New uses for old units

If an enemy Civ sends a defended settler through your territory us your obsolete units to block its path. Three units can stop it going any further in its desired direction. Five units can redirect it back to it's borders. This is useful if you do not have enough units to make a complete wall.

Also, if you have nearby cities you can use them with your obsolete units to block the AI path, like an immobile unit.

If the AI has more than one defended settler you may need more units. At least three for each settler to be safe.

In what I call Second Degree ROP-rape, Ironclads can be useful for blockading harbor-equipped cities of civs that you have an ROP with, or more generally as a sea wall in maritime chokepoints. Not bad for disbanding to rush a harbor with, either.

Originally posted by scoutsout

A good point - though if you're caught that short on defenders, you miscalculated something...

Good point - tho when you never find yourself in any snafus, it's time to go up a difficulty level! :)

I always play on large maps with barbs.

In conjunction with the great wall I send out old units on barb hunting duty and the 25 to 50 gold for clearing a barb camp is a good source of supplimental income while you're building up your economy.

I mostly upgrade them, disband them or use them to block workers from wandering through my country.

I never disband cavalry until I get Modern Armor, the extra move is just too useful. (Same with Chinese Riders - if they're elite, I don't upgrade them.)

I'll upgrade elite spearmen and stuff though because they never seem to generate a leader anyway. I just don't upgrade attack units that are elite.

I might try saving them to disband in a newly captured city... great idea.

Top Bottom