No State Religion

Bellringer

Chieftain
I am desperate to acquire a state religion, so that I can switch to Organised Religion, do buildings faster and build monasteries for science. I did not found one as some guys have advised that founding a religion leads to bad diplomatic relations with others. But I can't even get it from my neighbor as she also seems to be without one. The other powers seem to be on another continent and I have no contact with them. How do I beg to be converted?

I am desperate to acquire a state religion, so that I can switch to Organised Religion, do buildings faster and build monasteries for science. I did not found one as some guys have advised that founding a religion leads to bad diplomatic relations with others.

I'm going to have to question your strategy here. Organized religion is a nice perk, but it's also hugely expensive upkeep wise. It's not something you should go out of your way to try to get. And monastaries are worth building in super science cities but they're not hugely important. 10% science in one city for 60 hammers is not a lot.

and founding a religion doesn't lead to bad diplomatic relations. What leads to bad diplomatic relations is converting to a religion that nobody follows. You shouldn't convert to a religion unless it will benefit you diplomatically. That applies equally to both religions you found yourself and ones that spread to you.

...and founding a religion doesn't lead to bad diplomatic relations. What leads to bad diplomatic relations is converting to a religion that nobody follows. You shouldn't convert to a religion unless it will benefit you diplomatically. That applies equally to both religions you found yourself and ones that spread to you.
This.
Discouragement of the founding of religions is primarily aimed at the earliest 3, Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism as there are far more important techs to get causing a rush to them to slow your empire down. Islam to a lesser extent is discouraged because the tech it comes with is very, very rarely worth getting....

There is no reason that founding Conf, or Taoism, which come with useful techs, or Christianity, which comes with a significantly tradeable tech is going to hurt you.

This.
Discouragement of the founding of religions is primarily aimed at the earliest 3, Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism as there are far more important techs to get causing a rush to them to slow your empire down. Islam to a lesser extent is discouraged because the tech it comes with is very, very rarely worth getting....

There is no reason that founding Conf, or Taoism, which come with useful techs, or Christianity, which comes with a significantly tradeable tech is going to hurt you.

Well, the Divine Rights tech enables you to build Spiral Minaret, which is a great boost to one's economy. Particularly if you've been building temples everywhere.

Personally, I like founding Judaism :)

AP, UoS and SM super temples are great fun (Spiritual with a Stone start please) and with sufficient cities can produce a lot of tech power, but going for Divine Right means delaying a lot of other important techs that power military victories. It is often not the best choice, but I like to go that route when I can.

Well, the Divine Rights tech enables you to build Spiral Minaret, which is a great boost to one's economy. Particularly if you've been building temples everywhere.
You would be better just putting the hammers into wealth to be honest - even in a cultural game DR just isn't worth it.

Get or trade for gold, Shwedagon--> Free religion. available on Esth.

Code of Laws early with Oracle if that's still an option or bulb Philosophy which is fairly easy. Could beeline theocracy also good trade bait. Or just stay pagan and go metal casting for forges which will give you your 25% boost and it'll apply to units too :)

Top Bottom