No combat sound effects

Samanoske888

Chieftain
Hello, I have Civilization 3 Complete version 1.22 for Mac OS 10.5.8, and mainly everything works fine except the sounds that units are supposed to make when engaged in combat are completely absent. If I have an army fighting, the army leader makes the charging noises, and when units die or advance from experience they make sounds, but it's just while the fighting units are moving in combat, they are silent. Is there any way I can fix this?

Check your sound settings on your OS. I've got this error when using 5:1 settings on a stereo system.

5:1 refers to multi-speaker systems for surround sound.

Combat sound effects work fine on my system. I have Civ3 Complete version 1.22 Rev. A (v10667), running on OS X 10.7.5 (my MacPro is too old to run 10.8). I only use basic sound output.

If you really don't have Rev A I strongly recommend that you get the update from the Aspyr Support web site. It gives you the Universal Intel-compatible software, and there were some bug fixes in it as well.

I'm just using the built in speakers of my PowerPC G4 Laptop. How do I tell if I have Rev A? Is Rev A good for PowerPC or just Intel Macs? And will Rev A address my sound issue?

A Universal application, such as Rev A, can run on PowerPC or Intel. Rev A did fix bugs as well as enabling Intel-native execution. I don't recall whether it solved sound issues, but I would not be at all surprised if it did. And, a quick search of the forum brought up this post

Is Rev A something that comes with the game after the patch was released or do I have to download it separately?

If your version is not rev A then you have to download the patch from Aspyr Support and install it.

To check the version you have:

Select your Civ3 Complete application in /Applications/, in the Finder, and right click it.
Select Get Info.
Look at the Version information.
If it says "1.27 Rev. A (v10667), © 2005-6 2K Games, Inc. All rights reserved." then you already have the patch.
If it doesn't include "Rev A", then you need to patch it.

If your version is not rev A then you have to download the patch from Aspyr Support and install it.

To check the version you have:

Select your Civ3 Complete application in /Applications/, in the Finder, and right click it.
Select Get Info.
Look at the Version information.
If it says "1.27 Rev. A (v10667), © 2005-6 2K Games, Inc. All rights reserved." then you already have the patch.
If it doesn't include "Rev A", then you need to patch it.

That will appear to solve my problem as well, as my DVD is the older version.

Top Bottom