new version coming

srpt

Deist
I know its been an awfully long time coming but I finally have the time and motivation to work on a new version. The focus will be on completeness and bug-fixing and I'm going to try to stick to a no-new-features-or-mechanics rule, but there will be new content and quite a bit of content removed. I started fresh (may seem crazy to some but its how I like to work) from a template I made from the final version of Sword of Islam about two weeks ago and its going well. I didn't want to post about it until I had gotten to the point where I was sure I would finish it, and I think I am at that point now. Hopefully I will have an alpha to release in a week or so.

As a teaser of what's to come, the biggest change in the new version is: the start and end dates of the mod will be 480BC and c.500AD. The Athenians and Macedonians will be added as playable civs and all the civs after the Guptas will either be gone or made non-playable. I've felt for a long time that Athens and Macedonia needed to be included in a mod that said it was about the classical world, and that the late civs needed to be cut. I chose the 480BC start because it was about the earliest I could go without having to deal with the historical lives of religion-founders Confucius, Buddha and Mahavira, who all lived at times of political fragmentation and weren't obviously associated with any particular state. The exact end date will be determined by the Sassanid and Gupta UHVs, but I will try to make it as early as possible.

Thanks to everyone for the continued interest, and especially to Sitalkas for his enthusiasm. I don't think I would have found the will to tackle this otherwise.

Sounds awesome, can't wait! Any plans to do any more work of your RFC India mod too?

I've been lost in a wilderness of unit art but I'm nearly through. The Persians, Greeks, Romans, Indians and Carthaginians are done, just the Celts, China, Korea and SE Asia left.
Yes I'd like to finish RFC India as well.

If the starting year is 480bc, then it's necessary to add the Warring States Period in China. There were 7 major states and several minor states from 475bc to 221bc in China, and then unified by Qin Empire.
The real matters could be referred to the mod in Warlords.

@soul-breathing: Yeah I'm glad you mentioned that because I wanted to ask you about it. I was thinking of having the Zhou emperor in control of Luoyang only in 480bc, with the other kingdoms as vassals. What I'm wondering is:
Which of the warring states are most important, since it will probably be impossible to include them all ( I was thinking Chu, Wu, Qi, Yan and Jin). The main limitation is Leaderheads. I'd like them all to be unique if possible and we need leaderheads for Qin, Han and the 3 Kingdoms as well.
Could any of those warring states be playable? Would they have interesting goals?
I was wondering if a playable Yue civ which incoporated the history of Yue, Min Yue and Nan Yue would be appropriate.
What do you think?

The main limitation is Leaderheads
Too bad there isn't one place you can check out all the available leaderheads from. If only Civ Gold had been maintained. I'm guessing RFCA would have a good selection of Chinese leaderheads. History Rewritten generally seems to use the nicest looking leaderheads.
I get why you chose 480 BC, but there is a nice balance in having a mod which runs from 500 BC to 500 AD.

@srpt
It's a complicated question. The Zhou emperor only has Luoyang in 480bc, and maybe can be set like the Papal State in RFCE. Any CHINESE states cannot attack it until someone get control of all cities in China. I don't know if it possible in code written.
Also, as the map limits, there is not enough space for both Zhou emperor and Han State(韩国). So maybe just remove the Zhou emperor, and make Han State get Luoyang?
The most important states in Warring Periods are Qin(秦国), Chu(楚国), Qi(齐国), Zhao(赵国) and Wei(魏国). Any of them have been the strongest state for several years, they could have 2 or more cities. The less important ones are Yan(燕国), Han(韩国), Lu(鲁国), Yue(越国), Shu(古蜀国), some of them are destroyed very early, maybe they could be minor civs which unplayable.
And, in early time of Warring Period, there was a big state called Jin State(晋国), which controled Shanxi and parts of Hebei and Henan. It splited in 453bc, and devided into Zhao(赵国) ,Wei(魏国) and Han(韩国) States. I suggest to make Jin State unplayable, then the 3 states spawn in 453bc.
About Yue State, it was conquered by Chu State in 306bc. There is a saying that the survivals of Yue State moved to Fujian and Guangdong, become Min Yue and Nan Yue. It's not so authoritative, but in the mod I think this relationship could be reflected.

Just an update, everything going great and I hope to have something post for testing by the end of the week.

Which week? ;)

Too bad there isn't one place you can check out all the available leaderheads from. If only Civ Gold had been maintained. I'm guessing RFCA would have a good selection of Chinese leaderheads. History Rewritten generally seems to use the nicest looking leaderheads.
I get why you chose 480 BC, but there is a nice balance in having a mod which runs from 500 BC to 500 AD.
Check MegaPack in my signature. It has 100+ civs with at least 2 leaderheads for each new civ and some more for vanilla too. You may find something for your liking.

@Swarbs: yeah that was a wildly over-optimistic estimate. I hit a bit of a wall soon after I posted that but I'm still creeping forward. Unit art took forever since I wanted unique sets for most civs but its 90% done now. Its not quite playable yet but it is ready to be posted as an alpha. I just need to re-learn all that svn crap.
@Zeta_nexus: thanks! I'll take a look

Aw man, have we gone from having two new versions of this mod to having none?

It will be great to see the Macedonians be in Classical World. Also will the calendar be edited because one year at a time is just too slow, maybe 3 years at a time could make it a bit faster.

One thing to address will be resource placement. Given the weakened outer rings it seems like a needless impediment to put certain resources in the outer ring of cities that have no other city spots nearby them. Why put the sardinian pearl two tiles away instead of one for example?

No.
SRPT has not posted in over a year. So I think it is safe to assume it is not going to happen.
Can still play the excellent original mod though: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rfc-classical-world.448413/
Plus there is Sitalkas' mod version of it: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rfc-classical-world.647955/
And if you still need more of an ancient/classical fix, then try RFC Greek World: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...fall-of-the-greek-world-revived-again.654019/

Cheers for the info I only just came across that after downloading the classical.
after re-buying the game after a decade or what ever I’d never played this version of RFC so I’m loving it regardless

seeing how much SOI, RFCE ect come on has been a thrill, thank god for lockdown it’s not been computer games diminishing my sleep for along time
DOC also enjoyable and developed so much the game runs fine but it takes so long for me to be able to load the actual mod to don’t bother with it :(

I didn’t enjoy Greek world but I love anything Sumer/Mesopotamia so was gutted how Sumer played and haven’t even tried another civ, the shape of the map there disappoint me basically I’m hoping for a Bronze Age Mesopotamia city states bonanza RFC hahah maybe I’ll give it another bash without my Sumer glasses on

Top Bottom