News: WOTM28 - Starts 27 February

Tile NW-N looks to be coastal on East side so settling NW should maximise usable sea tiles and minimize useless ocean tiles to East. Also more hills possible north. triremes will be a must after determining island size. Will rethink if warrior South finds more resource.

So, it's been a LONG time since I played GOTM here, I quit playing when Civ 4 came out because my computer couldn't handle it. I finally got one that could, but never really got back into it until very recently. I've played a couple vanilla games, and tried out GOTM51 to get back on my feet (though I can't submit).

To make a long story short (too late) I just bought Civ 4 complete and I want to know whats the best way to get set up to play all the versions? I already have Civ 4 vanilla patched and the bts dll in place and the hof mod installed. Do I just install and patch warlords and bts and download their hof mods? The vanilla version I have is the limited edition one on cd. Complete appears to be a dvd. Should I uninstall my current vanilla version and just reinstall everything from the complete dvd? Any help would be appreciated.

I've never played warlords or bts, and there's a ton of info out there. Is there somewhere with a condensed version of the differences from vanilla, maybe with the most important ones highlighted?

Thanks in advance for any help and I look forward to getting back into the games! :)

Xevious

So, it's been a LONG time since I played GOTM here, I quit playing when Civ 4 came out because my computer couldn't handle it. I finally got one that could, but never really got back into it until very recently. I've played a couple vanilla games, and tried out GOTM51 to get back on my feet (though I can't submit).
Welcome back. Nice to see you ready to play again! :wavey:

To make a long story short (too late) I just bought Civ 4 complete and I want to know whats the best way to get set up to play all the versions? I already have Civ 4 vanilla patched and the bts dll in place and the hof mod installed. Do I just install and patch warlords and bts and download their hof mods? The vanilla version I have is the limited edition one on cd. Complete appears to be a dvd. Should I uninstall my current vanilla version and just reinstall everything from the complete dvd? Any help would be appreciated.
I recently installed Civ4 Complete. Unless you want dual installs, I would uninstall vanilla and then install complete.

I can't remember what versions come on complete. Once installed, I would make sure Vanilla is patched to ver. 1.74, Warlords to version 2.13 and then patch :bts: to 3.19. With all the patches applied, you should have all the right .dll's and then only need the HoF mods.

Patches are best downloaded here. In game patching is dicey and can mess things up. Applying the downloads from CFC is much more reliable.

With HoF Mods, Windows Vista or 7 fixes can be found here.

I've never played warlords or bts, and there's a ton of info out there. Is there somewhere with a condensed version of the differences from vanilla, maybe with the most important ones highlighted?
I think the best quick info can be found in CFC's Info sections.
Warlords is here.
BTS is here.

Hope this helps get you started
Welcome back and good luck in your games.

Can someone remind me how monument obsolescence works for charismatic civs. Am I correct in vaguely recalling that once you discover calendar, any existing monuments continue to provide +1 culture/turn but no longer provide the +1 happy citizen?
I believe you are correct, as long as you built the Monument yourself. Free monuments from Stonehenge just evaporate with the discovery of Calendar.

I'm confused. I have a Warlords folder in my Civ 4 folder. I don't own Warlords....can I play this? I don't see an .exe, and don't see a way to load it in vanilla or BTS. I'm thinking I remember you need Warlords to play Warlords, but want to be sure. Otherwise, what's my Warlords folder for, though?

I'm confused. I have a Warlords folder in my Civ 4 folder. I don't own Warlords....can I play this? I don't see an .exe, and don't see a way to load it in vanilla or BTS. I'm thinking I remember you need Warlords to play Warlords, but want to be sure. Otherwise, what's my Warlords folder for, though?
Sorry, you must have the Warlords expansion to play this game.

As to why you have a Warlords folder, not sure. My guess is that :bts: version 3.19 also upgrades Vanilla and Warlords and this patch may have placed the folder there? :crazyeye:

EDIT - That is if you have :bts:? :hmm:

Top Bottom