[C3C] News: COTM 134 (Iroquois, Demigod) Results and Congratulations

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Ten unique players, six Dominations, two Conquests, one 20K Culture and a retirement.

Well done everyone.

Summary of Medal Winners:

Memento: 290 AD Domination Victory, 11,719 points.

supersova_SU: 630 AD Domination Victory, 10,888 points.

Lanzelot: 630 AD Conquest Victory, 10,880 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

jimmywfl: 1782 AD Domination Victory, 6,942 points.

CKS: 1820 AD Cultural 20k Victory, 4,151 points.

Other Award Winners:

greatbeyond: 1926 AD Conquest Victory, 3,466 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the QSC results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
>> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
>> Award symbols are listed here.

Last edited:
Hmmm. The system will not permit a duplicate entries from the same user name, but jimmywfl and jimmywalter are one and the same. Well spotted. I've deleted the jimmywalter entry and edited the first post.

Please do NOT submit using multiple user names.

Last edited:
What does, "Highest Winning Base Score" mean? There are people with higher scores, as well as higher Jason scores. And why a cow head?

Hmmm. The system will not permit a duplicate entries from the same user name, but jimmywfl and jimmywalter are one and the same. Well spotted. I've deleted the jimmywalter entry and edited the first post.

Please do NOT submit using multiple user names.
Sorry. I did not realize I had two user names. Will only use jimmywfl from now on

What does, "Highest Winning Base Score" mean? There are people with higher scores, as well as higher Jason scores. And why a cow head?
The base score is what you accumulate during the game from territory and content and happy citizens. Then there is a bonus whose size depends on how fast you win. This can be deducted from the Firaxis score to reveal the base score. The longer you play the game, the more turns, the higher the base score and lower the bonus. Playing longer is called milking the game, in analogy to the way we milk a cow without killing it. That's why the symbol for highest base score is bovine and why the highest base score is not the same as the highest score.

Sorry. I did not realize I had two user names. Will only use jimmywfl from now on
Yes, I'm a bit confused that you were able to submit a save as jimmywalter. As far as I can tell, that user name is not registered on the forums, which is one of the checks the system makes for each submission. I'll have to re-test that bit of the script when I have time.

The base score is what you accumulate during the game from territory and content and happy citizens. Then there is a bonus whose size depends on how fast you win. This can be deducted from the Firaxis score to reveal the base score. The longer you play the game, the more turns, the higher the base score and lower the bonus. Playing longer is called milking the game, in analogy to the way we milk a cow without killing it. That's why the symbol for highest base score is bovine and why the highest base score is not the same as the highest score.
Thank you for your reply and explanation.
However, I was not intentionally milking anything and a but confused. I played longer just to win, not increase my score.
Is the "Score" column the Firaxis score? Does my Firaxis score contain no bonus and the ones above me have a bonus added to come to their totals?
Again, thanks for your help.

I played longer just to win, not increase my score.

Sure, but the effect is the same.

Is the "Score" column the Firaxis score? Does my Firaxis score contain no bonus and the ones above me have a bonus added to come to their totals?

Yes it is and no it does too. Your (Firaxis) score is your (Firaxis) score, just as can be seen from within the game. It contains the victory bonus. But the scripts at CivFanatics have internally deducted the victory bonus (it can be calculated) from all scores and in ranking this, you won.

There are three scores associated with each submission.

The Base Score is calculated in game, and can be seen during the game. It accumulates with each turn, adding territory, population and other factors together. Because it accumulates with every turn, you can grow your Base Score just by playing to 2050 AD before you win the game. The player with the highest Base Score wins the Cow award.

The Firaxis Score is the one that the game displays at the end of the game. If you win, then a bonus is added to your Base Score to produce the Firaxis Score. The bonus is based on the difficulty level and your finish date. Since it is based on the Base Score plus a bonus, it can typically be maximised by "milking". The bonus for an early victory typically doesn't offset the benefits of playing to 2050 AD with a big empire.

A trillion years ago, even before my time, the originators of the Civ3 GOTM invented the Jason Score in response to complaints from players. A high Firaxis Score - and a Gold Medal - could be achieved just by getting close to the domination limits as soon as possible, and then "milking" the game to 2015 AD. This meant spending long hours hitting "Next Turn" on the slow computers of the early naughties to get to 2050AD before triggering a victory. It was felt that this took all the fun and skill out of playing for the high score Gold Medals.

The Jason Score* uses a different calculation to come up with a score for a game. It tries to equalise scores for games played with equal skill to different Victory Conditions, and to remove the benefits of playing ("milking") beyond the date when the victory can be triggered.

We still calculate the Jason Score for every submission, and that value used to assign the High Score medals and place the players in score order in the results tables.

There's a Jason Score calculator on the GOTM web server, and it gives a link to more details of the calculation method we use.

Players these days tend to focus more on the Victory Date, as that is a better indicator of the skill with which a game has been played. However, you cannot directly compare Victory Dates for games played to different victory conditions.

* The Jason Score was named after Jason of the Argonauts who was the son of Aeson. Aeson is the login name of the CFC staffer who developed the Jason Score, and who was my predecessor managing the GOTM web site.

Top Bottom