1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

no war

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by remko, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Calouste

Calouste Deity

You don't need a huge army if you play defensively and have Oligarchy and defensive buildings. An attack is not going to get very far if you can kill units in two shots.

2. peddroelm

peddroelm King

This is what I was arguing with

No - you need successful expansionist wars to be able to build, keep upgraded and then maintain a huge army in the first place ....

3. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

I repeat: "Of course, if you have that huge army, you might as well use it..."

Why are you trying to manufacturer a debate out of this?

4. peddroelm

peddroelm King

I'm not ... I was merely pointing out that your are not going to have that huge army WITHOUT going to war first. Thus you cannot use a huge army as a war deterrent in a peaceful game non conquest game - its not economically feasible (this thread is titled NO WARS) ...

5. Vatras

Vatras Warlord

You can do it without going to war. You are thinking armies of the size in the 30-years-war under Wallenstein, which needed to plunder & pillage all the time. But a solid army does not have to be that big in size :)

6. gunslinger6792

gunslinger6792 Warlord

I've found on King that the AI is hyper agressive. I've had two maps one with the USA and Russia and another map with germany. by turn 25 all 3 had declared war

7. fenwayb

fenwayb Chieftain

I've had no war for at least 300 turns (normal speed) now simply by befriending my neighbors...My military has been exclusively what militaristic city-states give me (Small army), and my 2 cities housed 18 world wonders (Juicy target), and I bordered the most aggressively expanding civ (Inca), but he loved me so I had peace the entire game

edit: I just reread that and realized that it sounds like I'm on settler difficulty or something...I'm not. It's prince, I was just incredibly aggressive with wonder building and didn't have Egypt on the map.