New Victory Conditions

Kailric

Jack of All Trades
Here we talk about ideas for new victory conditions. Fullerene started us off with some below. I want to focus on The New World idea for the moment as that is the one I want to add first.

I think there could be several victory conditions:
  • (Protestant) Reformation - the classic col victory type. Destroy invading (catholic) army
  • The New World - sail to the new world and build a colony
  • Renaissance - this one should be something about reaching huge culture/science level. Maybe you should also educate your noblemen somehow. I'm not sure about the exact details yet.
  • Conquest - as it's the name of the mod, this should be option too: remove all other factions from the map.
  • Crusade - not sure what this would exactly be, but just want to throw an idea.

The New World
Basically the idea is similar to the main Civ4 victory of colonizing a distant star. You must build a fleet of ships, stock them well with goods, and set sail hoping to discover the New World (ala Christopher Columbus). After a certain tech is researched it will unlock this option for all Civs. The game will somewhat keep track of the other Civs progress so you know where you stand. You may even have to send your Fleet earlier than when at 100% chance of success in order to beat a rival.

You would need special ships built and also special cargo containers that each require a variety of goods in order to be built. When you are ready move your fleet to the open seas and set sail for the unknown. The Victor could be the first to arrive successfully OR once you arrived you would then have a special Colony Screen where you must bring back your first harvest of New World Cargo in order to win.

Along with this addition the whole final Conquest would need to be removed, it would seem anyway. Also, I would want to add more options for diplomacy with the Pope where you can lose favor or gain favor making him an additional adversary to your goals or an ally depending on how well you treat his favor. This would need to be done in addition to the above changes in order to keep the Pope from just being a total nuisance to your new goals.

Would the conquest need to be removed? Would it not be possible to keep it as an 'Option 2' victory?

So you either set sail for the new world, or defeat the Pope and Enjoy a Protestant Reformation.
(Even better would be if you could remove the Victory Condition of the invasion, and simply have it reset the tax rate and Catholic Army If/When you win) [A multiple Invasion Mod comp? what nonsense is this!]

Would the conquest need to be removed? Would it not be possible to keep it as an 'Option 2' victory?

So you either set sail for the new world, or defeat the Pope and Enjoy a Protestant Reformation.
(Even better would be if you could remove the Victory Condition of the invasion, and simply have it reset the tax rate and Catholic Army If/When you win) [A multiple Invasion Mod comp? what nonsense is this!]

We would have to play test it probably and see how it plays. You would have to balance out the AI's desire to pursue a Conquest or New World as well. If we left the Conquest in we may could make it as you say, reset your tax rate or some other bonus instead of a win all.

This has been my first go testing "develop" branch.

I pulled the commits and I merged them with the master brach I had pulled in the first time.
Maybe, I should have deleted master in the first place. I didn't know how to proceed when pulling the second branch because the SmartGit6 messages are different from the wiki.
When pulling a branch onto an extisting branch they offer "rebase present onto the freshly pulled one" or "merging fetched changes onto present", which I chose.
If this is an issue, I can provide you with screenshots of these dialogue boxes for the wiki.

When I started the game, a couple of missing files popups appeared and then a debbuger message.
I don't remember them, but I can reproduce them if this has been your first news.

After ignoring them, I started a custom game and I could see the new victory conditions, and I ticked all of them except Time victory.

The game started and them, after turn 1 I won an Imperial Diplomatic Victory.

I will uncheck that victory and actualy start game testing later today.

You need to work from the develop branch only. Something doesn't sound right.

Your SmartGit should look like the pic below with all three mod folders saying (develop).

If not, first click one of the mod folders to select it, then click origin below to expand the options and then right click on the circled develop branch and the select Checkout Branch. You need to do this for all three mod folders.

Attachments

• develop.jpg
    develop.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 590
You were right, Kailric. Python and SourceDLL weren't checked out and they didn't belong to develop.

Now it is as you say. Up to pull, compile and test.

I keep on winning an Imperial Diplomatic victory after turn 1!!:dunno:

When I custom my game, I check all victories except Time and I uncheck Permanent Alliances. And I choose Revolutionary difficulty.

It is true that I may have done something wrong to obtain the mod, because both Smartgit and compiling are new for me (and I am just a monkey:badcomp:).

Nevertheless I started from scratch again, I deleted my folder, I cloned it again, (now default branch is “develop”), I checked all three subfolders to be tuned to “develop”, I included the two libraries(?) folders into the correct place and I compiled error free using assert-fast.

As you know, I play in a different computer, I transfer the compiled folder to my playing computer and I come out with that result.

At least, now I don’t have missing files error popups when mod loading since the moment Kailric told me to tune all three folders to “develop”.

Well, I will play on for more testing. Although my tests may not be taken very seriously, I guess.:undecide:

Ok, the Pope is still hounding me for Taxes, even when he don't like me and I don't like him. So, I am thinking; when you first meet the Pope he always asks how your dealings with him are going to be. I think right then you could decide if you want to attempt to appease the Pope or not. If you choose not to he will label you as a heretic and have very little relations with you. You will then have to deal with the chance of Crusades being called against you and also other Civs that are friendly to the Pope not liking you. This will cause you to pick your friends carefully.

I've added three new Victory Types. The Only one that is working at the moment is Imperial Domination. To win this victory type you have to declare war on the Pope and Control Rome.

There is also Imperial Diplomat and Liberation victory types in the XML but I haven't coded them yet. Honestly, I'd have to go back and look at my notes to see what I planned to do with those. I am thinking Imperial Diplomat was perhaps if the Pope and other Civs agreed to nominate you Emperor. And Liberation was, if you was friendly with the Pope you would have to annihilate the forces that lay siege to Rome and the Papacy.

So, I need to go ahead and finish out the Liberation victory type so when you make your choice to follow the Pope you can win that way. Also, if you do follow the Pope there can still be the chance that if you fall out to much with him he will label you as a heretic. If you are on good terms with him at the start of your Conquest he can grant you some of his Royal Guards.

That's some ideas on this...

Edit: Perhaps if you ever have more than 1 Censure at a time there is a chance you could be labeled a Heretic.

I've made some progress. If you are friends with the Pope, the REF that spawns will be controlled by the Barbarian Player. Their mission will be to Destroy Rome. I've done some limited testing on this: I spawned a Ship loaded with three Barbarian Infidels. They made their way to the Pope's domain, unloaded and started causing havoc. They eventually destroyed Rome. So, the Goal for a Pope Liberation Victory will be to Defeat the Barbarians and Defend Rome. If Rome falls you lose and the Barbarians win, yay :viking:!

For a Imperial Domination victory you have to conquer Rome yourself and defeat the Liberation Force.

If you are friends with Rome fighting against the Barbarians you could gain a Crusader buff for your units.

There could perhaps be a way for you to redeem yourself once you are labeled a Heretic. Perhaps, the Pope will have a daunting task for you.

I feel like the next major addition will be to add a proper Victory Condition. And I like the one about Discovering the New World as it truly fits. It would be a mimic of Civ4s colonizing Alpha Centauri. You will have to Build a Fleet of Carracks (they will be none purchasable) and then stock them full of Provisions. In Civ4 you had to build all the different Space Ship parts and you could build them in different Cities. So, to fully implement this concept we should have the Provisions actually able to be built in any city. Such as Food Rations, could be built as a Unit in any city and you would need a certain amount, obviously requiring YIELD_FOOD to complete. We could also split the Parts of the Carracks up. Like its Sails, made from Cloth, and the masts: foremast, mainmast, and mizzenmast all made from Lumber as well as the Fore and AftCastles made from Lumber.

We also would have a New World Screen setup that kept track of all your endeavors. With the chance of success displayed and based on how well you had your Fleet Provisioned and Built. You would also be notified of the Progress of your rivals. Would we then need to remove Carracks from normal play or leave them in is one question. Or have a special type of Carrack for Ocean voyages.

Well, the caravel was actually the exploration ship of the age, the Carrack was for war and trade. So it could be a caravel fleet that you build instead.

I can't actually remember what ships we have in M:C, but we could have something like Cogs, Holks and Carracks, with the Caravel Fleet being the 'spaceship'.

It could be a two tier thing, where yo first have to build an exploration expedition, and then you build a colonial expedition once you have a successful exploration.

I was just thinking about Mr. Columbus and that his flag ship was a Carrack, so that's why I suggested a Carrack. But, we could do the two stages where the initial exploration could be done with Carracks and then the Colonization could be done with Caravel Fleets as you say.

That could be an excellent victory condition.

If you aim for historical accuracy, Mr. Columbus actually discovered America on two caravels and a “Nao”. I’m not an expert, but Carracks were an evolution from both the exploration ship caravel and the merchant ship “Nao”. Carracks were basically bigger and stronger than “Naos”, with hulk reinforcements and other changes on sails and rudder.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nao (German)
https://shipwiki.wikispaces.com/Santa+Maria

So you could use “Nao construction” for the victory condition, and you can keep Carracks into the current ship system.

Ok, let's just do Caravels as the Exploration/Colonization ships. What all provisions did the explorers take with them? Like did they take extra Masts, or Cloth for Sails. It would be good to get all your cities involved with the Exploration process so we would need something they could build as obviously towns without a port couldn't build ships.

We could design a New World Screen where you get to put your Fleet together based on what materials and parts you have built so far. You could select how many masts you want for each ship as well perhaps how many decks, the size of the ship etc. Your choices would reflect how close your rivals are to sending out their fleet. If they are soon to launch their fleet and yours is only at 60% chance of success you may want to do what you can to improve it and send it on anyway in the hopes that you will succeed before your rivals do.

I was thinking of a completely different assembly way.
Instead of having a New World Assembly Screen, a new way could be constructing the separate parts as units.

So, let’s say we need four parts to build a caravel. They can be four units constructed in the same way we construct a wagon in different cities:

Victory_part_sails_unit (300 cloth)
Victory_part_masts_unit (300 wood)
Victory_part_ship_structure_unit (500 wood)
Victory_part_plank_wood_unit (400 whatever)

Then all parts could be transported to a coastal city with dockyards and trigger the victory or you could be able to build the actual caravel at the dockyard having the four elements present in the city plus other additional goods.

I was thinking of a completely different assembly way.
Instead of having a New World Assembly Screen, a new way could be constructing the separate parts as units.

So, let’s say we need four parts to build a caravel. They can be four units constructed in the same way we construct a wagon in different cities:

Victory_part_sails_unit (300 cloth)
Victory_part_masts_unit (300 wood)
Victory_part_ship_structure_unit (500 wood)
Victory_part_plank_wood_unit (400 whatever)

Then all parts could be transported to a coastal city with dockyards and trigger the victory or you could be able to build the actual caravel at the dockyard having the four elements present in the city plus other additional goods.

Yes, this would probably be a better idea and easier for the AI to understand.

Top Bottom