• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Newbie Questions 2 - post them in THIS thread please!

Originally posted by RufRydyr
So the ship can 'skip' over the ocean tile cause it's in the middle of it's move, but that doesn't count for trading?
Yep.

willj: another thing: the tile left of london is NOT diagonal irrigation unless London is on a hill..... otherwise it is side-by-side from London ;)

And Willj:

In addition to the harbor, York needs to be connected to the grapes via road in order to be in the trade network and provide grapes to the island. ;)

I have played two games now and the first one was full of wars. One thing I didn't like was the following. I am of course much stronger than my enemy, I take some of his cities and check now and then if he's willing to surrender yet. That is, pay 20, 40 or 80 gold per turn, depending on how many towns he has still left. When he does, I am a suppressor and I feel good.
But the nasty part: after some turns, probably 20, they just declare that they no longer pay. They show a deal, peace treaty for peace treaty, with the 80 gold per turn removed. And then if I don't like it, I have to declare war on them. And I get the blame, because the world thinks I have no excuse to declare war. And worse, the fear of the AI player is gone: they don't mind if destroy them completely. They don't see a link between their cease of payment, and my attack.
This gives me the feeling I fight a careless machine, I change bits and bytes instead of fighting a civilization. My dream ends.
I guess Firaxis made it so, because it could become too easy if a civ pays you so much for the rest of the game. But that's the way it works in the real world. AND ITS FUN, FEELS GOOD!
They should only be able to get out like this:
1. the civ can fight itself free by building many units. (THEY declare war and you get no blame).
2. you are democracy or republic, and thus "too civilized" to do a suppression longer than 20 turns. (this makes monarchy and communism much better governments for warlike players.)
These are two suggestions to change the game, in a new patch.

Splat:

First the term you are looking for is oppressor, not surpressor.

Second you can always tack on the 20,40, 60, gold, whatever it was before back on when renegotiating a peace treaty. Any time you negotiate with lump sums, you will always need to add the appropriate lump sum payment back on during renegotiations. If they don't agree to the payments, click "nevermind" down at the bottom, your advisor will pop up to confirm your action, and then you are at war (again).

I know it's technically possible to tell the AI again that you want 60 gpt still. (I worked with per turn amounts.) But my experience was they didn't want to pay anymore at that point, or just a fraction of the first amount. If you answer them with destruction, I would expect them to be on their knees quickly. But the AI is so careless about his people.
Or is it different in anybody else's games?
Does anybody do oppression?

ok I'll give it a try again (I now play another game on a somewhat harder level). But you also have the problem, if that 'pressing them hard enough' means taking a lot of cities, then there's nothing left of them when they surrender again, and you get some 8 gpt from the 3 small towns they have left. Perhaps if you play a harder difficulty, their towns are much bigger and richer, and you can take much more from them.

splat: try this cacel the peace when you meet them, then get them to pay ;) but be carefull, maybe THEY want something from you for peace.....

Luckyboy: check the manual (it's on the CD) and make SURE you have the necessary resource, technology and the unit is in a town with barracks. Then, a new button will pop up - or s9imply press u (shift-u for upgrading all units of that type)......

Or if it's a naval unit, have a harbor, an airport if an air unit. Make sure of that - argh it's frustrating to land troops in a town that doesn't have any barracks or anything at all!

Suppose you build a Factory after a Mass Transit System and/or a Recycling Center - does that roll back the effects of the Transit or the Center?

Originally posted by hbdragon88
Suppose you build a Factory after a Mass Transit System and/or a Recycling Center - does that roll back the effects of the Transit or the Center?
AFAIK, no. Mass Transit Systems reduce population pollution (when one unit of pollution is produced for every citizen after the 12th one) down to one unit. Recycling Centers reduce improvement pollution down to one unit. It doesn't matter when you build the polluting improvements or when the population gets above 12.
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
And Willj:

In addition to the harbor, York needs to be connected to the grapes via road in order to be in the trade network and provide grapes to the island. ;)
Um, yeh, I kind of knew that. :rolleyes: ;) Oh, and actually I tested it not by building a harbor in York and connecting it to the grapes, but by (in the editor) adding a city with a harbor on a tile that would be able to "see" the trade route. Not that that matters, just thought you should know. :D

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
willj: another thing: the tile left of london is NOT diagonal irrigation unless London is on a hill..... otherwise it is side-by-side from London ;)
Hehe, I didn't think of that. :lol: Well, at least I showed diagonal irrigation with the other two squares.

Originally posted by willj
Um, yeh, I kind of knew that. :rolleyes: ;) Oh, and actually I tested it not by building a harbor in York and connecting it to the grapes, but by (in the editor) adding a city with a harbor on a tile that would be able to "see" the trade route. Not that that matters, just thought you should know. :D

:lol: Just razzing ya Willj, I know your not a newbie:)

I have set the cpu to cpu trade rate to only 102, but they still trade those ancient techs like crazy. Cpu doesn't have that desire to stay ahead in tech when they see 30 or 50 shiny gold pieces in the other civ's pocket, I guess.
Anyway, I have 2 questions:
1. If AI gets golden age, do I get notified?
2. Do I get golden age by attacking barbarians with my UU.

Can I have a coal plant and a solar plant and a ... plant in the same city?

If not, can I use a coal plant to build a solar plant - i.e. will the solar plant when built knock the coal plant out?

Richard

you can have just one electricity making plant at a time per city. A newly built plant will remove any previous plant. Maybe it's a good idea to sell the old one just before the new one finishes?

Originally posted by richard D
Can I have a coal plant and a solar plant and a ... plant in the same city?

If not, can I use a coal plant to build a solar plant - i.e. will the solar plant when built knock the coal plant out?

Richard

NO. Only one power plant!

It will knock it off and then coal plant reappears in the building options. (If you're not careful you can wind up replacing power plants back and forth.)

The Hoover Dam is great cause it puts a pollution free hydroelectic plant in every city on the continent, even cities without a river. [If you start pre-building it make sure that city is on a river.]{The coolest thing about the Hoover Dam is that as soon as you finish a factory, production is doubled in that city since the hydro plant is already there waiting for it. A hydro plant with no factory does nothing for production.}

The nuclear plant produces more than the others and doesn't cause pollution (they rarely meltdown).

Coal is horrible cause of the pollution. It's better to just wait for the techs that let you build the other types of plants.

-----Once you have one of the above you can built a manufacturing plant, but without the pollution reducing recycling plant you're going to have several pollution triangles. You get two triangles just from the factory.

Once everyone on the map is conquered I start selling factories to reduce pollution. A size 12 city can easily be pollution free that way. A city with a hospital and mass transit will only have 1 triangle.

Top Bottom