[R&F] No AI airforce or aerodromes anywhere ...

DrJambo

Crash-test dummy
In the two emperor games I've played and completed I've seen precisely 0 AI aircraft and 0 AI aerodromes. I have seen 1 AI airstrip.

Does anyone have a good working Mod to remove aircraft from being tied to aerodromes or remove the population requirement to build aerodrome districts? There is an "improved aerodrome" mod but it doesn't seem to work with R&F.

I actually have seen enemy aircraft. Just in my last game in fact. Unfortunately, the AI didn't seem to want to use them, even though they were in range of my units.

I often see the AI build aerodromes all over the place. Building and using aircraft on the other hand: nope.

Same experience here. Two emp games completed that both went into information era and none of the 6-8 ai built aerodromes.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arun4xpWERuXhd5eJ883YpOIYjMKtQ

Just tested this with my game. Three cities, two without aerodrome. Could not build biplane in two of the cities. After I enabled my mod, I could build biplane in all cities. So it should work.
I removed the requirement for the whole domain, so it should work with all type of planes.

Just extract the archive to your "Mod" folder. Works with saved games.

I do find it peculiar how an Aerodrome is required to build any aircraft at all. We don't need to build an Encampment to make land units (although it provides bonuses if we do), and provided our city is on the coast, we don't need a Harbour to build ships (likewise).

Given that all cities apparently have an intrinsic capacity to store a single air unit, I don't see why you can't just build a plane in your city. If you want the production and other bonuses, and an increase in capacity, you build the Aerodrome. Otherwise you get a maximum of one aircraft per city.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arun4xpWERuXhd5eJ883YpOIYjMKtQ

Just tested this with my game. Three cities, two without aerodrome. Could not build biplane in two of the cities. After I enabled my mod, I could build biplane in all cities. So it should work.
I removed the requirement for the whole domain, so it should work with all type of planes.

Just extract the archive to your "Mod" folder. Works with saved games.
Cool!

Tried it and it works and with Save games. Do you know why some mods don't seem to load and work with save games, while others like this do?

This is a pitty because having to deal with bombings and interceptions were very cool things in civ5, now I no longer need to build airplanes. The navy has the same problem, I do not see enough ships even for civilizations that should have a strong navy like Norway and England. We need they to improve this AI problem.

I do find it peculiar how an Aerodrome is required to build any aircraft at all. We don't need to build an Encampment to make land units (although it provides bonuses if we do), and provided our city is on the coast, we don't need a Harbour to build ships (likewise).
Maybe because Aircrafts are so powerful that they need some sort of limit to them.

I haven't progressed far enough in my current game to comment on the AI's production and use of air force.

But, in my game England had a large island to itself with 7 cities and they've settled a few cities on other continents, including one on mine.

From early on, they've maintained a massive navy, beelining to keep it the most modern around. With that navy they've been a constant threat to me and my ally city-states; conquering Hong Kong twice with a combination of caravels, frigates, and ground troops.

Both English invasions of Hong Kong lead to emergencies and wars of liberation. I have been unable to push England off my continent due to their superior navy (and now their darn Redcoats) combined with the placement of their city which makes a land approach impossible.

Meanwhile Brazil, my southern neighbor, beelined to their unique battleship and those are now menacing the disputed coasts. It's all shaping up to be an excellent late game.

Maybe because Aircrafts are so powerful that they need some sort of limit to them.

I don't find aircraft so powerful, particularly if limited to one per city without the district, that there needs to be such a barrier in the way of their production. They're already very late game units that cost a lot of production. I don't see why you need to sink a ton more production into an otherwise not very useful district to build a single one.

If anything, letting them be built without the Aerodrome levels the playing field and lets you establish a rudimentary counter to enemy aircraft more easily. Particularly if you are the AI.

Do you know why some mods don't seem to load and work with save games, while others like this do?
Theoretically you can specify that with a flag in the .modinfo file: <AffectsSavedGames>0</AffectsSavedGames> specifies that the mod can be used with saved games. If this flag is specified, Civ 6 will automatically load the mod if it is enabled.

"Theoretically" because it depends on the changes of a mod. Some mods have to be executed before turn 1 or they will crash or show unexpected behavior.

I don't find aircraft so powerful, particularly if limited to one per city without the district, that there needs to be such a barrier in the way of their production. They're already very late game units that cost a lot of production. I don't see why you need to sink a ton more production into an otherwise not very useful district to build a single one.
Airstrips can hold like 3 Aircrafts and aerodrome can hold even more. At that Point you may not need any army or navy units because you had whole game to build units and upgrade them and Aircrafts ability to stack and attack units and cities at will in one unit per tile is very strong.

I my immortal game, Victoria used a bomber against my battleships as they bombarded London. That put a bit of fear in me but then she stopped, not sure why. She was fighting a two front war, maybe the bomber got deployed elsewhere?

I have been bombed once by Nubia. That's it. I too would like to see late-game civs make use of offensive aircraft. It's almost too easy to just bomb them into submission and they do nothing about it except send more land units towards my bombers lol.

Just finished my first play through RF -- a space victory at Emperor difficulty.

At least two civs had a more advanced military than me, yet neither built even one single aerodome or aircraft. Two other civs built aerodomes, but neither built any aircraft despite ample opportunity. None of the other civs, whether advanced or not, built any aerodomes or aircraft, as far as I observed.

By far the biggest fail is the fact that my neighbor and bitter rival -- America -- failed to build any aerodomes even though its UU is a freaking P51 Mustang. That's a huge fail, especially because I took my sweet time discovering aerodomes, whereas America could have (and should have) beelined to its UU. I ended up taking all 8 of his cities in a dozen turns or so by overwhelming air power. Sad!

At the start of the war, America was roughly equal to me in terms of technology, so no excuse for ignoring the benefits of Flight, especially since its UB requires Radio, which branches off of Flight. You'd think the AI would prioritize this path for America.

Last edited:
This to me is one aspect of Civ 6 I have a difficult time forgiving. It's an egregious issue that needs to be fixed just like if units were running into the coast line and wasting every turn stuck on the shore. Really need Firaxis to up it's game on this. Hoping they come around but sadly disappointed it's gone on this long. C'mon guys. This is a really basic game feature and it needs to be fixed.

Top Bottom