Newbie Questions - ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we give our selves custom titles

Originally posted by King_Lewis
How do we give our selves custom titles
Go to your User CP (by clicking on the "User CP" button at the top of the page), then go to "Edit Profile," then scroll down some until you see the title option, and type in what you want your custom title to be. And that should do it! :) (Ask again if you need any help or have any problems.)

Originally posted by GrandMasta Nick
How do you post polls?
When creating a new thread, you'll see that at the bottom of all the boxes below the text box there's a box labeled "Post a poll:." Click on the "Yes! post a poll" checkbox and then set the number of options that you want. When you're done creating the thread and you click "Submit New Thread" you'll be taken to the poll creation screen. Set all your poll options there (like whether you want it to be multiple-choice-allowed-checkboxes or single-choice-only-bubbles) and when you're done click submit, and your thread and poll will be submitted.

I'm reasonably new to the game, and have one question:

When disbanding a unit in a city, what is really supposed to happen? I started building tanks in my big cities to get a little bit better building speed in my far-flung cities. I sent them to disband in the far-flung cities but nothing seemed to happen... at least not production-wise. Any clues?

:confused:

Additionally - probably everyone already know this, but I've never seen it mentioned, so it might be useful putting this in the newbie thread - holding shift down during the AI turn makes their units move a lot faster, which sometimes makes the wait for your next turn a lot shorter!! :goodjob:

Originally posted by The Mad Swede
I'm reasonably new to the game, and have one question:

When disbanding a unit in a city, what is really supposed to happen? I started building tanks in my big cities to get a little bit better building speed in my far-flung cities. I sent them to disband in the far-flung cities but nothing seemed to happen... at least not production-wise. Any clues?
Besides the obvious effect of the unit dissapearing and your unit maintainence going down by one, bonus shields will also be given to the nearest city (if it's in a city or city radius). HOWEVER, no shields will be given if the city is building a wonder (great or small) or a palace. The same holds true when cutting down forests; if the city is producing a wonder or palace it won't get any bonus shields. The only way to rush a wonder or palace is with a Great Leader. So were you building a great or small wonder or a palace? That's the only thing that I can think of.

In the upper left corner of the active unit screen (in the lower right of the play screen) there is a little colored light that looks similar to a sun. What is it? Does it indicate anything?

Originally posted by Windrake
In the upper left corner of the active unit screen (in the lower right of the play screen) there is a little colored light that looks similar to a sun. What is it? Does it indicate anything?

That is an indicator of global warming. Not nearly as good as the one in Civ2, however. The color of it is supposed to change as pollution increases, but usually it keeps its normal yellow color.

Originally posted by cgannon64
Alright, I'm not a noob but is important I know this for my upcoming SG: can tanks (and MI and MA and etc.) and such be loaded onto helicopters? I know they can't be airlifted, but can they go onto helicopters? And, if they can't, how can I set this in the editor?

Thanks alot.

CG

Uhm. All military units (including tanks, MI:s and MA:s) CAN be airlifted. Settlers, workers and Leaders can't, however. :scan:

Originally posted by Windrake
When global warming starts (after there has been enough pollution for a while), a yellow sun will appear where you're saying; this is what you are seeing. When global warming starts getting worse the sun will turn yellow, and when it gets really bad, it'll turn red.

Global warming, caused by pollution and by nuclear weapons, changes grasslands to plains and plains to desert (and in the most recent SOTD even hills to desert!). You normally don't see high levels of global warming (and an orange or red sun) unless there has been nuclear weapon activity.

EDIT: Darn, Hurricane, you beat me to it!

Originally posted by The Mad Swede
I started building tanks in my big cities to get a little bit better building speed in my far-flung cities. I sent them to disband in the far-flung cities but nothing seemed to happen... at least not production-wise. Any clues?

:confused:

Place the unit in the city, then double-click the city to open it. Disband the unit from inside the city view and you'll see it add the shields to your production box. In case you were wondering, you get 1/4 of the production cost back. For example, disbanding a swordsman gives you 7 shields (cost 30). An army gives you 25 (cost 100). There's a hand chart that shows the value for each unit.

I've been hearing all this stuff about a spearman being able to kill a tank. I've only seen this happen once, and it was pure luck that it happened - the tank had been weakened against a rifleman and it the swordsman I had was swiping at it. It retreated and the next turn it was slaughtered. Luck luck luck.

Question Re: Embassies and Gold. I am not sure when to establish embassies. :crazyeye:

Two examples - in one Chieftan TD game I had 1500 g (+40 pt) and as soon as I had contact with other countries (after 740 AD !!!) - estab. 3 emabssies for about 40 g each. Another game (Warloard succession) - 150 gold (+6 pt) - found opponents in 1790 BC - 40 g each x 2. When do you know when to estab. an embassy and when is it worth spending a good bit of your gold? :confused:

Thanks, McDan

I am not new, however a need to know to create a screenshot for my SG.

I very often use my embassies to spy on the AIs progress of their wonders (especially at higher levels), most of the time they build it in their capital city in early ages.
Of course the definite advantage of the embassy is to be able to cut diplomatic deals with them like Military Alliances or Trade Embargos. As soon as you are in a war with an AI civ, establish embassies and then you cna get the other AIs to declare war to your ennemy(ies).

Originally posted by naervod
I am not new, however a need to know to create a screenshot for my SG.
Press Shift+Print Scrn. (usually located on the top of the keyboard to the right of the F# keys), then minimize the game, then open up a picture editing program (such as Paint), and click Edit/Paste (or press Ctrl.+V). Your screenshot should appear! :)

Hit the Windows logo key on your keyboard and click onto > Programs > Acccsories > Paint and hit Paste. Edit the screenshot through there. There's no way to minimize it; if you minimize it it pops back behind the open program.

Spearman vs. Tank is this a real deal thing? On the combat calculator the Tanks wins 90+ percent of the time.

stalin006: you can also use Alt-Tab if you want to jump to a different program you are running parallel.

hbdragon88: I had a game where I lost 10 tanks to spearmen for a quota of about 2%......

Originally posted by cgannon64
Alright, I'm not a noob but is important I know this for my upcoming SG: can tanks (and MI and MA and etc.) and such be loaded onto helicopters? I know they can't be airlifted, but can they go onto helicopters? And, if they can't, how can I set this in the editor?

Thanks alot.

CG

Tanks can be airlifted from airport to airport using default rules, however helo's cannot carry tanks. To change this in the editor deselect the flag "only transports foot units"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom