No 1UPT

I don't really find 1 UPT tedious - at worst it is annoying when there are too many natural barriers on the map.

And I would find it far less immersive to not have any tactical say in the battle - it would be like playing Total War and always clicking "auto resolve".

Sorry brah but 1UPT is objectively bad for a game of this scale, for reasons better than me have already dissected. That 1UPT was a bad idea is a foregone conclusion, and I can't believe anyone would argue to the contrary. Every defense I've ever heard for 1UPT was based on things that are flawed or downright stupid.

Also, if you think Civ4 is about stacks of doom, then you don't understand strategic warfare. I like to have multiple stacks running, in MP and in SP. The reason is simple, one stack can only be in one place at a time, and if the big SoD's location is known, a smaller stack(s) can be used for capturing cities or pillage beyond the SoD's reach. That doesn't get into stack killers.
The original AI for Civilization IV tried to do this and pillage improvements, but it wasn't very good at it. Better AI eventually told the computer to just build one big stack because that's what the AI handle.

Civ 5 MP on the other hand is just clickfest, ranged unit spam, and carpet of doom. There's no strategic element or tactical element, beyond "build carpet of doom, spam ranged units and a few blockers / mounted". It's not fun to play a game where ranged units have such overpowering, risk-free damage, and even more absurd considering that it's in ancient/classical era.
SP and sequential turns are much the same.
Unfortunately, the MP game in Civ5 has degenerated so much that supposed pros whine and cry about a player getting to move all of their units before they move - i.e., how most turn-based strategy games function. How anyone can want to play the degenerated mess that is Civ5 MP is beyond me. That the game is unstable is just another kick in the teeth.

Unifying large stacks into single armies that must fight together is a good solution. Part of the problem with SoD is that Civ uses strictly one unit at a time when resolving combat, which leads to all sorts of annoyances.

Sorry brah but 1UPT is objectively bad for a game of this scale, for reasons better than me have already dissected. That 1UPT was a bad idea is a foregone conclusion, and I can't believe anyone would argue to the contrary. Every defense I've ever heard for 1UPT was based on things that are flawed or downright stupid.
You still haven't (ever) explained why. You just keep repeating this like it's a valid argument.

No dice, sorry.

I don't need to make an argument, I already have explained why it is terrible and don't care for people derailing a thread to fix what is an obvious problem to the GUY WHO DESIGNED THE DAMN GAME. Only in the echo chambers of the internet do people defend this silly mechanic and others like it (usually the same people who complain about sequential turns in multiplayer, and think the poor man's RTS is actually a playable game design - people who really don't understand or care about strategy and want to defend their clickfest nonsense).
Besides, I deconstructed a major reason why the stacks of doom thing isn't really a thing, if playing the game with optimal strategy players don't want to concentrate their stacks in one place unless they need that much firepower to deal with another army.

So after repeating myself over and over about why 1UPT is terrible, you still say I'm not "explaining why"? Screw that.

Play enough MP matches and anyone will understand why 1UPT is so bad, if SP and the AI's incompetence at warring isn't enough of an indicator. If you can seriously consider Civ5 or BE's multiplayer playable (never mind the game's frequent bugs and crashes in MP) then I don't know what to say except dear lordy.

So far the only arguments in favor of 1UPT have amounted to "you are stupid and i smarter than you", "stacks of doom" (which is a very bad way to play Civ4 against a competent opponent and suboptimal against the AI unless necessary), and "the tactics!" (what, the tactics of spamming ridiculous ranged units and setting up a carpet of doom? there aren't much tactics in Civ5 except to brute force everything, except now you have to contend with the annoyance of ranged combat and micromanage a lot more units to get there).

Other games that use 1UPT usually work on a far smaller scale (both in time and space), don't use randomly generated maps that are too small for the task, and usually use 1UPT out of necessity rather than as a feature.

You haven't said why it's terrrible.

You just keep saying that it is. With insults thrown into the mix.

I gave my first post a fair shot. I explained the weaknesses of both and investigated ways to explore this. You completely ignored it in favour of that statement you repeat all the time. Peace out.

I don't need to make an argument, I already have explained why it is terrible and don't care for people derailing a thread to fix what is an obvious problem to the GUY WHO DESIGNED THE DAMN GAME.
Moderator Action: Yes, you do need to make an argument. If you really want to discuss this, then put forth something. If you have already done so, then link to it so others understand what your position is. This is not sufficient.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Besides, I deconstructed a major reason why the stacks of doom thing isn't really a thing, if playing the game with optimal strategy players don't want to concentrate their stacks in one place unless they need that much firepower to deal with another army.
Moderator Action: Again, link to it so people can read it. We cannot see inside your head to understand what you are trying to talk about.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

So after repeating myself over and over about why 1UPT is terrible, you still say I'm not "explaining why"? Screw that.
Moderator Action: Not everyone has read everything you have written. IN a new thread, you need to help people understand what is going on. Don't rewrite, link or copy/paste. Saying you do not need to help them understand is unacceptable.

What part of this do you not understand?

"stacks of doom" (which is a very bad way to play Civ4 against a competent opponent and suboptimal against the AI unless necessary), and "the tactics!" (what, the tactics of spamming ridiculous ranged units and setting up a carpet of doom? there aren't much tactics in Civ5 except to brute force everything, except now you have to contend with the annoyance of ranged combat and micromanage a lot more units to get there).

That is a short summary of what 1UPT directly leads to with Civ5's city and empire management.

I've explained why 1UPT is bad over and over again, if you refuse to understand and respond to those in a reasonable manner and just call me stupid over and over again (which has been the entire argument basically), then there is no point in wasting time and energy re-writing, nor is there really a point in linking Shafer's autopsy of his own project which I presume most people here have read.

But hey, enjoy overpowered chariot archers and cbows making early war super super annoying. That this flaw was made worse in BNW just shows that Firaxis has lost touch with what makes a game strategically interesting. Obviously they want to save face and make the game into something more viable, but it's tough to backpedal on something structurally wrong with the game (and 1UPT is just part of it).

It never ceases to amaze me how many people tolerate bad game design that shouldn't be too hard to fix, because everyone who doesn't play Civ as their primary game that I've talked to thinks 1UPT sucks - in fact it's their PRIMARY gripe with Civilization V, the rest of the game's flaws could be patched over by the community but it's difficult to re-write core mechanics and AI to adapt to MUPT.

You can't really pick Civ4's as the sole example of why MUPT is bad, other games have implemented the SoD differently. I would prefer Civ1 and Civ2's mechanic of killing all units after the first defender is routed over what happens in Civ5, or Alpha Centauri's heavy collateral damage for routing a unit and AC's implementation of artillery. Besides, most of Civ4's problems come from stack killers and flank damage being really strong, city defenses being way too weak and trivialized by siege, and city raider turning cities into death traps. I already mentioned that building one giant SoD is a very suboptimal way to play against a human opponent for logistical reasons, but you do have to build stacks of substantial size and allocate troops efficiently. Another problem with Civ4 stacks (which exists in Civ5's carpet of doom too) is unit healing trivializing attrition as a means to damage stacks, and unit promos being generally too strong. I honestly think it would have been better to revert to Civ1/2's system of just having Veteran troops, or like AC and BE have multiple tiers of veterancy only. For healing, the best way to do that would be to only allow healing by re-supplying units, which means keeping a supply line intact. Whether to require manually moving units to the army, or have some means to abstract the supply line to something which doesn't require player book-keeping, is up to whoever designs the system.

Until then, I and many others find 1UPT terrible. Most people take one look at Civ5, dismiss it as awful, and sigh that a once-good series has been dumbed down to this. I'd rather have a Civ game that incorporates what Civ5 did right with hexes, patches over the fill-the-buckets nature of the game's economy, but most importantly makes it so war is not lame.

Really though, I think Civ5 was designed around the same principles of freemium online games - just use lots of flashing success messages to make the player feel like they're accomplishing something, encourage people to buy into DLC and exapnsions, and keep people addicted. Plenty of online games do something similar.

Until then, I and many others find 1UPT terrible. Most people take one look at Civ5, dismiss it as awful, and sigh that a once-good series has been dumbed down to this.
If's funny how you repeat so much stuff over and over again just to convince yourself that you're right, but the reality is still the same: Civ 5 has tons of players. Tons of people were interested in Beyond Earth. Whenever 1UPT is brought up in a discussion, most people say that it's not perfect but the best system Civ games has had so far and that it can be improved upon. Most people seem to enjoy 1UPT and you're still in the minority, no matter how often you repeat the mantra that you're not.

And from previous conversations I know that your next response is going to something like: "Yeah, ok, but most people don't know what makes a good game!!!" - okay, then maybe find a company that caters to your kind of Ubermensch and not to us peasants.

About the rest of your post: There's once again not a single explanation for why 1UPT is "bad" design as tactical combat. The one thing that comes close to being an explanation is " enjoy overpowered chariot archers and cbows making early war super super annoying" - but people have already gone through that as well: That's not a problem with 1UPT, that's a problem with units not being balanced properly. And if you just dislike the tactical combat - which will of course always include some micro-management - then yeah, Civ 5+ just isn't for you. People enjoy it - if you don't, then you should find a game series that caters to you, because Tactical Combat in one way or the other is going to stay for sure.

For the last time: there are no tactics to spamming ranged units and a few blockers, just tedious micromanagement and being able to click faster in MP. Saying combat in Civ5 is tactical is like saying Civ4 is tactical because spamming catapults for collateral damage is OP, it's absurd - and it's true, if anything collateral in Civ4 is too strong and cheesy. That is more annoying than SoD by itself, but it is prompted by Civ4's unit-vs-unit combat.

Civ5 combat is NOT TACTICAL, it is stupid and illogical, and the same extends to BE. In fact, because unit stacking is disallowed, players are not allowed to configure the kind of stacks they'd want to field in order to be effective, and are forced into building a few types of units if they want to play optimally; nor is maneuvering your units really possible.

The only arguments I've ever read consisted of calling me stupid, and that Civ5 has lots of players (god knows why, but I'm sure that it's less than Civ1-4 had in their heyday, because none of those games had things as stupidly broken as Civ5's ranged units). Echo chamber effect is strong, and lots of people will buy Civilization just because it's Civilization, and don't care about playing Civ as a war game (which honestly is not what Civilization is, it's an empire building game).

I'd rather have stacks or armies to simplify combat and focus on empire-management. That to me is the biggest gripe with Civ5, dealing with the crap caused by 1UPT and broken ranged units basically means not having time to manage your empire in MP, and turns take a lot longer than they have to. Then again, Civ5 and BE's empire management is pretty sad too, due to the lack of tradeoffs and everything being positive bonuses, another design flaw Shafer pointed out; but that is something that could be fixed a lot easier and taught to the AI with less difficulty.

Then again, the way Civ community acts now is that they only want to play one way, and winning is just a matter of finding the optimal bucket-filling formula. It shows then that in BE there is only a small set of preferred startup options, virtue/tech paths (even with presumably free reign, BE players are roped into particular paths due to the playstyle inherited from Civ5), and settling patterns. If that is considered good game design, it just isn't. You can like it or not, but it's bad game design and it does turn people off of playing the game - and it's not just hardcore players turned off, but casuals who don't play much take a look at Civ5 and dismiss it as boring and too predictable, and would rather play earlier Civs.

You say the same things so many times with so many walls of text.

As it has been said countless times, ranged unit spam is a consequence of bad unit balance, not 1UPT.

(And ranged units are generally much more vulnerable in BE than 5.)

Though I'm pretty sure I've already recommended it to you, you should try the Combat Balance Mod, which greatly lowers ranged unit combat strength in Civ 5.

While the tactical aspect is there and appreciated in 5 and BE, saying that it eclipses empire management is laughable.

On the off-topic of negative bonuses you brought up they can be good in some situations, but generally it is better to use opportunity costs between bonuses.

Especially in a game like Civ where the heart and soul of the experience is seeing one's empire grow.

There is absolutely no reason to justify you apparent view that negative effects tied to positive ones inherently makes a game better.

You then segue into complaining about general balance, which has nothing to do with 1UPT.

Most people agree that there should be rebalancing and overhauls to fix those issues, though.

I must stress again that it is completely off-topic, though.

So if everyone disagrees with you it's an echo chamber to be dismissed?

Under what circumstances would you consider another's opinion?

One idea I have always in mind when it comes to avoid 1UPT while preventing stacks of doom is exponential upkeep with units x tile.
That is, a small number of units (3?, 5?) has standard upkeep, but then, as you increase the unit count, you would be factoring it up (e.g. let's say *1,1 for 6 units, *1,2 for 7 units... *2 for 15... ).

I'm not sure if this makes really sense, as logistics should probably benefit of not having a spread out army... but on the other hand, I'm sure inefficiencies would appear in congested armies.

Nevertheless, once used to it, I'm fine with 1UPT system... if as rykia said the map "resolution" could be increased, it could work nicely... (it would also tie with an idea of mine of implementing city neibourghoods or satellite towns that could be interesting...)

ranged units were necessitated by Civ5's 1UPT restriction, and there is no way to balance ranged units within the 1UPT framework - the concept of units that can inflict risk-free damage is something that ought to be avoided, especially in ancient/classical era warfare (much worse since muskets and rifles can't strike at range for some odd reason).

have you seen how idiotic MP matches are? how many times did mouthbreathers tell me to automate my workers and scouts? the time spent stalling in MP due to simultaneous turns is ludicrous - it's made much worse by ranged units and the advantage for players that set up to click the buttons as fast as possible. stuff like that cuts into actually playing the game as anything other than a really bad RTS.

even with sequential turns though, 1UPT and ranged units are terrible for the game, and armies are still mostly ranged. no-risk damage is too strong not to use. this is an issue inherent to ranged combat. if archers suffered damage at range as air units do, it wouldn't be as broken, but it would still be a clickfest / ranged unit spam for the win.

i'll keep saying it - bad game design breeds bad behavior, and it's on full display here.
i stopped playing and am happy not to bother any more with a broken game, but i will always say that civ5 is a badly designed game that caters mostly to players' addiction impulses more than making a compelling game. where others get off saying i'm arrogant is ludicrous given the bullying behavior on display any time the subject comes up, because people want to defend bad game design that much.
what is sad is that a potentially decent game gets screwed up by bad design decisions. the backlash against BE from the gaming community, in my view, is what most people REALLY think about Civilization V, but most people who thought CiV was crap have said their piece and left. those who bought BE were hoping Firaxis would learn that 1upt is terrible, and when i first learned that they kept 1upt for BE i knew the game was going to get reamed hard.

The only way to balance ranged units is to remove them completely, and revert to a reasonable unit-stacking system that allows players to actually build armies. If you can't see how 1UPT led to most of the problems with ranged units, I don't know what else to tell you, it's self-evident and it's stupid that a thread for potential solutions gets derailed by nonsense. I don't know if it's shills from Firaxis, or people who bought into a bad game and feel the need to justify their playing.

You really, really need to learn how to take criticism and argue logically.

ranged units were necessitated by Civ5's 1UPT restriction, and there is no way to balance ranged units within the 1UPT framework - the concept of units that can inflict risk-free damage is something that ought to be avoided, especially in ancient/classical era warfare (much worse since muskets and rifles can't strike at range for some odd reason).
This is once again just a blanket assertion and not an actual argument. And it's easy to refute, too: Imagine Ranged Units did 1 exactly damage per shot. Would they still be op? No? Well, there you go, you just admitted that ranged units are not "broken by design" in a 1UPT-environment and that there must be a balanced position for them, somewhere between 1 dmg per Shot and what they're doing now.

And actually, I also want to help you get the basics of how to form an argument, because you really yon't seem to understand what you're doing wrong - so I used google to find some good sources and plenty of material to work with - here's an easy one for some very basic knowledge:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Logical-Argument
Glad I could help.

Anyone who disagrees with me on this has based their arguments on no logic, and invented a tactical reason for 1UPT that doesn't really exist. 1UPT actually stifles tactics, if you've played enough MP games in sequential turns it's clear that ranged units are way too strong, and it's the mere fact that they strike risk-free and a team of archers can spam more hits due to geography than just about any other units. It's so broken that xbows are used well into industrial era for some games - that should tell you what a bad idea it is to have 2-range archers. If archer range was reduced to 1 they would be less broken, and that seems to work just fine for gatling guns.
In simultaneous turns, ranged units are so broken that armies are basically carpets of cbows, a few melee blockers maybe, and mounted/scout to cap cities; woe to anyone who doesn't set up to play a bad RTS.

If no one can see how bad this is, then there is really no logic to be had. It's so bad it should be beyond obvious, and it's shameful because BE could be a better project once they get past this 1upt badness. You can have your opinion about it, but having the opinion that the silly way combat works in Civ5 is good is so baffling I can't begin to understand it.

Personal insults and trolling are pretty common tactics to manufacture consent. Sad what this series and what gaming has come to. Wish this stupidity didn't infect the internet so much.

It's funny though, in vanilla civ5 archers would often do minimal damage per shot and they were broken - it just so happened that minimum damage was 10%. But, for the era where archers/cbows/xbows are active, they're doing about 10-20pt damage against equal tier units, little less with cover and fortification/terrain/gg/discipline. Up until around Rifles this will still be the case, and even against rifles cbow spam is still strong.
Making ranged units utterly worthless is not a counter-argument, that is in effect removing ranged units as a viable option.

More of an issue is the effect 3 range of archers w/o roads and 5 range of chariot archers w/o roads. That sort of thing is what really breaks ranged combat. This is not a thing that can be patched over by nerfing ranged combat with numbers, it's a structural problem. Either ranged units are strong enough to make use of their game-breaking range, or they're so weak that they may as well not exist. The middle ground might exist if archers had to set up to fire like siege units, but that's still a hack solution to a fundamentally unfun system.
There is no fix for how broken chariot archers are, and camels/keshiks just break the game wide open.

Bring back stacking or re-think how military units are organized at all, and these things aren't problems.

Moderator Action: This thread is headed for closure. The lack of civility is bad enough, the gulf between the two points of view is so rooted in place an earthquake could not move anyone. Last chance to make your points without calling others any names or labeling other positions in negative terms.

Nevertheless, once used to it, I'm fine with 1UPT system... if as rykia said the map "resolution" could be increased, it could work nicely... (it would also tie with an idea of mine of implementing city neibourghoods or satellite towns that could be interesting...)

I'm out of my element when it comes to talks about this but I had this thought of increased "resolution" as well. When I hear people talking about empire building, tile management, and unit control. The recurring thought that kept popping up was scope. And increasing the number of tiles that are on the board changes the scope. It alters the balance of rate of movement and range; which in conjunction with a new balance for combat strength might help fix some of the problems discussed.

As mentioned earlier, there are no fundamental problems with 1UPT and unit design in CiV and onwards that aren't also present in varying degrees in earlier games.

The Basics

1UPT is a design decision that allows the designers to craft army design and city strength on a more limited set of variables. This allows for greater individuality at the cost of immersion r.e. perceived army size.

MUPT is a design decision that allows the designers to maximise immersion as well as factor in basic elements of grand strategy especially for longer games, or games with a long turn length. Additionally it was a realistic compromise given the square tile mechanic present in the Civilisation series up to and including Civ IV (and SMAC).

Hex-Based Factors

By opening up tile design to include hexes (of note, SMAC's spiritual successor / copycat, Pandora, has also moved to a hex system after claiming in development that it provided superior gameplay depth and appeal) you increase the available positions for tactical management as well as empire-building and pathfinding (especially with regards to the AI, which already suffers in both 4x and RTS games on that kind of level).

It also enables 1UPT as a design decision where the advantages aren't too-hampered by the drawbacks of keeping one unit per tile. In short, according to the type of game the Civilisation designers want to make, 1UPT is desirable. The reduction in potential army depth / combinations is offset by the increase in depth that a hex-based system provides.

What About Ranged?

Ranged units having advantages is unit balance. 1UPT doesn't force superiority onto any specific unit type - map generation does more in that regard. Ranged units have counters in the form of high-mobility units, given their absolutely inherent lack of close-quarters defense (a Warrior at 50% health will still chew through most of, if not an entire, Archer squad. No promotions necessary). The ability to kite effectively with ranged units is an inherent advantage of ranged units and most of the reason why they both exist historically and in video games. Turn-based games actually further-increase the effectiveness of melee units because active kiting is impossible. Using ranged units, you have to predict static movement paths, turn by turn, making use of spotter units / elevated terrain. Unlike in a real-time game where you would be constantly forced to move your melee unit to remain in combat with the target ranged unit. Having a melee unit caught out at end-of-turn isn't always death for that melee unit. With a ranged unit it usually is given their relative lack of durability (including siege equipment and later on artillery).

The reason why ranged units are effective in CiV is due to ease of access to both elevated terrain and map generation being a bit iffy. The same code flaws were carried over to BE, which I'll get onto in a bit. There are, of course, some units that could be classed as overpowered. But this is strictly a balance concern, and not a flaw with the 1UPT system. Map generation favours coastlines; fractal paths seem to generate more diverse topology when compared to the intent of say, a Pangaean map (there is a mod for BE which I have mentioned - it's called Pandorus, sorry - which improves this dramatically). This limits available space and generally favours land / sea divides that also open up ranged bombardment from the sea. Combine this with a relative lack of prominent melee naval units compared to their long-ranged equivalents and you have lucrative coastline City spots being made easy targets for ranged bombardments. But again, this is unit balance, combined a bit with map generation code.

And In Beyond Earth?

Beyond Earth introduces a new spanner into the map generation paradigm - Canyons (in addition to the Mountains / basin hexes that existed in CiV). They may exist in some custom CiV map, I don't know, but I haven't crossed them in however many hours of CiV yet (Scenarios can burn for all I care, bliddy things).

So not only does the generation code by this point seemingly replicate less open ground and more broken patches of land, it is then further split by the existence of Canyons, which are only bypassed by melee units in the lategame with high-level Affinity upgrades (at the competitive level games are usually won by this point, and most skilled players can beat most AI players by this point, too. I frequently play up to Soyuz, if that helps).

This further prevents effective exploration by melee units, and Miasma hampers the long-term scouting and mobility of faster (melee) units. This doesn't mean that unit balance is out of whack, however, ranged units arguably are even slower and fragile than they are in CiV. But it's still easier, for a player, to rely on ranged units especially when it comes to handling chokepoints.

But none of this really relates to 1UPT. 1UPT would simply make shoving armies through chokepoints a bit easier. It wouldn't stop ranged units hammering chokepoints. It wouldn't stop Canyons breaking melee assault forces. It wouldn't stop the City strength by default wiping melee units out in two hits from the early game (by comparison in CiV it usually takes three hits to clear a Barbarian). That's City strength balance, which I've seen some people complain about as something that could do with being addressed. I agree with them.

But again. Still not about 1UPT. I've had a good look at the map generation code for BE (so by extension, CiV) and it's moderately horrendous. Several programmers did several bits of it, some of it is redundant, etc. However the existence of the mod Pandorus proves that this can be improved. Greater amounts of open ground. Less redundant resource plots (such as an Affinity resource stuck beyond a Canyon or in the middle of a mountain / basin range out of the reach of Workers which never gain any mobility options beyond the default). This fixes the perceived issues with 1UPT in designing an effective army with either melee or ranged units, or even a combination of both (which is the usual, I would think).

tl;dr

1UPT isn't flawed. It is a competent design decision - just like MUPT was for its time - based on available technologies and accompanying design decisions (like hex-based tiles). The issues often brought up to criticise it are more rooted in other factors.

While my preference would be either Endless legend or Galciv2, The system that's implemented in the way I like the most would be Civ4/SMAC.

To me, It is not just production that is the factor. Fighting enemy doomstack of infantry by spamming cannon and fighting enemy cannon doomstack with cavlry is enough "tactic" for me, and doomstack of recruit could be destroyed by less numerous elite soldier or by favorable terrian. It's no fun to "outsmart" AI by building few ranged unit and wait for their waves of infantry in Civ5 and CivBE. I would need to be saved by someone if I am in equivalent situation in Civ4. With BE inclusion of canyon (which I haven't find any use so far but stripping precious tile and making more chokepoint) and exclusion of promotion which making troop become specialist of something. CivBE's tactical is even further stripped down from Civ5.

It is worth noting that Civ5 vanilla used to compared unfavorably with Panzer General which is an 1UPT game made 15 years before Civ5 and some still consider Panzer's AI to be more competent. It is difference in the game scale that causing part of problem in Civ5 and CivBE as 2 tiles in both game can mean archer shooting across English channel.

It is not 1UPT that is entire problem. even if it is, changing anything will require calibration and balancing which will make new problem or amplify existing flaw this game have, and someone will surely complain about this.

Top Bottom