Newbie with many questions

a4phantom

Perma-newbie
Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and I really appreciate all the information. I have a few questions that I hope some of the experts can respond to. I am playing Civ3 PTW, I will buy Conquests this summer.

1. Why can't I build Forbidden Palace? I don't know if this is a glitch or what, but I am never offered the option to build the FP. This has happened playing both Chieftan level Japanese and Warlord level Arabs, and with empires of up to 150 cities. Has this been a problem for anyone else?

2. Can anyone tell me which units get bonuses against which other units, and how much? I can't find it in the game's documentation. For instance I've heard that pikemen reasonably enough get a bonus defending against horsemen and knights. Do they also get this bonus defending against Samurai and cavalry?

3. How do you successfully create new units? I wanted to create an mobile engineer, basically a worker with more movement points. I did so but the game crashes when I get the enabling technology.

Thanks a lot guys.

Originally posted by a4phantom
Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and I really appreciate all the information. I have a few questions that I hope some of the experts can respond to. I am playing Civ3 PTW, I will buy Conquests this summer.

First of all welcome to CFC, but you got this in the wrong forum, the Utility Programs section is for finished files....
But we all were once newbies...

1. Why can't I build Forbidden Palace? I don't know if this is a glitch or what, but I am never offered the option to build the FP. This has happened playing both Chieftan level Japanese and Warlord level Arabs, and with empires of up to 150 cities. Has this been a problem for anyone else?

Do you play a mod? Normally after you have build a few cities (8 on a standard map), you get the offer.
Did you check some more cities?
Because you are not allowed to build (Small/Great) Wonders in a city where you rushed something by chopping forests, disbanding units or rushing another project.

2. Can anyone tell me which units get bonuses against which other units, and how much? I can't find it in the game's documentation. For instance I've heard that pikemen reasonably enough get a bonus defending against horsemen and knights. Do they also get this bonus defending against Samurai and cavalry?

The only bonus you have is that fast units can retreat in a fight against slow units.
The other ones were just in CIV2 (and sadly can't be modded in)

3. How do you successfully create new units? I wanted to create an mobile engineer, basically a worker with more movement points. I did so but the game crashes when I get the enabling technology.

Take a look at this forum, http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=57
there are tutorials on how to use the editor etc.

Hope that helps.

Right, sorry guys. And thanks for answering the questions.

Top Bottom