Newbie Questions 2 - post them in THIS thread please!

Before you get astronomy, harbors can only trade-connect coastal cities that are joined together by a route of coastal squares. My question is, do diagonaly connected coastal squares count? This picture is an example of what I am talking about. In this game, if these two coastal squares (the ones that are outlined in red) aren't "connected," then there is no way that the two continents can be trade-connected until I research astronomy. I assume that they are considered trade-connected since the two squares are considered connected for unit movement purposes, but I'm not sure, and I don't want to waste 40 turns building a harbor, so I want someone here to clarify it for me.

Attachments

• harborconnectionquestion.gif
    harborconnectionquestion.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 167
Even after astronomy you would still need a harbor, so why not build it? You can rush it to speed up how long it takes.

My guess would be that they are connected (for the same reason you stated), but I'm not 100% positive on it.

OK, by playing a little test scenario, I have found out that diagonal squares DO connect trade-wise. :)

Oh, and I guess the slight advantage of waiting to build the harbors would be that I wouldn't have to pay maintainence for awhile, but now that I know they are connected it doesn't matter anyway.

Willij:

Of course if either civ has built the Great Lighthouse, astronomy would not be needed. And as you can irrigate from diagonal squares it would only make sense that trade would be able to use diagonals as well.

I have a question, i am in about 2100 in year and i can't build armies yet!, i am in the middle of researching stuff like computers and that, no leaders have come up and i have been successful in battle, the oppurtunity to build that wonder has not shown up, another question is regarding small wonders, can each civ have 1 small wonder each, or do the same rules apply for the bigger wonders in that only one allowed in total?

Originally posted by Scrooooge
I have a question, i am in about 2100 in year and i can't build armies yet!, i am in the middle of researching stuff like computers and that, no leaders have come up and i have been successful in battle, the oppurtunity to build that wonder has not shown up, another question is regarding small wonders, can each civ have 1 small wonder each, or do the same rules apply for the bigger wonders in that only one allowed in total?

'no leaders yet' - you need 1 leader that you turn into an army that needs to win 1 battle - THEN you can build the Military Academy and that gives the town the ability to build armies.

each cív can build each small wonder once.

great wonders can be built once in the entire game.

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Willij:

Of course if either civ has built the Great Lighthouse, astronomy would not be needed. And as you can irrigate from diagonal squares it would only make sense that trade would be able to use diagonals as well.
I am near positive that the Great Lighthouse does not affect trade connections; it just affects ships' movement points and it allows galleys to safely transverse sea squares. I am also near positive that you cannot irrigate from diagonal squares; I distinctly remember in my current game trying to do that and I realized that you can only irrigate from horizontally or vertically connected squares.

WillJ:

Any square that you can move a ship into without the danger of sinking is able to be used as a trade square (which is why you need astronomy without the Great Lighthouse for sea squares and Navigation to use ocean squares) I know that you can irrigate from diagonals as I do it every game ( w/ 1.29 don't know about earlier patches)

WillJ:

Any square that you can move a ship into without the danger of sinking is able to be used as a trade square (which is why you need astronomy without the Great Lighthouse for sea squares and Navigation to use ocean squares)
Oh OK, I didn't know that. So if that's true, I guess the wonders list at CFC, along with the civilopedia, should be changed to say that the GL makes trade possible across sea squares.
I know that you can irrigate from diagonals as I do it every game ( w/ 1.29 don't know about earlier patches)
Hmm, that's strange, since I have 1.29 and I remember having to irrigate using only horizontal and vertical connections. Oh well, I may just not be thinking straight. :crazyeye:

Just to be 100% sure I think I'll test these with a little scenario.

What advantages does the al get over me on the higher difficulty levels? Im sure he gets some extra settlers and soldiers cuz he has like 6+ soldiers and 6+ cities while i just have built my second city, on deity.

WillJ:

Any square that you can move a ship into without the danger of sinking is able to be used as a trade square (which is why you need astronomy without the Great Lighthouse for sea squares and Navigation to use ocean squares) I know that you can irrigate from diagonals as I do it every game ( w/ 1.29 don't know about earlier patches)
Mad Bomber, in a little test scenario I have proven you right about the diagonal irrigation thing and wrong about the Great Lighthouse/trade thing. This picture explains it all:

Attachments

• test picture 3.gif
    test picture 3.gif
    167 KB · Views: 121
Xterminator- On Deity the AI starts out with 1 free settler, 2 extra workers, and 12 military units. Plus their growth and production rates are 40% faster than yours (they only need 6 shields to build a warrior that takes you 10 shields, and they only need 12 food to grow vs. your 20).

Plus you only have 1 citizen born content, have no bonus vs barbarians, and have terrible odds on goody huts, while the AI is playing by regent level rules (the AI plays by regent rules, regardless of what level you play) and has 2 citizens born content, better results from goody huts, and a combat bonus vs. barbarians. And they get free unit support. The AI to AI trade rate is also very high. You experience more corruption than lower levels.

On emperor, the AI has a 20% growth/production advantage on you, and they start with 8 military units and 1 free worker. They still have many other advantages, but not as bad as deity.

On monarch, the AI has a 10% growth/production advantage, and 3 free military units. Also some other advantages like free unit support, but not as bad as emperor or deity.

Regent everything is the same except the AI to AI trade ratio gives the AI a slight edge.

And obviously on Chieftain and Warlord, you have a growth/production advantage.

The cost to research is the same for the AI on all levels, but the human is the one that is either shot in the foot or given a bonus. On deity what costs the AI 100 gold to research, would cost you 167 gold (I believe that is the number I have seen) to research yourself, but on chieftain it would cost you only 50 gold.

How do I get my atrittlery to attack? They will defend if in a city being attacked, but I get the message I would get with a worker or settler when I ask them to bombard a city.

Don't know about that, luckyboy - artillery are a waste of time on me. BTW, what patch are you playing? Perhaps it's a bug that was fixed later...

Does anyone know how much a Recycling Center or a Mass Transit system reduces pollution? I build them like crazy when I reserach recycling but like banks, I build them because they do something.

luckyboy, are you just moving the unit onto the enemy unit, like other units? That won't work. You just press the 'bombard' button (or 'b' on your keyboard), then select your target.

hbdragon88, Recycling centers and mass transits reduce pollution to 1 for each type of pollution. so if you had both, the max pollution you would get in each city is 2 (1 from population pollution, and 1 from production pollution).

Sorry Willj but a path for trading cannot include undiscovered country, buid a harbor in York and ye shall recieve your grapes.

Sorry Willj but a path for trading cannot include undiscovered country, buid a harbor in York and ye shall recieve your grapes.
Doh! I knew that. :o You were right. So maybe this site's wonder list and the civilopedia should be updated to say that the GL makes trade across seas possible?

Sorry for doubting you. :(

I have never checked out the encyclopedia but I think this is something that is infered, after all if your ships can get there they should be able to trade, NO?

A suicide galley can sometimes make it over to the other coast but trading resources/luxuries isn't possible. I've seen instances where ships did have the number of moves to safely make it and trade still isn't possible and I haven't been able to figure out why.

Rufryder:

A trading path over water must consist completely of squares that your ships can sail safely, if even one tile is a sea (if you don't have the GL or astronomy) or Ocean (w/o Navigation) then you are unable to trade with the civ even if you both have harbors.

Top Bottom