News: GOTM 20 Pre-Game Discussion

( and I think only the wheel is necessary for the Immortals ),
Wheel plus horses thus Animal Husbandry.

I can only manage Adventurer, and came late to this discussion, so I hope there are still a few experts who haven't started the game and can still comment.

With the extra starting units, I was thinking that in the west the scout should go 2SW and the archer NW to wind up on hills for max visibility. Is it reasonable to move the worker E-SE to another hill? Should be safe from barbs for a few turns (6?).

If I calculate correctly culture is +4/turn (+2 palace, +2 creative) so the first expansion is in 4 turns (on turn 5), so the worker can't work anything that isn't adjacent to the starting location until then. Settle in place would therefore mean start farming the corn soon; 1NW would mean start on the gold right away? I went for early gold on my abortive attempt at GOTM19 for maximizing early tech (at the cost of city growth) specifically because of wanting AH fast, but it looks here as though the better approach is to farm and build up population.

With two archers and a worker already, and since it seems early warmongering is essential, would building a barracks first make the most sense? or start on settler? or wait on the settler until Bronze for chopping?

People mentioned whipping, which I've never figured out how to use; is there a link to something that explains when to use this? I'm guessing you need to wait until you only lose 1 pop. With this setup I imagine you'd farm the corn and whatever floodplain is in reach to rebuild pop fast?

With two archers and a worker already, and since it seems early warmongering is essential, would building a barracks first make the most sense? or start on settler? or wait on the settler until Bronze for chopping?

People mentioned whipping, which I've never figured out how to use; is there a link to something that explains when to use this? I'm guessing you need to wait until you only lose 1 pop. With this setup I imagine you'd farm the corn and whatever floodplain is in reach to rebuild pop fast?

Hrmmm, ok. I myself will use the first turns to work on a barracks, then when you hit size 2, i'd consider switching to settler. DO NOT research for bronze first. Immortals are better archer killers, research animal husbandry first, then bronze. one chop from your trusty worker after you recieve bronze will finish off your settler and perhaps add a little to that half done barracks you were working on (which i'm guessing you will do more on until you get your horses connected (main priority for worker).

Whipping? is useful plan with this start, mind you it will cause unhappyness which will hit you eventually, i wouldnt bother whipping in a city that pumps out an immortal in 4 turns anyhow, it will just slow economy and i believe keeping up in tech will be a big test for people to be able to work out what to do after the destroy their first enemy.

Once you get Bronze Working you will be offered the slavery civic. If you change to this civic it allows you to sacrafice population for hurry'd production. you do that within your city, the buttons just to the right of the bulid options. (city advisor options).

hope that helps ya some, i'll be playing adventure class aswell hehe, shall be fun.

"The save file you have selected is protected to assure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed" *crash* <== anyone else got this problem? whats the go???

"The save file you have selected is protected to assure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed" *crash* <== anyone else got this problem? whats the go???

This isn't the place to post after you have downloaded the save. PM the GOTM staff if you have problems.

Will they build infrastructure, or will they just continue to build best available units?
Probably units while at war, but if you make peace, I wonder if the AI reverts to infrasturcture at some point. Since you are waiting for couthouses in this context, an stretch of peace might be part of the plan anyway.

Can't say I've tried it ... it just came to mind as a possibility as I read Lehm's post.

dV

Plus, leaving weak surivivors may be necessary to keep a trading partner,

I'm not sure that would work. Why are the survivors 'weak'? If it's because you declared war on them, then they probably won't be interested in trading you any techs (other than a few easy-going leaders like Hatty). If you haven't declared war on them, then they're unlikely to be weak on immortal level :)

as I recall if you are the only civ an AI knows, they won't trade with you? or is it ever knew (living or dead)? :confused: (help me out here, guys!)
dV

Pretty much, although some of them will if they are friendly to you.

I'm not sure that would work. Why are the survivors 'weak'? If it's because you declared war on them, then they probably won't be interested in trading you any techs (other than a few easy-going leaders like Hatty). If you haven't declared war on them, then they're unlikely to be weak on immortal level :)
Thought was if you are on a small continent with three other civs, rather than kill them off, weaken two, but keep them alive IF that helps with being able to trade with the third one, so you don't fall behind civs on another continent. But the monopoly tech issue may make that moot.

dV

The point isn't to trade with the weak ones. The point is that if the weak AIs do get a tech, then the stronger AIs will be more willing to trade it to you.

Wow! I figured everyone would be playing by now. I am trying to finish my first WOTM game before I start here. Good luck to everyone in GOTM 20.

Adama

Same...I'm not starting this one until I get WOTM10 finished up.
Yeah, me too. I thought WOTM1O would be a quick one since it was such a small map.

HAH!

I must be closing in on a thousand kills pretty soon ... :mwaha:

damn, i'm probably going to get my assed kicked, but I'll try anyway :crazyeye:

Yeah, me too [waiting til I finish WOTM10]. I thought WOTM1O would be a quick one since it was such a small map.

HAH!

I must be closing in on a thousand kills pretty soon ... :mwaha:
Well I'm finished w/ WOTM10, but exhausted, not excited about starting a new game any more. Turned out I exaggerated -- only killed 875 enemy units in WOTM10 (give or take a half dozen). Mostly my own fault it was so grueling; made a couple huge blunders which took me many dozens of turns to recover from.

But still kinda lost enthusiasm for Civ for the moment. GOTM20 sounds like a good one, but with only 18 days til BTS, think I'll just take a pass; know I won't wanna be playing vanilla at all after that! Look forward to reading accounts of you all though!

p.s. I'm increasingly excited about BTS. In current civ I love the first 4-5 thousand years, but usually get bored somewhere in the last thousand (I know that's irrelevant for those who never have to play past 1300 anyway, but for a mere mortal such as me it can be a grueling marathon). If BTS can reinvigorate the late game as much as it promises, it'll be exactly what the doctor ordered! I hope it's been well play-tested so it won't take too long to work into the GOTM schedule ...

There is a two-food difference between settling in place and settling 1N. This translates to hammers for settlers and/or hammers from whipping. The forested hill (if one settles 1N) will turn into 1 cpt when chopped (turn 40-45?)

The ten turn unhappiness from whipping will cost 20 hammers (if forested plain is no longer worked). Still, whipping from 6 to 4 for barracks looks attractive although I don't think any hammers are actually gained (just quicker output which is the real gain).

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that there are horses within one of the visible tiles seen now.

Perhaps a "too newby" question....

Assuming the horses are close, if they are not in the immediate (when settled) "cross", they could be in the "fat cross" of the first expansion. In either case, we must research AH to make a pasture & that is certainly going to take longer than the first expansion. Or have I misssed something??

How well do immortals do against archers??

Top Bottom