[BTS] News: BOTM 230 - Ragnar, Prince (Starts 5 Feb)

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 230: Ragnar of Vikings.

I felt a bit mean because last time I gave you Ragnar but with a map that you couldn't really use boats much for. So I thought I'd rectify that this month. Have fun...

No challenger save this time (sorry, I didn't have time to build one and the game announcement is already a week late...).

Game settings:
Playing as: Ragnar of Vikings
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Prince
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Archipelago (tiny islands)
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Low
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Ragnar is Financial and Aggressive, and you start with Fishing and Hunting.

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

The Aggressive trait gives free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units and double production speed of Barracks and Drydock

Unique unit: Berserker (replaces Maceman)
True to the seafaring nature of the Vikings, the beserker starts with the amphibious promotion, which removes the combat penalty for attacking directly from a boat or across a river. It also has +10% city attack strength.

Unique Building: Trading Post (replaces Lighthouse)
The trading post gives a free navigation I promotion to water units built in its city. Very useful for exploring or for coastal invasions!

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 5 Feb 2022, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 7 Mar 2022.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

SIP and build the Moe's tavern.:beer: Or was it Moai's? Maybe not Moe's because this isn't the donut map with Homer Simpson. Mmm, donuts...:drool:
Nice to be able to play as :viking:Raggy since I was quickly convinced that Deity isn't my piece of a ball game. Or cake either.
I won't stay at Moe's :cheers: but will instead explore a bit first. I don't fancy Moe's in the capital and I'm too lazy to build a palace elsewhere.

Thanks for another chance to let the berserkers have some fun!

I'll almost certainly settle in place, but first I'll move the scout SE,SW. There might be some more seafood a couple square south of the hill, to justify moving the settler there.

It's been less than a hour until release for several hours already. All I get is
"Sorry, file is not available."
How many citizens would you lose if you rushed this?
EDIT: Save is available now. I hope you didn't lose many citizens.

Last edited:
Does anybody here know how I can use the BUFFY mod with my Civ IV that I got from GOG games? I got admin privileges, and changed the properties of the folders the game is stored in, but still can't get a HOF-valid game to run on here. Would really like to try out this Ragnar scenario - thanks!

Does anybody here know how I can use the BUFFY mod with my Civ IV that I got from GOG games? I got admin privileges, and changed the properties of the folders the game is stored in, but still can't get a HOF-valid game to run on here. Would really like to try out this Ragnar scenario - thanks!

First, make sure you complete steps 1 and 2 here ....though it sounds like you may be aware of it.

Also, my understanding is that the GOG version requires a registry fix. I will ping @Noble Zarkon here in hopes that he responds soon to help you out with the fix.

I got admin privileges, and changed the properties of the folders the game is stored in, but still can't get a HOF-valid game to run on here.
I'm not sure if my experience would help. Right click on BTS exe file and choose the option which has similar meaning to "admin gets full control".(I'm not using English version of windows.)

Top Bottom