NEW UNIT: African Warrior (In Progress)

Grey Fox

Master of Points
Here is some sneak previews on a unit I'm working on. The African Warrior. It's not supposed to be a new UU or special unit. It's only supposed to replace the graphics of the Warrior for the Zulu.

In the near future though, might I use this unit in a mod where I change all units of the Civilizations to look different. And perhaps a version where they even have different stats.

Here is some still pictures of the defualt animation:

And here is one direction of the Attack animation (some details missing, and it still needs some tweaks):

Attachments

• africanwarrioranimation.gif
    africanwarrioranimation.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 3,514
Originally posted by nonnob3
Keep up the great work (This could be a good Zulu unit):)
That's the Idea!
It's suppose to replace the Warrior for the Zulu.

Looks good but this forum is supposed to be for completed units. :p

With pre industrial units I usualy only bother using units that help distinguish the five world cultures (middle east, asian, american, clasical etc..) from each other. There is not much room for extra UUs or additional units to fill technological gaps, cos before the industrial era, all the stat combinations are prety much used up.

Thats why I love the idea for this unit so much! It looks stupid playing as the zulus or egyptians and having blackskined UUs and then building pale skinned spearmen and warriors! Good luck to you with this animation. Its a wonder that when firaxis designed the game they didnt reserve part of the palette for "skin" colour, along side "Civ" colour, that way all the world cultures could have their own skin colour (pale, dark, red, yellow, black). Perhaps it is something they will have in CIV IV. I hate the way holywood, and before that western history has insisted that the Egyptians are white. They are not! I guess western history couldn't cope with the fact that civilization was invented by people with black skin. :egypt:

Here here smoking mirror!

I'm sorry but I just don't believe the egyptians were black...they may have been tan but if you look at features on the pictures taken of statues or mummies you can see caucasoid features along with blond, red, or brown hair. Personally I don't know many black people with blond, red, or brown hair.

Also, Cleopatra was of Macedonian descent and was a descendant of Ptolemy.:egypt:

Egytians were a mix of races, including semetic and black. Egypt was like America is today. People from many different cultures lived in and traveled through Egypt.

There are plenty of black people with different color hair, eyes, and shades of skin. My nephew is mixed and he looks white.

Just wanted to know if you are still working on this unit? It looks great:goodjob: And yes WhiteKnight\Atum, but There Is only one black unit for the Zulu, And the War Charioteer isn’t that black, I think there should be more. Again Great job Grey Fox!

doesn't the Impi replace the warrior really early on? It's a good unit, and it'd be nice to see other black-skinned ancient units

No they replace spearmen, they are fast Spearmen. The perfect combination with Horsemen.

And I havn't progressed much on this unit...

Originally posted by Grey Fox
And I haven’t progressed much on this unit...
Are you going to keep working on it? If not perhaps you can post what you have all ready completed? That said, I really hope you complete this unit. I heard someone was making a mod with two uu's for each civ. This would be a much needed one for the Zulu, Making the ancient era uu's is all that more promising for them. Or it could be used for what it was intended to be used for, to add more variety to the game. It looks to good to be abandon.:goodjob:

Anyone in Contact with Lab Monkey? Could you let him know of my idea of creating a Modern Units thread to keep all the modern units together and by modern I would say from WWI to the present but I will not include Ancient or Futuristic Units without thinking about them. This could be the continued role of the unit library. What do you think? I have a poll on my thread about new units asking the issue. I want to know what the gamers reckon.

Upon looking at the zip, the Default is pretty much done, and the attack is 12.5% done. The rest are not started. As he said:

If anyone wants to take over my work please do so. Otherwise, this unit won't be finished

It would be a great task to complete this as there is no 3D model, he seemed to be doing it at the pixel level. :(

GIDustin

Originally posted by Grey Fox
No they replace spearmen, they are fast Spearmen. The perfect combination with Horsemen.

It seems strange that a Mil/Exp civ (with psychotic tendencies)
should get a defensive UU. It seems even stranger that the Impi should be regarded as a defensive unit...

Personally I would prefer them as a 4/1/2 Swordsman replacement, but I'm worried about "balance". I may have to try it...

If this is the wrong forum the why hasnt zulu shown up?

because zulu was just a newbie himself when this thread was started ;)

Top Bottom