New Unit: Japanese Imperial Marines

Originally posted by Pablostuka
I suggest to replace the default Civ3 Marine with this great Imperial Marine for Japan, with the same stats, but a movement of 2 instead of 1 (or maybe threat all squares as roads, with a movement of 1), and be used as an attack infantry.
Same I've done with nonnob3's Waffen SS, but without the amphibious unit tag:).

Y not giving both defensive and offensive tags ?? Did that with Waffen SS :goodjob:

Maybe all we unit creators can do all civ-specific units, to replace default units;)...Red Army infantry to replace the default infantry for Russia (as example), A6M2 Zeros replacing Japanese fighters...etc. In this forum we have a lot of interesting civ-specific units to do this work, but we need more!!:rolleyes: .But...I don't know the game limit for units jejeje:p

Its developing, I think !!! :p I can already see those British Redcoats and US Cavalery (by the way- the Bandit looks almost like that)

Originally posted by Pablostuka
I suggest to replace the default Civ3 Marine with this great Imperial Marine for Japan, with the same stats, but a movement of 2 instead of 1 (or maybe threat all squares as roads, with a movement of 1), and be used as an attack infantry.
Same I've done with nonnob3's Waffen SS, but without the amphibious unit tag:).
Maybe all we unit creators can do all civ-specific units, to replace default units;)...Red Army infantry to replace the default infantry for Russia (as example), A6M2 Zeros replacing Japanese fighters...etc. In this forum we have a lot of interesting civ-specific units to do this work, but we need more!!:rolleyes: .But...I don't know the game limit for units jejeje:p

I believe they were also called Imperial Guards......

The use of the term "Imperial Marine" is not quite correct. The term was used by US and UK forces to describe the Infantry troops used by the Imperial Japanese Navy. The IJN called its troops Naval Infantry, in the same manner as does Russia. Other than that minor detail, this is truly excellent unit.:goodjob:

well, if anyone has a problem with the name of the unit, its not that hard to change it.

Nice unit! This is one of the best infantry I've seen.

I don't think this unit needs civ specific colors because its only for the japanese. I think it looks more authentic without part of him becoming pink or red or something.

I hope a unit-making genius like you comes up with a russian infantry as mentioned above.

:D

Could you make a version of this unit with civ specific colors? It would be helpful for those of use who might want to use it as more of a flavor unit rather than a civ specific unit.

thanks

me tooo!!!!
I want this unit as a general unit for all civs

I think the reason he dies is cuz he's showing his friends the trick he does when he flips the rifle over his head and catches it. But he stabs him self in the back by mistake!

yeah, will the colors be on the shirt, or what? sweet unit tho

I really like this unit! When I used it in a scenario, however, I discovered that the .ini file was not quite up to date. The original sound file in civ3 for Infantry death (I think) had an additional space at the end. This was fixed in PTW by adding a new override entry for Infantry, but since you link directly to the original, your (correct) version of the name does not work! :)

I like the sound he makes when he shoots:D

I think I took the sound from Shogun Total War and flipped it around a bit :D

Here's a link to an excellent Civilpedia source for this unit:
http://www.geocities.com/dutcheastindies/SNLF.html

Excerpt:
The Japanese Special Naval Landing Forces were not a part of the Japanese Army. Nonetheless, these naval infantry units, despite their relatively small numbers in comparison to Army ground forces, comprised a significant augmentation of the Japanese combat capabilities on dry land. The transition in the Japanese Navy from simply designating certain ships to provide shore parties composed of regular sailors, to creating a force of full-time naval infantry, occurred after the First World War. The Japanese "Special Naval Landing Forces," as the Japanese Navy marine infantry units were officially known (also known in Japanese as Rikusentai* ) saw their first action in the "Shanghai Incident" of 1932. At first they were rather large and unwieldy formations, about 2,000 men each (hence sometimes described as "brigades"). Most of the Special Naval Landing Forces that fought in World War II proper were however created in 1940-1941, or even later, and these were more streamlined units, generally ranging anywhere from about 750 to a little over 1,500 men in strength.

Oh and can someone attach a parachute to this unit per:

The SNLF Paratroopers

Of the above, probably the most unique were the 1st and 3rd Yokosuka SNLF's, which comprised the Japanese Navy's own parachute infantry force. Apparently not all the men in each of these three outfits were provided with jump training, as a force of 750 in each SNLF were organized as combat paratroopers, the remainder as an administrative and logistic base force. The Navy paratroopers were only organized on the very eve of the war, beginning in September 1941. Their first training drop occurred only on November 16th. Note, too, how all of the SNLF's bore the name of a major Japanese naval base for administrative purposes, although in practice they were attached to the various fleet headquarters, and administered directly from there. This is perhaps another reason that the Japanese SNLF's have not been considered in the same class with the US Marine Corps, because there was no higher organization controlling all the SNLF's. The Japanese did on occasion create what they called a Combined Special Naval Landing Force, which was usually two of the conventional SNLF's lumped together under the command of a Rear-Admiral. Some of the above SNLF's remained in the China theatre or in various base areas for much or all of the war (for instance, the Shanghai SNLF, which operated from that port-- the 4th Yokosuka and 8th Sasebo SNLF's were attached to 3rd China Contingent Fleet and based on the island of Hainan, off China's southern coast, a piece of real estate intially seized by Japanese naval infantry during the war with China). However, the Special Naval Landing Forces played an important part in the initial Japanese offensive operations, particularly in the Philippines and Dutch East Indies. Furthermore, their role was usually to spearhead amphibious landings, and secure the beaches so that the larger Army contingents to follow could be put ashore without mishap.

Top Bottom