New Unit: Siege Archer

This is magic! I'm just downloading your later stuff and saw this. Really cool.

It's so good in fact, have you thought about using it as a base for a "Pavisse Crossbowman"? They were big in the 14thC, and were often used against the English longbow... they needed a bloke with a huge shield to protect them as the logbowmen got at least 6 to 8 arrows off in the time it took the crossbowmen (using a crank by that time) to reload. The Genoese had the best (maybe a "Genoese Mercenary" unit?) - they wore green & red checked or striped surcoats (jupons) which were the colours of Genoa. All the Continental European armies employed them as mercenaries. The French actually rode theirs down after they ran from the English longbowmen at Crecy... then the French Knights rode up the hill to their deaths too! Your "Pietone" guy would make the right kind of armour (I think), and the Pavisse (the name of the actual shield) was often made of thick willow, so the one you have here would be great with a slightly more honey colour.

Just a thought for a good "100 Years War" or medievel Europe scenario :)

Nice unit, Utahjazz!

I humbly second Boewulf's request. If it strikes your fancy, the unit would surely be appreciated.

Either way, thanks, and great job :D

faizy999 said:
It is one defancive unit than normal arher
i suggest it 4.6.1 stats

Probably deserves to be, mate! Although that sounds more like the Pavisse Crossbowman. In reality, the English archer was an offensive unit, and was hopeless at defence without being inside some walls (or a wall of men-at-arms!)... maybe "tactical defense" would be a better description. This has always seemed a bit a a problem with Civ Stats as far as the Longbow is concerned. I've never been sure he was even on the right "evolutionary path" in the game... he should probably be an off-shoot, not a follow-on from the archer. He's his own man, as it were. :) As history goes, the crossbow is the evolution of the bow, not the longbow.

First of all, great work. I don't normally like "conjoined" units, but this seems to work.

As for suggestions on how to improve it ...

1. Get rid of the cross-piece that appears when the Archer reaches back and selects another arrow. Either remove some so it looks more like the feathers it's meant to imitate, or get rid of it entirely.

2. The shield seems to "grow" when it's laid down. Get rid of that part, since it doesn't appear either at first, or during the death animation.

Great!

I had just modded the Hittites to be Assyrians, converting their 3manchariot, but now perhaps I shall use this instead (could be quite equal to the bowmen)

Yes. All the units in this forum can be used in any version of Civ3.

Top Bottom