No sound on iPad

LFRANK

Semper Fidelis!
Just installed Civ VI for iPad and can’t get the sounds to work. Followed some other audio suggestions I found on the net but none corrected the problem, including a new install. This is the second installed game (Baldur’s Gate) where I could get no sound to play. I ended up returning it but don’t want to do that with Civ if possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The only suggestion I’d have is to restart the iPad, which you probably have done. This has worked in the past with other games when for whatever reason the sound just stopped working... Good Luck getting this resolved.

Tried Aspyr support and they couldn't help me at all, simply referred me to Apple. I was disappointed because it appeared they had no idea or real suggestions to offer other than 'restart'. Didn't help at all. After multiple attempts to fix the problem I've asked and am receiving a refund on the purchase from Apple.

Wanted to enjoy the game on the iPad but guess it ain't in the cards with this release.

Last edited:
I assume your iPad meets the minimum requirements for the game and because I’ve played lots of games on my iPad without a problem it’s probably reasonable to guess that the problem is unique to your iPad. That may indicate you have app on your iPad that’s causing the problem. Have you tried a factory reset and then reinstalled the game and no other apps?

If you still don’t have sound after a factory reset and clean installation of the game with no other apps on the iPad my guess would be your iPad is faulty.

Last edited:
If you still don’t have sound after a factory reset and clean installation of the game with no other apps on the iPad my guess would be your iPad is faulty.

It's a 9.7" iPad from April 2017, so pretty much the latest until the new student ones announced a couple of weeks ago. Mainly used for reading and searching from the comfy chair but the occasional game does sneak on (hello Desert Golfing).

Have tried resetting device, re-installing apps, and several other solutions without luck. The lack of sound has only happened twice and both apps were games. The first without sound was Baldur's Gate which I bought for nostalgia purposes and the latest was Civ VI. It's definitely odd that only those apps (so far) have had issues.

Point is moot now as I returned it for a refund.

Last edited:
Turn off do not disturb mode/volume always off or whatever it's called in the Control Centre. I've written several email to Aspyr about this - lots of us have the system sounds off on our Ipads.

I can't get the sound from the speakers on my 10,5 iPad Pro too, however I do get it on the earphones. Sounds from all other apps play on the speakers no problem, and I don't have any special silencing or sound off settings.

I have the same issue on my iPhone X & iPad mini4 as well. However, I do find some interesting things:
1. at first my phone and pad has no sound at all on speakers. I played a lot on my pad, like 5-8 hours, and the next day I suddenly start hearing sound from my pad speaker directly. I was surprised, and guessing maybe it's downloading sound from background.
2. The next day I tried it on my iPhone again, still no sound after a reboot, but when I connect my airPods, I hear the sound from my airpods! Super strange. But if I disconnect, I still cannot hear from iPhone's speaker.

Hope this helps, but it's definitely a bug for the game.

How frequently did you lose sound? I have a 9.7” 2017 iPad that I’ve just installed Civ 6 on. I’ve been playing Persia on it today with no problems so far.

Never had any sound at all from game. Started on initial install.

It's a 2017 iPad Pro also that I frequently play music, videos, and audio books on, so the sound works there, just not with any games. Did the same to Baldur's Gate, no sound at all. Maybe it's just games that hate me.

Last edited:
Never had any sound at all from game. Started on initial install.

It's a 2017 iPad Pro also that I frequently play music, videos, and audio books on, so the sound works there, just not with any games. Did the same to Baldur's Gate, no sound at all. Maybe it's just games that hate me.
  • Toggle Mono Audio On and Off
  • Plug and unplug headphones for devices with a headphone jack
  • Toggle your iPad’s Side Switch (if applicable)
  • that what i know

Top Bottom