[BTS] News: BOTM 164 Emperor Justinian starts 15November

AlanH and Deckhand, thanks for the Mac save! Playing already :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What are exactly "random personalities"? When I tried a test game on Mac, I got more like unrestricted leaders, eg Huayna of Khmer :confused: I thought random personalities would be e.g. Hyaena of Inca, but a warmonger. Or warmonger Gandhi, LOL, or Isabella not caring about your religion :crazyeye: Am I right?
It is like you expected. I realize now, I don't actually know what it does exactly.
For sure: Certainly, the civ personalities are not what they normally are. Personalities are rolled at game creation start afaik.
Don't know: are all stats (see Civ Illustrated) rerolled at start of game? or are leaders reassigned personalities of other leaders?
personality isn't in the world builder; I think personality is set when game is started, so all PC games would get same personality; but Mac saves would have different personality from the PC save. And maybe it even works differently on Mac per your test.

I'm glad events are on because I can think of this PC/Mac difference as an "event".
Something else I don't know is if any differences between Mac and PC Buffy events. (Buffy3 got rid of most egregious events, I'm not sure about Buffy5)

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-illustrated-1-know-your-enemy.478563/

I have not played with random personalities before, but I'm pretty sure that it's just a scramble of the personalities.
Such that you see Elizabeth, but behind that mask it's sitting bull. And sitting bull does everything that he usually do. So it becomes abit of a mini-game to figure out what the persons behind the masks are.
You can get some clues by how much +diplo you get from same religion, what their favourite civic are, how much units they are building... Or simply if they poison your water supply every 10 turns. >_<

Yes, it's not raging barbs on in this game. Settings are provided at the top of this post.
I do think barbs start with arch+hunt on emperor per default, so just a normal emperor game should be fine. (Correct me if I'm wrong someone!)

I think that's basically correct. Realistically, the only barb tech that makes any significant difference to gameplay is archery - because that changes whether barb archers appear or only warriors at first. And barbs should start with archery at monarch and above.

Knowing the barb techs is significant in GOTMs because of an annoying quirk (bug?) in civ where, if you load a game from WorldBuilder, the barb techs are always automatically lost. You have to put them back manually just prior to making the final save. And that's the kind of fiddly task that's very easy to forget when you're making a map (especially because you have to do it again every time you make any adjustments to the map). That's why in so many GOTM games you tend to see barbs appearing only as warriors at first, even on difficulty levels where they normally would have archery. ;-)

It's the same problem in the nobles club games, so I have gotten into the habit of doing it. I do forget from time to time though, and I find it very annoying.
I appreciate that you are going the extra mile and try to add it, but I would not hold it against anyone if they forget since it's easy.
I'm so glad and grateful that you are providing these maps, it was so fun to try out boreal! :)

Top Bottom