[BTS] News: BOTM 195 - Rome, Monarch - Starts 5 June

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 195: Julius Caesar of Rome.

This is a nostalgia game... You are going to replay one of my favourite old games - GOTM 22 from 13 years ago. The level is 'only' monarch but it's possibly one of the toughest monarch level games we've ever set - because you are permanently at war with no fewer than 8 AIs - all sharing your continent. Throw in raging barbarians as well, and you're going to have to use every ounce of military tactics you can think of to overcome the odds.

But I'm not completely heartless... Not very many people won the origianal GOTM, but I've given you a couple of goodies to help you survive (as well as converting the game from vanilla Civ to BtS). You start with your city pre-settled - and to help fogbust, your citizens pulled together in a supreme effort and built Stonehenge in it. Instead of a single warrior, you start with two longbows. Not only that, but the sight of stonehenge so inspired your citizens that one of them became a great scientist, and another became a great artist, both dedicated to serve you in whatever manner you think most suitable. You also by the way gained a turn compared to the original game because Rome has been built on what I believe is the best site in the starting area - a plains hill that in the original GOTM 22, people would have had to use a turn moving to.

This game is tough - but with the extra goodies I'm sure it's winnable. But you will have to use different strategies from normal. It'll also take longer to win - which is why you have TWO MONTHS to play it.

Game settings:
Playing as: Julius Caesar of Rome
Rivals: 8 AIs
Difficulty: Monarch
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Epic
Options: Raging barbarians, always war, no goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Pangaea
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Rocky
Sea level: Low
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Julius Caesar is Organized and Imperialistic, and you start with Fishing and Mining.
The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

The Imperialistic trait gives +100% great general emergence and +50% production of settlers
Unique unit: Praetorian (replaces Swordsman)
The Praetorian benefits from: base strength = 8, 0% city attack bonus, and 45 hammers to build (on normal speed). This compares with the Swordsman which has: base strength = 6, 10% city attack bonus, and 40 hammers to build (on normal speed).

Unique Building: Forum (replaces Market)
Besides the usual benefits of the market the forum gives +25% great person generation rate.

Starting screenshot
This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
You play on Prince level (but the AI still starts with monarch level starting units)

Challenger Class Equalizers:
Your citizens weren't so inspired by stonehenge. You start with just a single longbow - and no artist or scientist.

To Enter the Competition:
This competition will open at 00:01 am on 5 Jun 2020, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.
Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 3 Aug 2020.
Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions
Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.
Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...
Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.
We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Additional Rule

To preserve the integrity of this game, @AlanH and I have hidden all downloads and discussion threads relating to GOTM 22 until this game is over. You are not permitted to go searching the Internet to try to dig up any other information about GOTM 22 that we might have missed. We trust your honour here!

Guidance notes

I don't often do this, but because this game will play so differently from a typical game, here are some suggestions:

1. Do not leave Rome undefended. Usually you send your units exploring at the start of the game. And that's normally safe because barbs won't enter your borders right at the start of the game. But this time you start at war with the AI, and the AI civs have no such compunctions. If a wandering archer discovers your undefended capital, they will go in and take it. In GOTM 22 this lead to several people (including a certain @DynamicSpirit) suffering conquest losses within a few minutes of starting the game. Don't be the person who does that this time!
  2. You cannot win this war by sending all your units out in big stacks to capture one AI city after another - for the simple reason that there could be 8 AIs sending stacks after your cities at the same time! So think about your defences, not just attacking. You'll have a reasonable grace period at the start of the game when the AI is not yet developed enough to build stacks, but that grace period is likely to end well before 1AD - and then you could be seeing one stack after another headed your way. You may be able to extend your grace period a bit - at least for nearby AIs - by pillaging them more than you would normally do. Consider chopping forests and jungles next to your cities BEFORE the AI parks their stacks on them. Expect your improvements to be routinely pillaged and have enough workers to rebuild them. And be sensible with those longbows: Remember - sending your longbow into a fight with 95% odds still means there's a 5% chance that your longbow will lose and be gone forever (until you research feudalism).
  3. Oh - and, once the war really gets going - on each turn, make sure you know all the tiles where there are AI units. When you have 20 enemy units dotted around your empire, it's quite easy to miss one - and then discover you've lost a couple of workers to an AI unit you could've easily dealt with.

I've test-played this map a fair bit. And, as I said, this game is tough, but winnable if you are cunning and careful.

Exxxxxxxcellent. :) Thank you, DS! This looks like a blast.

Awesome! I think I switched from Civ 3 to Civ 4 around GOTM 35, so this is from over a year before that! ( The computer that I had when I first bought Civ 4 was grossly under powered for the task. I remember trying to run the tutorial and Sid appeared in "Cheshire Cat Mode"; I'd see a pair of lips moving, without any face to go with them! :lol: )

So, since we don't have to discuss where to settle our first city, I'll add one tip I learned from watching Lain's videos of alway war games: we automatically DOW on the AI as soon as we make contact, so this is one game when we want to be very conservative about scouting. Let the AI continue at peace as long as they don't find us. Maybe, if we're lucky, some of them might actually go to war with each other, before that mutual struggle bonus starting uniting them against us.

So, since we don't have to discuss where to settle our first city, I'll add one tip I learned from watching Lain's videos of alway war games: we automatically DOW on the AI as soon as we make contact, so this is one game when we want to be very conservative about scouting. Let the AI continue at peace as long as they don't find us. Maybe, if we're lucky, some of them might actually go to war with each other, before that mutual struggle bonus starting uniting them against us.

Thanks for the tip! Indeed, it is a weird feeling not wondering were to settle, that is what was normally discussed in a pre-game thread :crazyeye:

I have no experience playing "always war". So the AIs do not start at war with us, only declare at us when we meet? But other than that, they are a normal AI, or "always war" implies that they are also aggressive AIs and more likely to declare on each other? Does Always War has any impact on AIs building units, pursuing certain victory conditions, etc?

I have no experience playing "always war". So the AIs do not start at war with us, only declare at us when we meet? But other than that, they are a normal AI, or "always war" implies that they are also aggressive AIs and more likely to declare on each other? Does Always War has any impact on AIs building units, pursuing certain victory conditions, etc?

I don't have experience with this option, either, aside from what I've watched, which is why I think I'm going to practice some before Friday!

We declare war on the AI, when we meet. Aside from that, I think the AI act as they normally would in a war, they're not necessarily aggressive. Of course, we can never make peace with always war, which means we'll never be able to trade for resources or tech, while the AI are free to trade with each other.

One other thing worth discussing is what to do with our starting great people. I'm thinking of settling the great scientist; since this is likely to be a long game, the earlier he gets to work, the better. The artist might be saved for a golden age or a key tech, since extra culture from settling or culture bombing isn't likely to be of use. I don't like playing culture games anyway, and trying to play it peacefully is out of the question, here. Maybe if we can smash the AI just short of destruction, we'll have the freedom to pursue a slow (and therefore overlooked?) culture victory? :mischief:

more likely to declare on each other?
I don't have much experience (with this,) but I'm pretty sure they will 'have enough on their hands" with one war and won't declare on anyone else by choice But maybe there is a new secret to be discovered here and you can get 2 AI fighting.
Hmm...
How about a Holy War? Let's see.. that means anyone in the AP religion must DoW any heathen, so you have to convert some AI to your religion or build the AP in their religion.
That sounds kinda fun.

How about a Holy War? Let's see.. that means anyone in the AP religion must DoW any heathen, so you have to convert some AI to your religion or build the AP in their religion.
That sounds kinda fun.

I don't think they'll let you send in missionaries when you're at war. So you've got the option of capturing enough of their cities to get a majority vote in the AP, or let them capture one of your cities with the AP religion. The latter's probably easier to do, but if they choose to defy, they'll only get the unhappiness penalty in that one city. And even if you do succeed with this vote, they're still at war with you, too!

One thing to realize is that you have to self-tech everything (or use espionage) and there won't be foreign trade routes. Getting 1 or 2 islands somewhere would be nice to offset the latter. So tighter research with the burden of more unit upkeep.
Not being able to talk to AI also makes it harder to keep track of their development, like how many cities they have, which techs they have etc.

A nice tactic is to park forces at an AI city, knock down defenses to 1 unit and let the AI redirect its forces to reinforce that city, then hit again. This way you determine which battles are fought and how. That will solve issues with at least a couple of enemies, obviously not all (or maybe you're such an expert that you can…..)

This game is not only going to be hard because of AW and raging barbs. The land doesn't look too good either. Our capital is kinda mediocre with awkward AH food. Too poor for the GS to turn in academy. It does suit the Imp trait somewhat.

I think settling the artist is worth considering. It produces 3 gold if I'm correct besides the culture. Maybe settle in a second city to speed its border pop. Although with SH the need for that is unlikely. Waiting to start a GA is an eternity away. I don't see a use for a Theology bulb either (or what else, is Monarchy an option for HR)

On the good side war weariness in AW is set to build up so slowly, it is unlikely to become an issue, despite much more battles

A great challenging new game...…...

yeah, maybe that ^^ and Raging barbs calls for Great Wall -- which gives great spy.
Should be fun one way or another.

Yeah, looks like this war calls for an almost complete re-evalution of wonders (and techs). GLH will not be of that much use with no foreign TR, GW will such much less than it normally does especially in no barb case, etc

I even thought of culture-bombing a city with GA just for a cultural defense and a buffer-zone from the most problematic neighbor, but looks like it is better to wait and see how the game develops. GS either settling or maybe bulbing something crucial? research will be much harder :(

BTW, I wondered how missionaries work during war? is it possible to convert an AI city or they always get caught? During recent game, I forgot that you cannot capture a missionary and accidentally killed one - will it be able to convert one of my cities if I left him alone, even though I was at war with the civ that build him?

Espionage looks like an option since GW may be good here - but it is a pity it is impossible to get a TR discount, holy city/religious discount will also be tough ...

But on the bright side, if we somehow have time to found a religion, we can pick up whatever suits us, without weighting in not to pissing AIs :D Because there will be already as p*ssed off as osible, lol

BTW, do AI do not talk to us at all? or just do not agree to peace?

Once the waves of AIs start coming, this will be brutal.

GW is beneficial for double gpps inside our borders. Also to get a slight edge up on the AIs early on. And to prevent one AI from having that edge.

Any chance you can prevent the stacks from coming if the AI never finds you? (kill the scouts & wandering archers ASAP)
Wouldn't they need a target city? or just seeing our culture is enough?
Hmm. probably that won't stop them.

Any chance you can prevent the stacks from coming if the AI never finds you? (kill the scouts & wandering archers ASAP)
Wouldn't they need a target city? or just seeing our culture is enough?
Hmm. probably that won't stop them.

DS mentioned being killed by a wondering archer very early on - so looks like we cannot really prevent being discovered? I understand that once a scout or an archer "discovers us" an AI does not forget it, even if we kill the scouting unit?

Yeah, I guess key question is what makes an AI to actually attack? It is prolly very different mechanics than being a "land target" which leads to DoW. And lesser known ...

I understand that AIs can trade techs with each other?

EDIT: "all condition enabled" but seems impossible to win religious or diplomatic win? I mean, always was does not allow for vassals and there is no chance an AW AI will vote for us, right?

Last edited:
BTW, do AI do not talk to us at all? or just do not agree to peace?

They won't talk to you at all. The game simply won't open a diplomacy window with them. You can however (after alphabet) still see what techs they want/can research/etc. using your foreign advisor screen.

On a couple of my early test games I got a great mediator suddenly popping up and offering to negotiate peace with a particular AI. But I think (not quite certain) that can only happen if random events are on - and I switched them off for this game.

before that mutual struggle bonus starting uniting them against us.

Why does it matter if AIs like each other? Are they able to effective dog pile a human player? For tech trades, they are probably going to discover each other - and us- well before alphabet anyway, so likely to love each other for tech trading anyway. Resource trades between AIs are not a big concern?

They won't talk to you at all. The game simply won't open a diplomacy window with them. You can however (after alphabet) still see what techs they want/can research/etc. using your foreign advisor screen.

On a couple of my early test games I got a great mediator suddenly popping up and offering to negotiate peace with a particular AI. But I think (not quite certain) that can only happen if random events are on - and I switched them off for this game.

Thanks! and great mediator sounds really cool - never saw anything like that :eek::eek::eek:

EDIT: "all condition enabled" but seems impossible to win religious or diplomatic win? I mean, always was does not allow for vassals and there is no chance an AW AI will vote for us, right?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any way that you could get a religious or diplo win. But there are some pretty innovative players here who have achieved apparently impossible things before. (Just ask a certain @WastinTime about his conquest victory in an always-peace game (BOTM 66).

Somwhat ironically, in the original GOTM22 game, the gold medal actually went to a diplo win - but that was vanilla civ and the rules are a bit different there - in vanilla civ, with enough population, you can vote yourself to a diplo win even if noone else votes for you. That's not possible in BtS.

Top Bottom