News: BOTM 249 - Mansa Musa, Emperor - Starts February 15, 2023

MarleysGh0st

King
GOTM Staff

BOTM 249: Mansa Musa of Mali.

I was trying to think of a theme for this game. In the United States, February is Black History Month. So, in this game, you will be playing Mansa Musa, while the AI will also be playing African civilizations. (Yes, that narrows the list down a lot.) I thought about adding another African civilization featured in a recent, successful movie franchise, but there were all those lawyers with their copyright warnings. Besides that, I had no way to add vibranium as a game resource.

Game settings:
Playing as: Mansa Musa of Mali
Rivals: 4 AIs
Difficulty: Emperor
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled. Espionage Cultural Victories count as Cultural Victories.

Map settings:
Map: Oasis
World Wrap: None
Mapsize: Small
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Low
Map latitudes: 0°N to 40°N

Mansa Musa is Spiritual and Financial, and you start with The Wheel and Mining.

The Spiritual trait gives no anarchy and double production speed of Temple and Cristo Redentor

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

Unique unit: Skirmisher (replaces Archer)
The skirmisher is much stronger than the archer, with a base strength of 4. It also has 1-2 first strikes, against the archer's 1.

Unique Building: Mint (replaces Forge)
Besides the usual forge bonuses, the mint gives +10% commerce in its city - so it's like a mini-market too!

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
You play on Prince level, but the AI still have Emperor level starting units.

Challenger Class Equalizers:
You play on Deity level, but the AI still have Emperor level starting units.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 15 Feb 2023, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 15 Mar 2023.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

We already have two active games, one with an extended deadline and one that started a bit late, but this one is starting on time according to our standard schedule. I hope you enjoy it.

I regenerated the map many times before I found one that I liked. Even then, the Oasis script appears to be very resource-poor, so I had to add some resources for you. The rest of the map remains unedited. I'm afraid that includes the rather unhelpful positioning of the warrior. But you've all been crushing my games, so I'm sure you'll deal with it.

In Europe the February was a black month in the history as well, an orc horde attacked one year ago from now. They are still killing civilians while we debate whether some aid "escalates the conflict". If the orcs are using ballistic missiles to blow apartment buildings I guess the conflict has already escalated. Just give the defenders the weapons they need to purge the murdering, raping orc filth from their soil and to shoot down cowardly bombers launching cruise missiles on civilians.
there were all those lawyers with their copyright warnings
I would have thought they'd welcome additional fandom input? Anyway I think vibranium is close to aluminium (except that it on the contrary is very luminous) and maybe somewhat like uranium with the durability and other properties. And the game already has the black Panther as an animal unit. Throw in a bewitched Hulk and some Winter soldiers, helicarriers, Kamar-Taj, Mount Wundagore and some blue Mayans. Then it's time for Thanos to snap them out. But I think Wakanda is hidden behind their shield and stealth, content to observe our civilization without blowing their cover.

It would seem that we are cornered. Warrior goes NW and the settler probably stays put.
It might pay to study archery this time.

So if we want the pigs and the cow, we have to either settle on the dye, losing riverside plus a nice bit of commerce later in the game, or lose a turn by settling on the hill 1N. I'm thinking that losing the turn may be worth it as otherwise the capital has only one resource pre-calendar. And seeing as we know the rest of the nearby area is resource-poor (which is the norm in the Southern hemisphere for oasis maps), looking for another spot is probably not worth it.

Two AH resources, but that’s my main problem with Mansa Musa, the starting technologies. How long will it take to get to animal husbandry?

lose a turn by settling on the hill 1N
I think that's the obvious play, Mansa wants Hunting anyway for his Skirmishers (although less effective against other Civs on Emperor). Worker can mine two grass hills while you wait for AH maybe??

Top Bottom