Newbie Questions: Ask here and get answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Hate the Fog of War in Civ 3. I wish there was a way to toggle it off and have my exploration maps stay visible after I leave the area as in CIV 2. I got around this problem by modifying the FogofWar.pcx file in Civ3. However, the same mods don't work for PTW. Does anyone have a way to make the PTW FOW work like Civ2?

Originally posted by Czarina

When I get Theology, not only can I not switch production but no other city can build the Sistine Chapel either (it's greyed out on the production list).

I have checked, and it wasn't automatically added to a city's production queue, so what's the prob? Do I need so many cathedrals before starting Sistine, like Wall Street? It doesn't mention that in the help guide.

I hate to waste so many sheilds! :(

Similar thing happened to me in the game I'm currently playing except it was Leonardo's Workshop. I had started working on the Forbidden Palace (or something else can't remember) and when I advanced in science I went to change buildings but it was greyed out. It would have only taken 1 more turn to finish, so I guessed the programmers decided to put a stop to that kind of stuff. I can't be 100% sure, but I think it was greyed out in the other cities as well. I had to switch to cathedral and lose a lot of shields and start on it the next turn.

Originally posted by sumthinelse

Use the editor (civ3edit for civ3, civ3xedit for ptw).
Go to scenario->scenario properties and set the number of civs to 24. I believe you have to also check "custom rules" and then
rules->edit rules->world sizes, set "number of civs" = 24 civs for whatever world size you want. Then save the scenario as some name, go to the ptw or civ3 start menu and "load scenario."

Does this mean I start a normal Civ3 game, save it. Then launch the editor, change the number of civs, save it as a scenario. Then relaunch civ3 and load the saved scenario?

Originally posted by grognard
I Hate the Fog of War in Civ 3. I wish there was a way to toggle it off and have my exploration maps stay visible after I leave the area as in CIV 2. I got around this problem by modifying the FogofWar.pcx file in Civ3. However, the same mods don't work for PTW. Does anyone have a way to make the PTW FOW work like Civ2?

I haven't heard of it, but you could try it over at the creation and customization forum. I believe it has something to do with roads.

Originally posted by anarres
You must have either:

1) Disbanded units in the city, or
2) Forrested a tile in the city radius

Either of these actions will forbid you to build a wonder, as they add shields to the total. This was implemented in a patch for Civ3 (at least in 1.29f), and is standard for PTW.

Ok, if I understand you correctly, a worker action to plant forest is keeping me from switching, even though I have tons of turns before the palace is complete?

Is this documented in the readme file or is it a know bug? (Or is it a feature? :D )

Call it a feature, if you will. :)

Wonders must be created "pure", that is, they must be built with no hurry-up shields from disbanding or foresting. If you have any shields in the production box from these actions, the Wonder will not be allowed to be built. The only way to hurry a Wonder is with a Great Leader.

It is documented, I believe. (I don't have my Civ manual at work with me. ;) ) I just don't recall where.

Originally posted by Czarina
Ok, if I understand you correctly, a worker action to plant forest is keeping me from switching, even though I have tons of turns before the palace is complete?

Is this documented in the readme file or is it a know bug? (Or is it a feature? :D )
Sorry, brain must have been elsewhere when I wrote that. It should have read:

2) Deforrested a tile in the city radius

Edit: IIRC, when you are building a wonder, deforresting or disbanding will not add shields to your production box. In this case you can switch to another wonder.

Originally posted by Padma
Call it a feature, if you will. :)

Wonders must be created "pure", that is, they must be built with no hurry-up shields from disbanding or foresting. If you have any shields in the production box from these actions, the Wonder will not be allowed to be built. The only way to hurry a Wonder is with a Great Leader.

It is documented, I believe. (I don't have my Civ manual at work with me. ;) ) I just don't recall where.

So the Sistine Chapel has to be a virgin, huh? Ok, live and learn. But I can still pull workers to improve tiles (no forest) for the potential shields that were already on the map as long as they don't try to add them. Hmmm...it appears I am stuck with the palace.

So you don't play Civ at work, you just browse the forums? That's the only time I can do it too! It's amazing I can still do my job...

Thanks for the info!

Someone explain to me what 'culturally linked starting positions' is, please.

I thought it meant if you were a Med civ, most of the civs around you would also be Med.
Last game I was Babylon, my neighbors were Ottomans, England, Persia, Arabia, and Zulu. How did England get in there?

I need some information concerning maps. Specifically, what is the corelation between map size and resource distribution (if in fact there is one)?

If someone knows anything about map basics, or can point me to someone who does, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance. :goodjob:

Originally posted by cromagnon
Someone explain to me what 'culturally linked starting positions' is, please.

I thought it meant if you were a Med civ, most of the civs around you would also be Med.
Last game I was Babylon, my neighbors were Ottomans, England, Persia, Arabia, and Zulu. How did England get in there?

You are correct in your assumption.

Why England got in there.. hmm.. that is the question. I can only assume that your chose random ai civs and England was chosen and thrown next to you because there was nowhere else to place them. - I am guessing here.

Originally posted by Raijer
I need some information concerning maps. Specifically, what is the corelation between map size and resource distribution (if in fact there is one)?

If someone knows anything about map basics, or can point me to someone who does, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance. :goodjob:

I belive that bonus resource distribution is all random and is not influenced by map size.

For stategic and luxary resources, i belive that the numbers of these should equal the number of civs at the start of the game. The modders over in the creation forum may be able to confirm or deny this.

Originally posted by sealman

I belive that bonus resource distribution is all random and is not influenced by map size.

For stategic and luxary resources, i belive that the numbers of these should equal the number of civs at the start of the game. The modders over in the creation forum may be able to confirm or deny this.

I agree. To demonstrate this, set 2 civs in a acenario in the editor and generate a huge map. You may have to build a long road to get iron, and I think Firaxis should provide an option to make strategic/lux proportional to map size. An option, because not everybody wants to play that way.

cool333: nice nuke. now where's your question or answer to one? or are you on a spam trip?

let me warn you, the mods won't like that.

When you install PTW, it installs as a seperate game, and therefore you can keep on playing vanilla Civ, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom