarian galleys will not carry units to attack you, but they will attack any naval vessel of yours on sight. They operate strictly as naval combat ships, and not also as naval transports.

Doug is refering that Barbarians will (can and will) make 'uprising' - 5-9 units of barbarian horseman just exit from their camp and target nearest things. This only happens if one or more (not sure of number) civilizations enter into new age (medieval for an example)and Barbarian camp is near player.

Only 5-9 on Warlord???? Does this vary by level? I've seen a lot more from Monarch to Demi-God.

Barb uprisings happen whenever the second tribe reaches a new age. Every barb camp on the map gets a number of horsemen which varies by barb setting - 8 per camp on roaming, 16 on restless, and 24 each on raging.

Barb uprisings happen whenever the second tribe reaches a new age. Every barb camp on the map gets a number of horsemen which varies by barb setting - 8 per camp on roaming, 16 on restless, and 24 each on raging.

Hmm, that is quite interesting, Chamnix, especially the numbers based on setting. Since on some of my mods, I am using the barbarian unit settings as Swordsman/Cossack/Privateer, if I wish to cause more problems for the AI from them, I need to get one of the AI up an age as soon as I can. I am thinking about going to Berserker/Cossack/Frigate, just to see if that inconveniences the AI a bit more. Berserkers being Viking pirates, Cossack being land raiders, and the Frigate being a bit more capable of doing damage, similar to the Pirate ship in TETurkhan's Test of Time mod.

Going back to JamesT assistance, barbarians located along the coast will build galleys to attack you, and it would appear from Chamnix's figures that you could encounter a larger number than just one. The most that I have ever run into is three, but since it was what I call a stream attack, i.e. several galleys in succession, I lost my galley with a swordsman and settler on it. Quite irritating that was.

One more note on barbs: Barbs will attack anything, as far as I can tell. As an example, AI civs will pretty much leave healthy armies alone (at least, they will in Conquests) until Flight. In a recent game that I was playing, though, barb warriors and horsemen repeatedly attacked healthy sword and spear armies.

One more note on barbs: Barbs will attack anything, as far as I can tell. As an example, AI civs will pretty much leave healthy armies alone (at least, they will in Conquests) until Flight. In a recent game that I was playing, though, barb warriors and horsemen repeatedly attacked healthy sword and spear armies.

I have run into that too. Now, one of my favorite tactics is as soon as I get a leader, build a small army that I can move by ship if needed, and go barbarian hunting. The Victorious army gets me the Heroic Epic and the Military Academy. That, of course, gets me more leaders and armies. Nice pyramid effect there.

Oh yeah, one more tip, don't but workers on "automate" mode, it slows down your progress, manually manage workers, that allows to do alot of more job. Ai would just run from one side of empire to other, instead of doing what is important (roading, building mines in certain areas)

I have run into that too. Now, one of my favorite tactics is as soon as I get a leader, build a small army that I can move by ship if needed, and go barbarian hunting. The Victorious army gets me the Heroic Epic and the Military Academy. That, of course, gets me more leaders and armies. Nice pyramid effect there.
I hadn't actually thought about going barb hunting with the army, because I'm usually busy dealing with pesky neighbors at that point. I didn't know if "victorious against barbs" counted, but I guess it does. I'll keep that in mind.

Actually, it works pretty nicely, just need to kill one barbarian warrior, and you are in business. Since I am on archipelago or continent, I normally have barbarians to beat on first, and not run into the AI until later. Here is a link to the thread where I have posted my style of play, which explains why I run into the AI later rather than sooner.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=280743&page=2
Post of July 1. One reason that I got turned off to the game initially was having to put up with pesky neighbors before I really wished to.

JamesT, I normally play on a pretty modified game, but it may help you by showing the manner in which you can manage the game. Always keep track of what your workers are doing, and make sure that the AI is not skipping them when they are unoccupied. I have had that happen a fair number of times. Same goes for units. Try to keep a mental picture of what should be happening and check that it does. Periodically, take the time to survey the board, review how things are going verses how you would like them to go, and make any necessary adjustments. Micromanaging is a pain, but you have to do it.

I had read at least most of that post, and I can see why you run into barbs earlier than AI. I guess it should have registered that an army victorious against barbs would allow the HE & MA. The funny thing is that I hunt barbs for promotions on a regular basis, but it never occurred to me to use them to get my first victorious army.

Top Bottom