Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
Please choose one of these settlement locations for our next town.

[edit]
A vote for site 3 will result in a follow-on poll to determine exactly which tile at site 3.
[/edit]

Site 1, nearby dyes (proposed by Cyc). This is spot 2 on this map.

Site 2, near wines and in the general direction of the only known iron (proposed by DaveShack). This is the blue dot on this map.

Site 3, near the only known source of iron (proposed by Chieftess).

This poll will remain open until the next turnchat, around 40 hours if calculations are correct.

Related discussion.

So which "near the iron" location does that option give us? Are we talking red, yellow or green tiles? Looks like there's 13 tiles to choosw from.

Site 3 is too far away anyway, Cyc. ;)

Actually, I really want to see if there are more Flood Plains in the unexplored NW. But from these choices, I would have to go with Site 2.

1. It gets us closer to the Iron.

2. Site 1 is too much of a Barb risk(immediate east) at present.

3. Better opportunity for growth, and we get a luxury either way. :)

Fortunately, the city rank doesn't play a factor in vanilla, so we can do a bit of an "outside-in" build. Iron first, then the wines, then perhaps worry about our interior (with a TIGHT build in the jungle <-- Apolyton's key to success. ;)).

As others have said, iron appears to be scarce, and we're gonna need it to survive the Ancient age - site 3. Thus, my vote for 3.

Having said that, I strongly hope that either of the other two sites get settled soon and the luxuries hooked up. Without them, the unhappiness will slow down research or require extra troops to manage. True, neither are simple to hook up, but we need 'em.

Not to mention - what are the French without wines! Go East young Settlers! Go East!

-- Ravensfire

Site 3 makes the most sense; we're going to need iron to do well in the Ancient age as well as the Middle Ages.

Site 3. And we should build walls, temple (to avoid flipping because we are a long way from home), and barracks. At first growth to size 6 (wltkd) gets priority, afterwards switch to shield production.

PS: Once (if?) we have a settler pump running in DR, I would strongly advise to settle SW at the coast/river tile (getting the whale). Starting with only a settler/warrior pair, it will become a GREAT self-sustained city by alternating production of warriors and workers. Because of the closeness to DR, production and population will skyrocket once the jungle is cleared.

IMHO this would be much better than the site labeled 2.

And it will build a harbor for trade and ships going west.

PPS: IMHO it was a great error not to found Vo Mimbre one tile SW to include the cattle!

Originally posted by Cyc
So which "near the iron" location does that option give us? Are we talking red, yellow or green tiles? Looks like there's 13 tiles to choosw from.

I would also like to know the answer to this question.

Originally posted by tao
Site 3. And we should build walls, temple (to avoid flipping because we are a long way from home), and barracks. At first growth to size 6 (wltkd) gets priority, afterwards switch to shield production.

Temple - No, not yet. It's nowhere close to any AI cities. In time, yes, we'll give it some culture, but we need to concentrate on the expansion first.

Walls - No. We're not at war either. Plus, if we build it right, it'll be next to fresh water, and become a size 7+ city.

Top Bottom