Newbie Questions - ask here!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Lt. 'Killer' M., Oct 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

it shows you have an embassy there

go ahead, make my day ;)

2. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

it shows you have an embassy there

go ahead, make my day ;)

3. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle

Ah, moving further into the light!:goodjob:

Thanks Lt.

BTW - looks like you're having as much trouble as I am trying to post. I guess the place must be nut to butt with PTW complainers!

4. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle

Hey Lt. - back again for more enlightenment.

I haven't bought PTW yet (as it should go on special at Best Buy next week -probably around $20). When I get it, and go MP - many posts have reccomended "being under 200 pings." What's that?

Next question: I'm currently playing Civ 3 on the ME edition at home. I've heard PTW doesn't support ME. Any gouge?

5. Fred the Pink

Fred the Pink Chieftain

Lt. - SOTD has smiley faces for luxuries and key letters for resouces on map, makes them easy to spot. Is that some setting or a custom terrain set or what? I want it! Thanks!

6. xavitor

xavitor Chieftain

Raijer - 200 pings is a loose reference to 200 millisecond response time when using the ping utility. It's common in most internet games and is an indication of network speed between the server machine and the player, it is not always accurate unfortunately.
    Fred - Check out the Graphics Mod pack threads ... try here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15022

7. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle

Cool, thanks xavitor. It does bring up another question though:
    is this something I can set (in preferences or whatnot)? Or is the number strictly server and/or network dependent?

Of course all of this could simply be in the PTW manual, which along with the game itself, I have yet to purchase. If so, feel free to give me the true newbie answer: RTFM! :confused:

Thanks again x (and you as well Lt.)

8. Seraph

Seraph Chieftain

Its more or less based on this. The main issues are:

Your connection to the server
    The servers connection to the outside world

And the same issues for who your connecting to.
    Modems tend to add a lot of latency to your connection, espcially the big ISP's like AOL.

About the only way to help ping is to limit the number of things using the connection. This generally doenst do much however.

9. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle

So what you're saying, if the above is true, is that who you can play on-line is going to be purely a matter of luck.

If that's the case, I may not buy PTW at all. :mad: Frustrating!

Anyway, thanks for the info Seraph.

10. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

about the letters and smileys - on the main site (www.civfanatics.com) you can find a link somewhere to the download area. There you will find lots of interesting mods including thoses that make resources easier to see :D

ME-trouble: I NEVER got Civ3 to run on ME and switched to XP....... I guess PTW would give the same trouble - some people can play it, some can't. :(

11. Dantius

Dantius Chieftain

I've been wanting to make my own scenario's for awhile now, but I cannot find nor get what the hell an editor is, and it's pissing me off. I thought it was built into the game... and according to the PTW box, it says I can create my own scenario's with an "enhanced editor that includes extra units and tile sets". Where the hell is it?!

Please tell me something, if you can't tell, I am growing frustrated.

12. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

Dantius: there is an extra *.exe file called civedit.exe IIRC, you can access it via Start-->Programs-->Infograms Interactive--> Civilization 3-->Civedit

13. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

The editor for PTW is actually in the Programs-->Infograms Interactive-->Civ3-->Civ3PTW folder. the file is called 'Civ3XEdit'.
    The old editor is still in the Civ3 folder, but it doesn't include the new civs/units.

I have Windows ME and Civ3 and PTW works fine for me (single player games). Maybe 1 crash a week at the most, with v1.29f (playing 40+ hours a week). USE AUTO-SAVE! And sometimes the sound would be off for awhile, but that is probably something with the sound card, not what version of windows I'm using. The box claims that PTW is compatible with ME.

For multiplayer, if you are using a 56k modem, you probably won't have much fun at all, because a 56k modem is very slow (this is what I have).

14. Mad Bomber

Mad Bomber Commander

You can't move your capital once your first componet is completed and if your capital is captured your spaceship is destroyed. So if Dran wants to relocate his capital he/she had better do it before the first componet is completed.

15. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

thanx MB, didn't know you couldn't move :blush: hate spaceships

16. hbdragon88

hbdragon88 haunted by blackness

I have been getting interested in writing articles for the war academy, is there a procedure that you gotta go through to get it published on the war academy page?

17. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

I think you just need to post it in the Strategy articles forum. If it receives alot of good remarks and is very helpful, Thunderfall will add it to the War Academy. That's what I did. Thunderfall just PM'd me and asked if it was Ok if my article got converted into a different format so it could go into the war Acadamy. I just said OK and he did all the work. It didn't get published immediately after I created the article (several months later), so just be patient.

18. sabreX

sabreX Chieftain

I had a quick question, In my current game France has been being a real bugger, they keep declaring war on me after I finaly get them to sign a peace treaty. So everytime they declare war I capture Orleans that has Newtons University, Orleans is like 17 big and i don't really want it, so I've been trying to sell Newtons University then sell Orleans back to the french but I can't seem to sell it, will I just have to keep it or should I just raze it next time france pulls their crap again?

19. sabreX

sabreX Chieftain

I had a quick question, In my current game France has been being a real bugger, they keep declaring war on me after I finaly get them to sign a peace treaty. So everytime they declare war I capture Orleans that has Newtons University, Orleans is like 17 big and i don't really want it, so I've been trying to sell Newtons University then sell Orleans back to the french but I can't seem to sell it, will I just have to keep it or should I just raze it next time france pulls their crap again?

20. sabreX

sabreX Chieftain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.