New Unit: Mounted Marshal 7-9-2016

Vuldacon

Dedicated to Excellence
Supporter
The Marshal is back as one of the Good Guys in Black... mounted on his Spirited Black Steed and ready to rid your town of Outlaws.

This Dude is Able, Willing and Ready to Ride :)

Mounted Marshal gif Preview:
Note that the gif Speeds differ in Game...especially the Run.
Default-Run-Default-Fidget-Default-Fortify-AttackA-Attack-Victory-Default-Fortify-AttackA-Attack-Death

Here is a Better example of the Run Speed in game:

The Units is Game Tested and Works Very Well.

Included Files:

Civilopedia: MMLarge.pcx, MMSmall.pcx, MM_units_32.pcx

Alternate Images and Extra Images

Animations (flcs): MMAttackA, MMAttack, MMDefault, MMRun, MMFortify, MMFidget, MMDeath and MMVictory

Sounds: MMAttackA.wav, MMAttack.wav, MMDeath.wav, MMFidget.wav, MMFortify.wav and MMVictory.wav.
The Run uses the CavalryRun.amb file Linked in the .ini file.
The Sounds fit well... let me know what you think.

Adjusted .ini file

*Remade the Default Flc to use Offsets so the Unit is seen on the Bottom Right Game Unit Window Box Better.

I Made this Unit for "The Old West Game" that is a work in progress but if anyone has a game where the Mounted Marshal
can also find a home, you are most welcome to add it :)

You can Download the Unit Here

Last edited:
I'll never say that any unit is horrible...it's art. Discharging a firearm next to a horses ear is never standard procedure. Great artwork but poor research.

Fredeye...Why do think I animated the Horse Ducking with the shots?

Have you seen any unit with a Hand Gun animated with a horse for the CIV game? Always a Rifle.

I did the best I could with understanding of all factors and what I had to work with.

Please make a Unit and show me the error of my ways, since YOU Know far more and are more accomplished than I.

If you download and look at that unit from other angles, you'll see that the gun isn't actually that close to the horse's ear. But that's neither here nor there - it's just kinda picky.

This is a really excellent unit, and definitely the best looking horse unit I've seen yet. I'm particularly fond of the run/gallop, but kudos for the western-style fidget.

Can't wait to get this into the Old West Mod!

No, I'm not doubting the most excellent art work and animation. This is complete talent. I'm just saying that weapons are held high not to spook their ride

...and if held High, they miss the target :)
Other game Horses have rifles shoot over the top of their heads and they still spook.

This is no different... just a pistol shot from the side.

Also, the Horse is not yet use to having a firearm fired that close to his head.

The Marshal just got the Horse and needs to work more with him so the horse just blinks when a a shot happens... like the horse for the "Lone Ranger" :)

Here is the Game Cavalry Attack with a Rifle... The Shot is Close to the side of the Horse, right?

In any case, I would not like to be the Horse having to put up with a Pistol or Rifle shooting next to my head :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks like the problem is that the gun or rifle has to be pointing in a very specific direction, and unless the horse is standing at an angle, that puts the muzzle next to its head. Can't be avoided.

But doesn't anyone want to talk about how gorgeous this unit is? I mean, I'm quite taken with it, from the gait to the swish of its tail. Somehow, it looks more like a horse than the fireaxis version, which seems to have no tail end.

I love the fidget animation! It's so subtje yet so realistic.

I also love the death animation. As an animator, death is usually (not always) the most difficult to do but it looks absolutely awesome. Well done!

I like it too (and will hopefully find a niche in my game for the Marshall ;) ).

BTW: The Sipahi, the US Cavalry by Wyrmshadow and several Cuirassier/Hussars by Sandris are also using pistols similar close to the head of the horse (My Darius would react much more violent to that than the animated horses :wow: ).

And as it is next to impossible to show the real live charge: most Lancers, Cuirassier, Hussars and other cavalry units with melee attack are coming to a full stop to attack (in real life such a stop would be close to suicide). I see it as an acceptable break to reality. ;)

A short question as I have not yet tested the Mounted Marshall: Is he in size to Firaxis/Sandris, Imperator1961 or another size?

Kirejara... the size is according to a "happy medium".

I posted this unite quite a wile back, asking about sizes.

I wanted the Mounted Marshal to be the exact same size as the Marshal on foot... but the horse would have to be far too large.

So I settled for a "Happy Medium" on size and the Marshal is actually larger than the Mounted Marshal with this Horse.

There are so many different sizes in game for units,. I tried for the average and best size.

There are smaller and larger horses in reality... so this Unit will fit in OK even though it is slightly larger than the CIV Cavalry Unit for example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom